BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-01-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

New user

Hoboken NJ
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Overdue check in! Fun birthday week and seeing people in real life after so much time was uplifting. Overall I was pretty good and stuck with the running despite the freezing temps. The weekly group run at the local Fleet Feet shop has been great. I am 4 for 4 and get to claim my free swag next week - going for all 8 weeks through Feb!
Swimmies: After getting more time in the pool, I treated myself to a swim analysis from one of my club mates who side hustles in swim training. She sent me back a video analysis with list of drills. I'm overwhelmed but excited and will start implementing this week. I also registered for the Nave-sink-or-swim OWS in May. Not *too* far from Maryland if anyone wants to come up for the weekend https://raceforum.com/navesinkUse code NAV-8 through January 31 if you're interested.
Biking: Eased off this week as the run mileage went up. Saving the legs for a freezing ski trip to VT.

@Nicole - I buy Pearl Izumi bike shorts on deep sale from Sierra.com (it's part of the TJ Maxx/Marshalls brand). I recommend sizing up. In general, quality bike shorts were a life changer on the bike, the thinner but more cushioned chamois that stays in place improved my attitude towards biking indoors and out! Agree that Peloton seat might also be quite wide for lots of miles.

@Andrew - Love the 100% streak of finishing, that's a great metric!

Edited by NicoleJulia 2022-01-27 1:11 PM

2022-01-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

New user

Hoboken NJ
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Mike, 24 degrees doesn't sound too bad... until I remember you use freedom units, not metric. that's nasty.

lolol@ "freedom units"
2022-01-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: NicoleJulia

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie - Welcome back! So glad you're feeling better!

Nicole - Thanks for the info! I will check out the Pearl Izumi's for sure. Still haven't pulled the trigger on buying any but will look into after my trip to San Diego (leave Wednesday!).
I will consider that swim in May, but need to get back in the pool first haha. Another thing I will look into after my trip

Work last week was rough, digging out from the grant submission (everything else stops for submissions). I managed to do a 45 minute ride Thursday. It was my first PZ Max ride (lots of firsts for me with this PZ challenge). Then Saturday I got in a 75 min PZ endurance ride, and yesterday did a pretty brutal 60 minute bike boot camp. It's gonna be another busy week leading up to my trip, but I'm hoping to get in at least 2 more rides. Then my plan is to do some runs while in warmer weather to start getting that fitness back. I'll be more motivated to run in the cold after I see where I'm at in terms of fitness in better weather.
2022-01-31 10:20 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole J:  no go for the OWS for me; I'll be recovering from my sprint tri in Palm Beach, Florida   Have fun skiing!

@Nicole E:  that grant process just sounds awful; yeah, our weather here has been brutal for running lately so I don't blame you

As for me, I'm now 12 weeks into my training plan and so far so good, minus this spondy flare-up (I have a nickname for my back injury...isn't that cute?).  January was a good month overall with the most swimming since May (just over 10K yards - yeah, I know that should be a good week).  I felt great in the pool this morning...really getting that snap back in my upper body and my kick is improving to just above zero.  I'm also settling into a routine after fiddling around with different timings during the week.  Back on the treadmill tomorrow morning after a short VO2 max bike workout (which I hate at 6 AM!).

Hope everyone has a great week!

2022-01-31 6:33 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well last week definitely a recovery/sloth week.

2 very short runs, 1 60 minute run and 1 zwift spin. 2 and a half hours for the week. Least since June. Planning to be back to normal this week.

Kicked off Monday by pushing the stroller for a short 1 with Miss 1, followed by a ramp test on zwift (first one in over a year) in the evening. I don't think I executed it perfect, possibly a little under. But my FTP jumped up a little, 235 - 245. Maybe next week I'll try a full on 20 minute FTP test. Not sure I'm brave enough for that.

@Nicole J, hope you are enjoying the skiing.

@Nicole, How is the bike seat/shorts saga going?

@Mike, sounds like you're ticking along nicely. lol at naming your ongoing back injury. At least you can laugh at it rather than letting it get you all demoralized.

Also, I finally did a race report. Its main purpose is for me to read in 10 months, the next time I'm considering doing more stupid stuff I'm unprepared for. But if anyone wants a read about a slow depressing 70.3, it can be found here: https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2022-01-31 10:53 PM
in reply to: #5278903

New user

Hoboken NJ
Post Ski Beer Report!
Continue to love and support Snow Republic in Dover, VT. Bonus points for dog friendly.
I stuck to the House taps, their descriptions not mine.
- DOG DADS. South of the Border Canadian Pilsner with Comet and Galena hops. This Vernadian pils has a refreshing taste with a distinct hop aroma, delicate fruity flavor and sweet aftertaste. 4.5%.
- SQUEEZE THE KERNEL TO FIND THE GOLD. A cream ale with 100% Idaho malt and flaked corn. Light, Creamy and Smooth… Like Travis! 6.4%.

Skiing was great, No lines on weekdays, went straight through til we dropped. Now back to that swim bike run thing ??

2022-02-01 8:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole J:  no go for the OWS for me; I'll be recovering from my sprint tri in Palm Beach, Florida   Have fun skiing!

@Nicole E:  that grant process just sounds awful; yeah, our weather here has been brutal for running lately so I don't blame you

As for me, I'm now 12 weeks into my training plan and so far so good, minus this spondy flare-up (I have a nickname for my back injury...isn't that cute?).  January was a good month overall with the most swimming since May (just over 10K yards - yeah, I know that should be a good week).  I felt great in the pool this morning...really getting that snap back in my upper body and my kick is improving to just above zero.  I'm also settling into a routine after fiddling around with different timings during the week.  Back on the treadmill tomorrow morning after a short VO2 max bike workout (which I hate at 6 AM!).

Hope everyone has a great week!

So you're going to masters soon then?
I'm gonna try to go back after my trip. Definitely needed
2022-02-01 8:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nicole - That skiing and beer sounds like a pretty fantastic combo!

Andrew - you deserved some rest! Gonna read your race report later this week, just trucking through these next couple days.
As for the shorts saga, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've spent a ton of money this month so might wait until later in February.

Mike - I like the injury name. Easier to yell at it when it shows up.

I got a PZ ride in this morning, pretty tough one! Think I'll get one more in before my trip but I'm gonna wait to decide tomorrow morning when I see next week's plan. There will be a test at some point so I need to figure out how it will fit in once I get back to get the most out of it. Followed it up with a 5 minute cool down ride and 10 minute stretching sesh.
2022-02-02 2:35 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Skiing, beer drinking, what’s the 3rd sport of that particular triathlon?

Hope the back gets better soon Mike

Nice recovery week Andrew, what’s next?

2022-02-02 7:38 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
45 minute PZ ride this morning. Still lots to do before my trip, but mentally already in Cali.
2022-02-02 6:50 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nice recovery week Andrew, what’s next?

Well, I've got 5 half marathons scheduled over the next 10 weeks (was supposed to be 5 over 6 months, but covid related rescheduling). So a bit of running I guess. The organizers say that they have an approved plan to run events, but so many things are being cancelled here at the moment, until I'm running over the timing mats I'm not confident of races happening...

2022-02-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5279723

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! What amazing training you’ve all been doing to start the year off right!! Well done! I’ve just finished reading everyone’s submissions to catch up and I’ll get a bio up soon (yes, sooner than my IM report which I still have yet to do - by the way, well done on getting the HIM in Andrew!).
I survived another round of covid this year - went through the house save the 14 year old who had it with me last year. (Maybe he had it but had no symptoms, who knows).
Hey, new Nathalie - I live in VT and saw you came to spend some tourist dollars here, thank you! Haha. We just got 18” of snow at the house last weekend but also well into negative numbers on the temps so skiing was tough.
Okay, I’ll get a bio up soon - just wanted to say hi!
2022-02-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: #5279842

User image

, Vermont
Oops, it looks like BT deleted my signature line - it’s Jenn by the way. I’ll look into getting that fixed too.
2022-02-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all! Back from Cali and I am TIRED! It was wonderful though, the weather there was so perfect. I got in two runs while there. It would've been more but I don't have unlimited data and apparently the Peloton app for android doesn't let you pre-load a workout. I could've run without it more, but getting back into it I prefer the guided motivation (aka this is a big old excuse lol). I also played some volleyball Saturday which was wonderful. Didn't sleep well while I was there. My friend that I went with would stay out late, come back being loud, and then immediately start snoring, so my sleep was definitely limited. Feeling it today for sure.

Welcome back, Jenn! So great to hear from you, but sorry about the COVID stuff. Glad everyone is getting better.
I didn't realize my signature line is gone as well. That's odd.
2022-02-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew good luck with all the running! Hopefully they are able to happen.
2022-02-09 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Training is continuing to progress with a couple of bike rides and a swim so far this week.  2400 in the pool at 6 AM this morning, including my first ever off-the-wall sub-1:30 100.  I've also been doing prescribed bike workouts vs. going by feel and I'm starting to see some results.

@Nicole E:  jealous of San Diego (I LOVE it there), but I'll be in Florida and Hilton Head for six weeks starting the end of February (taking my bike with me - yay outside rides!!) so I shouldn't complain too much.

Tomorrow is another 6 AM ride then I'm going to see Louis Tomlinson (yes, the One Direction guy) with my daughter  tomorrow night down in DC.  She couldn't get any of her friends to go with her so I'm going to replicate Paul Rudd's SNL "oldest One Direction fan" skit. 

2022-02-09 9:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah, in just a couple weeks I will be the one jealous, as my tan fades away. But definitely had a more than a few moments where I was like, I could see myself moving here...haha

Have fun at the concert! I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it and it will be a special night you guys will always have to look back on!
2022-02-11 3:22 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
How was the concert Mike? Live music is ”always” great, don’t care who’s playing. And sharing a moment with your daughter is hard to beat.
One of my favourite bands (Counting Crows) were supposed to come to Europe next month (first time in years) and I have Tickets to see them but they have postponed the tour to October. Oh well.

So, I thought I was back a couple of of weeks ago but I go sick again, first a bad reaction to my covid shot, then some kind of vertigo similar to miniere disease (but not that). Still suffering from it but f*ck it, I’m ignoring it and did a full weeks training this week. It helps a bit actually, doesn’t make it worse anyway.

After 2 months of hardly any training, it’s great to be back on track.

Have a great weekend all!
2022-02-12 6:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well I survived my immersion into the mosh pit of 14-25 girls/women.    My daughter and I had a great time - Louis T. was really good and those "disposable pop" artists always sound better live anyway with the crowd energy and he tends to rock up his music live, too.  I was SO not singing along.    Also a good opening band "Sun Room", sort of a Ramones / Franz Ferdinand sound with a Southern Cal slacker vibe.  I'm like you, Nathalie, I'll listen to all kinds of live music and the joy was just washing over people for it finally happening.

Got home late Thursday night so no training yesterday.  I was actually sore from all the standing (we were GA) and I don't think Doc Martens were the right footwear choice for that.  At least I fit in.  LOL

We get 60 degree weather today and snow tomorrow morning.  90 minute sweet spot ride this morning and I'll get in a swim tomorrow as long as the roads aren't bad.

@Nathalie - hope you finally get better and good on you for at least forcing the issue a bit.  I got really sick for a month like 3-4 years and that just sucked.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-02-12 9:59 AM
2022-02-12 7:55 AM
in reply to: #5279843

New user

Hoboken NJ
Jenn- hi! Where in VT? We are planning a Stowe trip at beginning of March.
Nathalie- I'm now in a counting crows throwback loop on spotify
I love seeing everyone's awesome training on Strava for those posting and living through your travels

This was a solid week of consistency and I feel good taking advantage of the weather. Got in 3 runs including long run that didn't destroy me, casual bike outside, nice to be off the trainer, 2 messy swims working on drills and starting to get the hang of this one goggle in breathing thing, a strength session, and perhaps most importantly a much needed happy hour. The local tap was Hoboken Brewing, and I enjoyed the Bodi Blonde Ale: ABV 5.5%: A Patrick Swayze/Point Break inspired brew! Bodi Blonde is a coconut-infused blonde ale with hop-drive notes of fresh citrus. Capturing the light, crisp taste of summer, Bodi is designed to be enjoyed year-round. Whether you’re chasing the ultimate rush, or looking to relax, we’ve got you covered. Dedicated to the legend himself…”Vaya con Dios”
2022-02-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

, Vermont
NicoleJulia - I’m about 50 minutes from Stowe, closer to Burlington! We ski Stowe!! Let me know when you’re here and if I’m off I would LOVE to finally meet a BTer!

2022-02-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: #5279900

User image

, Vermont
I got home from my trip yesterday and started my three week vacation! Woohoo! I did some shoveling yesterday (totally counting that haha), last week on my trip I did a couple of Beachbody workouts, some stretching and a walk/run.
The temps dropped here again and it’s bitter outside, hopefully they make some snow at the mountain, yesterday’s warm temps took a bit away.
2022-02-13 8:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by NicoleJulia

Nathalie- I'm now in a counting crows throwback loop on spotify
I love seeing everyone's awesome training on Strava

Yeah, good for you! I ”forget” about them regularly and then binge on their music when I remember I love them.

I have started sharing a bit more on Strava. Let’s Connect there!

First swim training with the Masters for a couple of years, first swim training for about a year and first swim since my last race on 6th September this morning at 8:30
I have a 20 min drive to the pool and woke up at 7:50. A little stressful to say the least. Once there, after such a long time without swimming and not much training in the last 2 months, needless to say I struggled to keep up with my lane (the slowest one of course).

Took som breaks to let them pass me and rest a bit until the coach told me to use my fins when the rest where using hand paddles (as I have issues with one shoulder and didn’t want to add resistance), which I did even after they had dropped the paddles and was able to keep up. I’ll use them for the whole session next time,

Thus ends my first full week of training since early december

2 x trainer rides : 2h30
2 x runs 2h03
1 x swim 1h30
1 x strength 45 min

Happy with that

Hope the weekend is going well

• 2022-02-13 6:58 PM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Jenn, Welcome back to the group. Enjoy the 3 week holiday... not jealous at all... nope not at all. You can use the break to write your Ironman race report

Mike, That's cool you are able to go to a concert with your daughter... you are in a different world to us now. And of course that the training is ticking along.

Nathalie, nice solid week. Good job!

Nicole J, Same to you, another nice solid week training. Keep it up.

For myself, it has been a weird week. We have been away for a friends wedding (which was stinking hot, but lovely) most of the week, so did very little training during the week, and then ran 1st of the half marathons series on Sunday.
    2022-02-13 7:03 PM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Race Report, Coatsville Half Marathon (Summer series 1/5)

It was a different experience with our draconian covid rules at the moment, no expo, no vendors at the finish, no atmosphere, not even a bag drop. Show up and get into your allocated, isolated starting pen (groups of 100 or less), run and go home. BUT, at least it was on. So many events in NZ are being cancelled every week at the moment, so good job to the organizer for finding a way to make it happen. Hopefully we get the remaining 4 races in the series away.

For the run itself, a half marathon every fortnight is too much for me to 'race' so I'm targeting the final of the series in April for my good performance, these first 4 are glorified long slow training runs. (but training runs in different locations to usual and with aid stations which is nice) The weather was awful, A tropical cyclone was hitting the country that day, it was so, so windy. Bu the humidity was down significantly on the last week so I'll take it. The plan was same run 60 sec, walk 30 sec schedule that I did at the half ironman in January, and planned to walk up the 3 significant climbs (about 1000ft elevation gain on this course) and I though that would get me home in a comfortable 3 hours.

The run pretty much went as planned, even splits of 59:xx for the first 2 thirds. I slowed a little towards the end and lost about 4-5 minutes in the final third of the run. Hills, into the wind, fatuige, and my IT band playing up again for the first time in months are my excuses. Finished in a time of 3:04:18. So slow, but pretty much where I expected to be. And not totally destroyed for the next week which was an important goal.

(Coatsville 22 - low res.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Coatsville 22 - low res.jpg (262KB - 15 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43