BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-07-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole - shin splints are usually caused by too much volume too soon...I doubt that would be a problem for you with all the jumping in VB and the running around in football you do.  A few years ago I had this pain in my shin that was horrible, like hard to walk horrible, and then it just went away.  Hopefully same for you.  My running shoes go from "fine" to "done" like overnight so maybe that's your solution.

Today for me was a 3+ mile treadmill run with 4 'R' pace intervals...felt great.  Then I did my leg workout and a cool down swim.  2500 yard swim tomorrow morning and then Stage 1 at lunchtime (which will be an uneventful ride around here).  My last four stages are in the France world in Zwift, which will be really cool as they're doing a big group ride thing to celebrate the Tour de France Femmes this month and I'll be riding with like a thousand people.  Zwift is the title sponsor for it, which is a great thing for women's sports. 

Good call on the shoes. Ordered new ones last week and they arrived the next day! Haven't gotten out on them but am aiming to run tomorrow. I think fatigue was definitely part of it as well. Not sure if it was too soon for a brick workout. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

2022-07-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nat, definitely enjoy your vacation! It's all about balance and sounds like sleep was the balance you needed.

Mike, good luck with the non-taper taper this week. Excited to hear how your race goes.

Gretchen, I feel your pain on that heat! That'll take it all out of you!
2022-07-05 3:25 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I got a bit drunk Thursday and Friday, so Friday morning and Saturday were a wash for me in terms of working out. I was much better at moderation the remainder of the weekend. Got a 60 minute PZ ride in Sunday morning. Was in severe pain after though. The muscle right under my glutes was so tight and sent shooting pains anytime I bent even a little bit. Probably lasted about 3 hours (soaked in an inflatable pool for a while and didn't notice the pain after that, so think it helped). Has anyone even had that? I did a little research and think it might be related to tight hips? Either way, I NEED YOGA.

Played a couple hours of volleyball yesterday and some spikeball at my friend's place. I DD'd to keep myself from being tempted to drink much. I'm in a weight loss competition that started Friday so I wasn't doing awesome after the weekend but am back on track now.

Got in a 45 min PZ ride (zones 4 and 6 mostly), followed by Tunde arms (restarted the challenge), and 10 minutes of core.
2022-07-05 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I got a bit drunk Thursday and Friday, so Friday morning and Saturday were a wash for me in terms of working out. I was much better at moderation the remainder of the weekend. Got a 60 minute PZ ride in Sunday morning. Was in severe pain after though. The muscle right under my glutes was so tight and sent shooting pains anytime I bent even a little bit. Probably lasted about 3 hours (soaked in an inflatable pool for a while and didn't notice the pain after that, so think it helped). Has anyone even had that? I did a little research and think it might be related to tight hips? Either way, I NEED YOGA. Played a couple hours of volleyball yesterday and some spikeball at my friend's place. I DD'd to keep myself from being tempted to drink much. I'm in a weight loss competition that started Friday so I wasn't doing awesome after the weekend but am back on track now. Got in a 45 min PZ ride (zones 4 and 6 mostly), followed by Tunde arms (restarted the challenge), and 10 minutes of core.

Yes, yes, and yes you do. 

I get tightness pretty much everywhere back there but it's tough to nail down the cause sometimes.  Something wrong with your back could put pressure on your hip flexors which cascades to your hamstrings, etc.  

Our "core" pretty much starts with our lats all the way down through our hamstrings on the back side of our bodies counterbalanced with our abdominis (upper and lower) and hip flexors balanced out with our obliques and abductor and inductors.  All of them, plus all the little ones like our psoas need to work together to keep us injury free.  I know I just oversimply mansplained that but you get what I mean.  When we're younger or have really good genetics it's easy, as you get older (like I am) and / or injured (like I am) those become much more important which is why core work is tablestakes for me to play anymore.

Yoga certainly helps, but additional core strengthening work like planks, bicycle and scissor kicks, and even crunches (done correctly) all help as well.  I'm sure the Peloton app has some good core ab/core stuff.  If you're looking for some cycling-specific stuff look up Abi Carver.  She does the Sufferfest yoga track.

2022-07-06 2:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Uh oh, Fit Nat is getting a beat down from food and wine this week!  No worries, we all deserve a little R&R so enjoy.

Definitely a hands down win for Fat Nat this week and last. Just doing some damage control at this stage, trying not to lose too much fitness and gain too much weight.
Managed a short run intervals session yesterday morning and some river swimming, climbing upp rocks and diving off them in the afternoon.

My last raced I hammered the swim and bike and just survived the run, this time I'm going to ease through the swim and hammer the 8 mile bike and collapse at the end of the run.  The run is flat so that should help.  The race is only like a half hour drive from here so painless.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Sounds like a plan. How long are the swim and run?
2022-07-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl How long are the swim and run?

Basic sprint tri - 750M swim and 5K run. 

2022-07-07 2:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a 30 minute run yesterday morning, followed by 10 min of core and a little yoga. I picked a bad class though, it was way too hard for my not flexible self, so I gave up and showered. Played some vball last night and was super tired. I need to start tracking, as I am eating well but probably not getting enough of what I need for energy.
Oh and I biked to and from volleyball because I don't have access to my parking pad at the moment thanks to DPW and didn't want to deal with parking when I got home. Forced me to pump up the tires and get the bike out though so I'm actually kind of happy (for now). We'll see how long it takes DPW to fix our alley so I can park again...

Got in a PZ ride this morning, mostly in zone 3 with pushes into zone 5 the last 15 seconds of every minute in the intervals. Pretty tough but I felt good. Was super slow getting out of bed, so am aiming to do core, arms and yoga after work.

Taking Mike's advice and trying to get core work in every day. And yoga. I'm going to try to make a 10 minute class (minimum) part of my daily routine. It's easy enough to fit in. I have a yoga mat in my office that I've never used, so now's the time!

Fit Nat is going to crush it!
2022-07-08 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I just made the decision to defer my sprint to next year as tomorrow looks like end of the world rain here and Mike don't play in the rain (at least not heavy rain like that).  I can already feel the rain coming as my whole body is sore even after sleeping 10 hours (!!!) last night.  Not worth it for a C race, though I'm now in like $180 for a sprint race LOL.  Now I'm looking for another one to do during the summer than lines up with my schedule and it's not looking all that promising, so maybe next race stop is my Oly in September.

2022-07-08 2:45 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I just made the decision to defer my sprint to next year as tomorrow looks like end of the world rain here and Mike don't play in the rain (at least not heavy rain like that).  I can already feel the rain coming as my whole body is sore even after sleeping 10 hours (!!!) last night.  Not worth it for a C race, though I'm now in like $180 for a sprint race LOL.  Now I'm looking for another one to do during the summer than lines up with my schedule and it's not looking all that promising, so maybe next race stop is my Oly in September.

Wise decision. It’s not fun if it’s not fun
2022-07-10 3:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Back from 2 weeks vacation. Not much training, too much eating and drinking. Back on track tomorrow!
2022-07-10 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Sorry you had to defer Mike, hopefully you find something suitable before September.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday Nat, even if it involved stupid long drives. As others said it's all about balance, and too much eating and drinking sounds like the right balance for a visit to the south of France.

Last week I got 3 zwift rides and 3 runs. For a total of 3 hours. Nothing much to write home about, but the best week I've managed since my covid encounter last month. Unfortunately over the weekend we, (Me, Mrs BF and Mr 5) have picked up a bit of a flu. Negative for the covid test, so no isolation required but lots of coughing and feeling run down all around. I am so over this winter.

My resting HR was 10-15 bpm higher than usual last night, so definitely fighting something. So it's a couple of days off AGAIN for me. Hopefully by Wednesday/Thursday I'm right again and can kick on with a strong end to the week and build on the little step forward I've made.

Of course that's also going to be difficult with Mrs BF's sister coming to town Wednesday-Monday for her babies 1st birthday party on the weekend. And my Uncle flying in from Australia on Thursday for his first visit since the pandemic. Lots of excuses, but there are going to be lots of family commitments in the 2nd half of this week. I shall do my best.

2022-07-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, Saturday was miserable. Definitely smart to defer. We definitely lack good races around here after July though. I know this won't be before your Oly, but you should do the Baltimore Tri this year! What Oly are you doing in September?

Nat, your vacation sounds amaaaazing, and it's nice to let loose a little. I hope getting back on track is going well!

Andrew, nice work last week! I'm sure it feel great to get some consistency back. Think of all your visitors as people to help your wife while you work out
2022-07-11 8:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a really great weekend.

-Friday had another late/lazy wake up, so did a 30 minute run around the park.
-Saturday did a 60 min PZ ride, followed by 10 min of arms, 10 min of core, and 20 min of yoga.
-Sunday did a 45 min PZ max ride - brutal the day after a 60 minute ride, but it went well! Followed that with 10 min of core and 20 min of yoga.
-This morning...another late/lazy wake up. I woke up around 3:30am and took a little to get back to sleep, so had a hard time waking up to my alarm. Got in a 20 min intervals run and followed it with 10 min of arms. Still want to do my core and yoga today, but also have vball this evening so we'll see what I get around to.

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend!
2022-07-11 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Had a really good week of training and I'm through nine stages of my Tour de France challenge.  About 180 miles so far.  More coming up this week.

@Andrew - man you guys always seem to have some bug running around your house.  UGH.  Hope you all feel better.

@Nicole - nice work on the core and yoga; there are actually plenty of sprint tris around here they just don't mesh up with my schedule...and I promise I'll do the Baltimore Tri one day - we're out of town this year but I have no excuse otherwise as I can ride my bike to the race site.

@Nathalie - hope you had a great trip

2022-07-11 5:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew - man you guys always seem to have some bug running around your house.  UGH.  Hope you all feel better.

Yup, its been a rough period for sure. The conspiracy theories say that it's the mRNA vaccine we all had to take that weakens your immune system. The official line is after 2 years of isolating ourselves from the world we've naturally weakened our immune systems. Maybe it's either, or both... but one thing is for sure, I have never ever had a run of illnesses like the last couple of months. It has been awful. What a sh1ty winter
2022-07-12 2:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work on the TDF and Core work Mike and Nicole, keep going.

Weighed myself yesterday morning and I didn’t like what I saw, how can you put on so much weight (4kg) in 2 weeks? Oh well.

Went for a 10k run yesterday, tried to sprint the last km at 4:50 pace but only managed 500m. I didn’t beat myself up too much about it, it was my first longer run, I need to get back into it. Today I’ll do a bike focused brwim. Still off work this week so I have time for 2 hours training a day. Back at work next week though.

Next race just 18 days away, a super fast one. I really want to do well here and push myself. I may do another one a week earlier and count it as training.

2022-07-12 7:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew - I definitely found that once things started opening up and we weren't wearing masks constantly that there was a period where I was picking up every bug. I definitely agree that isolating for so long weakened our immunity. You will get through it!

Nathalie - You'll drop that in no time. Also, super jealous of your European vacation time. 3 weeks off straight sounds glorious, and it's going to be great having a week to recoup after France. Enjoy!
2022-07-12 7:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
45 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 min core and yoga. Definitely feeling a difference, although planning on doing some longer yoga sessions next week when I'm on vacation to try to jump start my muscles.

I leave Saturday and am away until next Sunday, but there is a nice looking gym at the resort we are staying at so hoping not to miss a beat. I'm still in this weight loss competition, so planning on continuing to eat well and not drink much. I'll be with my family, including my 3 nephews who are 8, 9 and 10, so sometimes a drink is needed...
2022-07-12 4:00 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Enjoy your vacation Nicole, hope you manage to keep the excesses to a minimum better than I did. Then again, it’s healthy to let go once in a while.

Yes, we are spoiled in Sweden when it comes to vacation time (it’s not the same in the whole of Europe). 3 weeks is actually less than some of my colleagues who takes 4 weeks in a row (which is what you are entitled to by law) or even 5. I normally take 4 or 5 weeks but in two parts. So I am only working 3 weeks and then get another 2 off.

Had a good brwim today, although a little slow on the bike.

Sorry to hear you are sick again Andrew. Had the same thing back in January/February this year, 3 colds (not even the infamous C19 one) and a bout of vertigo (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) to be precise). 6 miserable weeks.

Hope you get better soon.
2022-07-13 10:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
BPPV is HORRIBLE! I had it about 2 years ago for a few weeks and it was definitely not fun. Glad yours is gone. No bueno.

Nice work on the brwim!
2022-07-13 10:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in an hour PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 minutes of arms and 10 minutes of core. Gonna do some yoga today/tonight.
Feeling some fatigue for sure, as I've biked 4 out of the last 5 days, but also have felt surprisingly good. I have to redo my FTP test, but am going to wait until after I'm back from my vacation. I'm finishing up a challenge and might have to do some of the rides on non-Pelotons and without my PZ bar, so that will be a little different but better than nothing!

2022-07-14 2:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

BPPV is HORRIBLE! I had it about 2 years ago for a few weeks and it was definitely not fun. Glad yours is gone. No bueno.

First had it about 12 years ago, this was the 3rd time. By far the worse and longest.

Runs intervals yesterday, today a swim focused brwim and a round of golf tonight.

2022-07-14 7:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
45 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 min core and 20 min yoga.

Still doing pretty well with my diet, so hoping that continues while I'm at the beach next week. I'm down 6 lbs pretty solidly from the start of the month.
2022-07-14 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Stage 12 in the books this morning, which was supposed to be a progressive race (you hold with the pack, getting faster and faster until the last lap and then everyone races all-out) but I was a little late getting going and they "progressed" faster than I could handle so I bailed and did a recover ride with some sprints.  Wife is doing the Tour de Echelon (competitor to Peloton bike) and I just more or less followed their ride leaders' instructions.  Legs were kinda toast this morning anyway - apparently I can't be racing 15 minutes after waking up LOL.

So far I've been to Maryland (my outdoor rides), Crit City, New York, Richmond, Watopia, and Makuri Islands.  If you've never been on Zwift, you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Tomorrow is an easy ride followed by a short run, then Saturday is my longest ride of the tour at about 45 miles.

Hope everyone is having a good week - happy Friday Eve!

2022-07-14 7:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

45 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 min core and 20 min yoga.

Still doing pretty well with my diet, so hoping that continues while I'm at the beach next week. I'm down 6 lbs pretty solidly from the start of the month.

Good work, tough when you’re on vacation, though, don’t I know it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43