United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 38m 48s
Overall Rank = 1002/2352
Age Group = F50–54
Age Group Rank = 18/105
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed the night before know that the race was going to be delayed because of storms so I got an extra hour of sleep. Woke up and learned the race was delayed even longer, but ate my usual breakfast and tried to be chill about it. Got the message 90 minutes before transition opened that the race was happening with a shorted bike course. AG started 9:40 instead of 7:50, so almost a 2-hour delay. Stayed in the Airbnb until 45 minutes minutes before T opened, and had just enough time to park, walk over, and set up T. I had one guy on the left of me on the rack with a big plastic box that just fit between our wheels and then I had a woman on my other side that was taking up space on both sides of her bike and would only give me an extra inch when I asked. Annoying but whatever.
Event warmup:

I found Teresa and her friends after I set up transition so I hung out with them and started with them in the swim. Had time to drink a bottle of Nuun, take a gel, and pee in the portapotties. Started at 10:12.
Swim
  • 47m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim went SO much better than Buffalo. I stayed calm through most of the swim. My navigation was really good. I got a bit flustered around the first buoy. So I took the 2nd one wider to stay calm. I found myself several times trying to pass between two large men and feeling squeezed or afraid I was going to get kicked or hit. My first 500 was solid. I struggled in the second 500. But the remainder I got into a good rhythm and had a strong finish.
What would you do differently?:

My OWS. Start in a slightly faster wave so I don't need to do as much passing. Do 3 swims/week rather than 2. And try to start doing a longer swim session each week.
Transition 1
  • 08m 17s
Comments:

It was a LONG transition, 0.63 miles. Most was sidewalks that were mostly clear. But I still had to jog carefully. I used my road shoes and it felt like it took forever to get them on with my socks. And all my gear was in clear plastic bags to stay dry in case the rain started again.

Put sneakers near the swim out so I could slip them on and run faster. Figure out my cleat/pedal situation so I can use my tri shoes again.
Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 27.45 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a little crowded coming out of transition where the roads were narrower and people were trying to clip in and get up to speed. I stayed upright so I could navigate the congestion more easily and brake if necessary. I passed many people. Once I got out of the park, I brought the effort down, drank some, got into aero and tried to calm things down a bit. I didn't push it on the hills. My HR stayed in Z2 most of the time. And my effort level felt comfortable most of the time. Once I hit the turn around I was still feeling good. I saw Teresa just before that and she was looking great. Getting closer to the park and descent was sweet and my speeds picked up which was super fun.

Get my cadence sensor working on my Garmin. More Purple Patch live and VOD bike sessions. A LOT more time in aero outside closer to my race to prepare my neck. Get a new aero helmet that feels better. Get workable cleats on my tri shoes. Get power pedals. Practice changing bottles on tri bike. Train outside with regular tires and save race wheels for races. Get more comfortable with higher sustained efforts on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

There was some mud coming into transition. But I ran through it. Someone said it felt like a CX race. Found my bike easily. Switched stuff over pretty well.

Could be faster. But mostly went pretty smoothly.
Run
  • 2h 14m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot out there. There was a little shade but a lot of sun. I knew what I had to do. I stuck with keeping my HR in below z4 and walked the aid stations alternating water/powerade and taking ice most of the time to put in my pockets and eat slowly. My pace was pretty fast for the first 3 miles and then started to slow. Around mile 7.5 my stomach started to feel a little oogy, as if I was taking too much. I slowed down the liquids and took some coke a couple of times in the second half. The last mile I picked up the pace again and ran strong to the finish. I LOVED seeing so many people I knew today during the run—Jeff, Teresa, Beth, Camille, Dotty, Sara, Talline, and Bill 3 times.

Not much. Felt much better than I usually do during the run. Maybe keep the pace in check in the beginning so I don't go out too fast before my HR catches up. But mostly I ran it really smartly with the terrain and weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, a little walking, food. Felt ok. Never felt like I had sausage fingers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Push a little harder on the bike, smoother swim

Event comments:

I would do this race again. First IM branded race and it was run very smoothly, especially considering the weather delays. Parking/transition/finish/swim were too spread out. But that was all communicated ahead of time so no surprises.

Last updated: 2021-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:08 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/105
Overall: 1418/2352
Performance: Average
Avg HR 135 Max HR 158
Suit: no
Course: One loop with 3 buoys to turn at. Gradual beach entry and exit, not rocky or weedy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 08:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:00 | 27.45 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/105
Overall: 1303/2352
Performance: Good
148 bpm Avg HR 162 bpm Max HR
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills, nothing too steep, closed course, some through the park and the rest an out and back on large roads to plenty of space to maneuver.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:58 | 13.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/105
Overall: 1002/2352
Performance: Good
162 bpm Avg HR 172 bpm Max HR
Course: Mostly flat with a hill heading into downtown. Park trails and downtown roads with LOTS of out and back sections.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes