BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-09-15 7:47 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Oh yeah, I meant to comment on the Christmas shopping being done as well. That is very impressive. I'm more on the lines with Mike. Weekend before Christmas, oh I guess I should figure out what people want! The kiddos (niece and nephews) are mostly pretty easy, but I also do the shopping for my mom from my dad, and she's really really hard to buy for.

Nathalie, I like the no gifts idea, or one big gift. My mom likes to buy lots of stuff and my siblings have always given like, one gift to each person, but we also all tend to buy what we want for ourselves so it's never easy and kind of pointless.

2022-09-15 8:33 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Got in a 45 min PZ ride this morning. I'm really exhausted, but heading to Atlantic City after work today for a weekend of (mostly, other than working from the hotel tomorrow) relaxation, and lots of volleyball. Aiming to run at least 2 of the days I'm there.

I spoke to my nutritionist the other day to make a plan for the weekend. I often end up drinking more than I want to at weekends like this, so trying to balance it so as not to completely derail my weekend and training. Figured I'd share some of the tips here in case anyone is interested:
1. Have snacks readily available. I am bringing some dry roasted edamame (has become a staple for me), yogurt with fresh strawberries, and some sandwich stuff.
2. Make a loose plan for the day each morning. Pick one meal to be your all out meal. So if you're going out to dinner, eat lighter for all your other meals (but don't skip any!). Also, when you go out, find "all star" items that are going to be really worth it, and try to avoid fillers like free bread.
3. Check map for nearby restaurants to find places to get those lighter meals.
4. If you have friends that kind of "expect" you to be drinking, a) let them know your goals so they can support you rather than encourage you to do the opposite and b) have a koozie and alternate between alcohol and seltzer water so you stay hydrated and are always "drinking" something.

2022-09-15 9:06 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - good luck at the (I'm assuming) tournament this weekend.  I spend like five summers playing down there in the 90s back when the Jersey Shore Volleyball Association was still around - Belmar, Point Pleasant, Wildwood, and AC.  Fun times!  I'll hold down the fort tomorrow and not take any . 

I got in a short treadmill run this morning (about 3 miles with 12 minutes at tempo) plus a short, easy strength session and swim cool down.  Kind of in maintenance mode now as I start to taper. 

2022-09-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I feel I should clarify that I am NOT normally a Christmas shopping finished in September kind of person and am more than willing to forgo the entire holiday. It has gotten too commercial and too much about the stuff over the last several years and I don't much like it. I'm lucky in that my wife is very laid back and would much rather get something she wants than have me fumble about for something and never get it right. I receive links throughout the year as "hints". Other than her, I buy for my nieces and nephews still in school (they get cut off when they graduate!), so I'm down to three now and my parents. My wife has to figure out her family, which is much more into Christmas.

I made it to the pool today for 2650yds of a random assemblage of distances from 25 to 300yds. Our coach is away for the weekend, so one of our teammates posted the workout and it was just a bit weird. Couple that with everyone kinda going a bit crazy being left unsupervised and we had three mid-lane collisions today because people kept stopping in the middle of length to chat and comment on each other's form (totally weird). Is it a full moon?

Nicole--enjoy your tournament!! With my friends, I've found that there are certain people I can tell I don't want to drink for whatever reason and they respect it. There are others I have to have a glass in my hand no matter what or they don't leave me alone (not the good friends, obviously). For those folks, a cocktail glass with ice and something liquid usually suffices--they don't have to know it is coke, or whatever...

Mike--enjoy taper!
2022-09-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Blew off Masters this morning - wanted to sleep in and I had a really light day at work so I had some time during the day to train.  Got in 2K in the water including a 1K TT at Oly pace, then came home and rode a little over 20 miles also at Oly pace.  Both really solid...taper is working and I have the "snap" in my legs and arms right now.  I'm hoping I can hold this peak another week.

Getting in some OWS practice this weekend at the River. 

2022-09-16 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5282805

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I blew off everything today…work got in the way. I spent seven hours trying not to break my grant budget in buying plane tickets to Egypt for next month. It was just plain ugly. After that, I had no energy to do anything except collapse on the couch.

2022-09-17 2:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Blew off Masters this morning - wanted to sleep in and I had a really light day at work so I had some time during the day to train.  Got in 2K in the water including a 1K TT at Oly pace, then came home and rode a little over 20 miles also at Oly pace.  Both really solid...taper is working and I have the "snap" in my legs and arms right now.  I'm hoping I can hold this peak another week.

Getting in some OWS practice this weekend at the River. 

Can you talk us through your taper strategy? What do you do/ don’t do?
2022-09-17 2:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 45 min PZ ride this morning. I'm really exhausted, but heading to Atlantic City after work today for a weekend of (mostly, other than working from the hotel tomorrow) relaxation, and lots of volleyball. Aiming to run at least 2 of the days I'm there.

I spoke to my nutritionist the other day to make a plan for the weekend. I often end up drinking more than I want to at weekends like this, so trying to balance it so as not to completely derail my weekend and training. Figured I'd share some of the tips here in case anyone is interested:
1. Have snacks readily available. I am bringing some dry roasted edamame (has become a staple for me), yogurt with fresh strawberries, and some sandwich stuff.
2. Make a loose plan for the day each morning. Pick one meal to be your all out meal. So if you're going out to dinner, eat lighter for all your other meals (but don't skip any!). Also, when you go out, find "all star" items that are going to be really worth it, and try to avoid fillers like free bread.
3. Check map for nearby restaurants to find places to get those lighter meals.
4. If you have friends that kind of "expect" you to be drinking, a) let them know your goals so they can support you rather than encourage you to do the opposite and b) have a koozie and alternate between alcohol and seltzer water so you stay hydrated and are always "drinking" something.

Thanks for sharing the tips. Hope you have a fun weekend!

I need to give up drinking. Not for weight loss (although that would probably help).
Had a 3 weeks break at the end of my racing season and fell great for it. Drank 2 glasses on Friday and 2 on Saturday last week and felt like the whole Sunday. So, back on the wagon, we’ll see how long it lasts this time.

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-09-17 4:01 AM
2022-09-17 2:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I blew off everything today…work got in the way. I spent seven hours trying not to break my grant budget in buying plane tickets to Egypt for next month. It was just plain ugly. After that, I had no energy to do anything except collapse on the couch.

Did you find some plane tickets? Seems quite late to buy them now, prices tend to be higher the closer you get to the date (over here at least)
2022-09-17 2:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Last weekend of rest for me before I start a structured training plan again.

Went to the gym yesterday and tried all the machines with low weights and did some stretching.

Today, will probably go for a swim, or a jog, or a ride, or all of the above. Or not. If I feel like it.

Enjoying not ”having” to.

Have a great weekend!
2022-09-17 5:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie:  I have a pretty tested and true tapering strategy, which works for all distances that I do (= 5k runs through Oly tris):

• 4/3 weeks out are the toughest weeks of the training plan...not necessarily the longest individual workouts but a lot of volume; this year I already have a ton of volume so the increase was just a little
  • 2 weeks out:  drop volume about 20%, start to eliminate early AM workouts and focus on better sleep, drop alcohol consumption and tighten my diet; workouts become very race-intensity specific; strength training drops to a mainentance mode
  • Final week:  drop volume a ton, still keep some intensity,  practice race conditions where I can (Wednesday I'm doing a dress rehersal with wetsuit, transitions, racing kit, everything...but it'll be really short like 400M / 6 miles / 0.5 miles); days off 5 and 2 days before (so Monday and Thursday for a Saturday race); Friday will be a short pool swim with some sprints, short bike ride build to race pace, same with run; big focus on sleep and nutrition this week; only strength training is the PT I do to keep my body from falling apart

This year is a little different as I'm barely tapering on the run do to my really low run volume this year (my longest run will be today, one week out).  I actually tapered more on the bike than anything else which is kinda backwards where I would normally taper run first and the most.

This is a great question / discussion point...what does everyone else do?

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-09-17 5:33 AM

2022-09-17 4:03 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

I don’t have a strategy, I just take one or 2 extra day off on race week. Maybe cut down on intensity towards the end of the week.
2022-09-17 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks for sharing. Interesting. I don’t have a strategy, I just take one or 2 extra day off on race week. Maybe cut down on intensity towards the end of the week.

Ha!   Yeah...I might overthink this a little.  

2022-09-18 2:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks for sharing. Interesting. I don’t have a strategy, I just take one or 2 extra day off on race week. Maybe cut down on intensity towards the end of the week.

Ha!   Yeah...I might overthink this a little.  

Maybe, but if it works for you, then that’s what you should do.
2022-09-18 9:49 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Taper…ummm…whatever the training plan says?

Ok, generally for an A race it looks like reduction in volume to 80% two weeks out and 60% the week of race, while keeping intensity. If I’m still strength training (ummm…rare), I cut it out. Then two days out I take complete rest and the day before short 10/20’ SBR to make sure everything still works—stroke, bike, legs. I always give up booze and really focus on diet and hydration about a month out. It is amazing how good you can feel if you drink some water that hasn’t been forced through coffee grounds first!

For a B or C race, generally it is train as usual and take the day before off. Ideally they come at the end of a training block so the next week is recovery, but that doesn’t happen as often as I’d like.
2022-09-18 9:56 AM
in reply to: #5282840

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday I did a short 35’ run and then took the dog for a walk, which doesn’t count as any type of exercise because she is old and very slow (30’ for a half mile kind slow). She loves it though and she’s so old we are at the point we do just about anything to make her happy, because we know she is near the end.

Then I spent the rest of the day doing things around the house to get ready to leave for my trip—little stuff like hanging the sound bar for our surround sound and cleaning out the garage. I always say that if I were half as peptide in my everyday life as I am in the weeks leading up to leaving, I’d be unstoppable! Alas…I’m not.

@Nathalie—I normally buy tickets about eight weeks out, which seems to be the sweet spot of balance between their cost and my anxiety about getting them squared away, but this time I had to wait until the fellowship contract got signed and funds released, which was dependent on my security and study permits coming through from the Egyptian government. Egyptians don’t have the same sense of urgency (about anything!) that I do…you have to trust that it will happen (it always does), but it will happen much later than you want it to. It has taken me many years to adjust to their timetables, but there is simply no rushing an Egyptian, let alone their government bureaucracy, which is a model of ridiculous inefficiency.

2022-09-18 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So I decided to channel my inner 'Gretchen eats a dodgy mayo sandwich' last week and picked up a minor bout of gastro/food poisoning (I highly suspect the takeout tempura prawns we had for dinner) Anyway, long story short, stomach felt terrible, didn't want to run too far away from a toilet, etc... ended up with a very short week training.

Good news (Apart from weighing in about 6lbs down on last week) is Monday morning I'm feeling good (things have mostly firmed up ), so will be back on zwift tonight and hopefully into an uninterrupted week.

Christmas Shopping I appreciate you did what you had to do to keep the wife happy... But I'm firmly in the Christmas eve mall dash club. The song clearly says there are 12 days of Christmas. None of them are in September! (Mrs Bullfrog however started buying Christmas lights for the deck on the weekend. So we are somewhat of a divided household on this)

Taper Its been a while since I've done one, Generally I loosely the canned plan I've been working from. I don't think I've successfully executed enough to quote percentages or anything but 3-4 weeks out is the biggest week, drop a bit of volume 2 weeks out, drop some more volume @ 1 week, but increase intensity (i.e. short sharp workouts to wake up those muscles) I do like to do a bike and run the day before. I always feel sluggish if I've had 2 or 3 days off in a row.

Nathalie Enjoy your last week off. What is your training plan building towards? It's a long way till your season restarts I think?

Nicole Hope you enjoyed the volleyball

Gretchen What's the internet like in Egypt? Will you be leaving us again or are we going to get to experience training whilst on an archeological dig vicariously through you?

Mike How's the taper madness treating you?

DQ We all want to help you bud, where are you?
2022-09-19 3:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

For a B or C race, generally it is train as usual and take the day before off. Ideally they come at the end of a training block so the next week is recovery, but that doesn’t happen as often as I’d like.

Are the B and C race not taken into account in your plan?
2022-09-19 3:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

So I decided to channel my inner 'Gretchen eats a dodgy mayo sandwich' last week and picked up a minor bout of gastro/food poisoning (I highly suspect the takeout tempura prawns we had for dinner) Anyway, long story short, stomach felt terrible, didn't want to run too far away from a toilet, etc... ended up with a very short week training.

Nathalie Enjoy your last week off. What is your training plan building towards? It's a long way till your season restarts I think?

DQ We all want to help you bud, where are you?

Following Gretchen's lead is often a good idea. Not when it comes to eating dodgy food....

I suppose, it's just maintenance from now on until the new year. 2 rides, 2 runs (one shorter-intense, one longer-easy) and (at least) one proper strength session a week.
No swimming because I can't stand the pool and the lake is soon too cold. There will be some sitting in the near-freezing lake all winter though

You're right, it's a long way until a new season: first one is a 10k at the end of March, then another one 1st May. Triathlon season starts early June...

yes, where are you Dave!?

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-09-19 4:18 AM
2022-09-19 8:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
" The song clearly says there are 12 days of Christmas. None of them are in September! "

I love that!
2022-09-19 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  dude, you can't catch a break...food poisoning sucks.  Well at least it's a good weight loss starter.  LOL  No taper madness yet for me - I'm getting in just enough work to not go insane.  Maybe by Friday. 

@Nathalie:  "sitting in just above freezing water" - you people are nuts

Got in my planned long run and a short OWS on Saturday, then just did a walking workout yesterday.  Typically I might take today off but decided to get in a short bike ride and my last core session.  Treadmill and swim tomorrow morning.  I did get up early but woke up naturally, so figured get it done then while watching the Queen's funeral.  Wow what a spectacle - so much history (not all of it good vis-a-vis the monarchy, but regardless the woman is one of the most important leaders in modern history). 

2022-09-19 10:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie:  "sitting in just above freezing water" - you people are nuts

Queen's funeral.  Wow what a spectacle - so much history (not all of it good vis-a-vis the monarchy, but regardless the woman is one of the most important leaders in modern history). 

Although where I come from, we cut the monarchs' heads off 200 years ago, I lived in England long enough to understand the void that her passing leaves.

I am not watching the funeral though...

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-09-19 10:08 AM
2022-09-19 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  You're right, it's a long way until a new season: first one is a 10k at the end of March, then another one 1st May. Triathlon season starts early June... yes, where are you Dave!?

Never too early to plan.   

I have a sprint tri in Florida in March then either a sprint or Oly in June here in Maryland.  Training plan starts mid-December.  I'll try to sprinkle a couple of short run races in there as well.  I deferred a tri in July this year so I'll have that, too, but I think they'll let me move it so maybe I'll do something different or use that credit for the June race.

2022-09-19 1:33 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew--sorry to hear about the GI issues. Maybe this is the hard lesson you need about following my lead! I usually have some pretty stupid ideas! My mom once told me I was the "dumbest smart person she ever met", which I think she meant as a a joke, but the more dumb injuries I wrack up, the more I think she might have been being honest.

@Nathalie--B and C races are in the training plan, but not of super high importance to me, so I usually treat them like big training days. I try to schedule them where they should go as per training planers say, but I'm not good at that--largely because we have so few races here it is hard to do.

@Mike--don't let work get to you too much! You need a good proper taper crazy for a tri! I always think that if you don't have a little madness, it doesn't feel like race day has really arrived.

I hit the pool this morning for 2950 (and no, I didn't realize, or I would have swum the extra 50 to make the number nice and round). We did a "roll the dice" workout, which means there were 11 sets written on the board numbered 2-12 and we rolled a pair of dice to see which set we would do. It was okay, but felt really disjointed. The sets ranged from a 50 all out to a 500, with everything in between in terms of length, tempo, stroke, etc. There was no uniting theme to the workout and coupled with the fact that I was the middle swimmer of the pack--two really fast guys to my left, two really slow older folks to my right--it was hard to get my head into the workout. I'm supposed to get in a run this afternoon, but I think I'm going to skip it. I did something funny to my knee on Saturday while getting up off the ground and it feels like something is stretched or something...just off. It felt off when I was pushing off in the pool today too, so I don't want to really injure it. No pain, just weirdness, which hopefully means it will go away in a day or two.

Internet in Egypt is improving and has been quite reliable over the last couple of years. I'll be keeping up my logs and trying to check in when possible. It usually is just the sheer quantity of work I have to do when I'm over there that really gums up the works.

2022-09-19 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Gretchen continues to impress with her incredible training regimen:

26 hours of swimming is FIERCE!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43