BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-02-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nicole, The car was so packed you didn’t have room for a pair of running shoes! Wow but a weekend off once in a while can’t be bad

Yes that’s the vertigo I had. Had it before years ago so I did the thing I was shown then which made it go away in a couple of days. Not this time. Had it for 3 whole weeks but it’s finally gone! There is another technique which I have learnt on Tuesday but it was almost gone by then so I didn’t do it more than once with my physiotherapist. I know it now, should it come back.

Andrew I feel for you, here we are getting back to ”normal”, there are still quite a few cases but not many are very ill so the healthcare isn’t overwhelmed anymore.

2022-02-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nicole, The car was so packed you didn’t have room for a pair of running shoes! Wow

SNAP!!!  Shots fired. 

Glad you're feeling better, Fit Nat.  When I had my vertigo problems all those years ago they did a CT scan, didn't find anything, and told me to rest and take Tylenol.  SIGH. 

2022-02-27 4:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
3rd win in a row for Fit Nat. A good,solid week when I managed not only to train with the running club I joined in January but also managed to get up early this morning for my Masters swim and go to the gym for a proper strength session.

Total: 7.5 hours
one swim 90 min
2 rides 150 min
2 runs 120 min
1 strength 90 min

How about you peeps? Good week?
2022-02-27 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

3rd win in a row for Fit Nat. A good,solid week when I managed not only to train with the running club I joined in January but also managed to get up early this morning for my Masters swim and go to the gym for a proper strength session.

Total: 7.5 hours
one swim 90 min
2 rides 150 min
2 runs 120 min
1 strength 90 min

How about you peeps? Good week?

Great Job Fit Nat.

Not so fit bullfrog this week.
3 runs, including half marathon 2 of 5. 3 hours, 45 minutes total.
1 zwift, 30 minutes.

Total 4:15.

This coming week is about consistency... I need to re-find some.
2022-02-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Devonport Half Marathon - Race Report
Half Marathon Series Race 2 of 5

My training since the race 1 has been poor. So I didn't have great expectations of massive improvement. My plan was to use the same 60:30 sec run:walk schedule for the majority of the run, either walk or flip the run:walk intervals on each of the 3 smaller climbs per lap and walk up the north head climb. Success would be a) maintaining the run:walk intervals the whole run (i.e. not turning into multiply km's of walking) and b) close to even splits. My expectation was to finish around the 3 hour mark.

Unfortunately, my running buddy has decided to sit out the rest of the series, his partner is expecting their first child soon so they've decided to avoid large crowds to make sure he isn't in covid isolation when baby comes. Understandable and definately the right priority, but makes it lonely for me.

First lap went really well. Followed the run/walk strategy well, maintaining 8-8:30/km (other than 2kms at just under 9min/km going up north head) Had no long walk breaks, even maintained the 60:30 run:walk up the 3 smaller climbs (other than a short walk up the steepest section of climb 2) I went under the start banner to end lap 1 in 1 hour 26 minutes. Slow, but as good as I could expect given my lack of fitness. I maintained the same pace until the first climb of the 2nd lap, about 12.5km into the run.

I made the choice to walk the climb, but when I started up the run:walk intervals my pace had dropped off dramatically. Slowing to about 1min/km slower during the run segments. I walked all 3 climbs on lap 2, and despite maintaining the planned run:walk schedule was almost 10 minutes slower on lap 2 than lap 1. (looking back at strava, most of that loss came in the last 6km or so of the run)

I finished in 3:02:18. disappointed to not be under 3 hours. But 2 minutes faster than race 1, on what is usually a slower course. (much better weather this week tho)

Really, I don't think I did anything particularly wrong. 21km running is just too far for my current fitness. Unless I power walked the whole thing, I think a drop off was inevitable. All I can do is train more consistently over the coming weeks, and try to drop some of those excess kilos.

(Nth Head.jpg)

(Devonport.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Nth Head.jpg (117KB - 8 downloads)
Devonport.jpg (306KB - 9 downloads)
2022-02-28 1:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Way to go Andrew! Thanks for the report. When’s the next one?

2022-02-28 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thank you.

Next one is in a fortnight. Not much time to get fitter :/
2022-03-01 5:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Thank you.

No but you are getting fitter by doing these!

2022-03-01 7:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Thank you.

No but you are getting fitter by doing these!

A little bit. But in between recovering from one HM, and a bit of rest before the next one, there aren't many days left to actually build fitness

I'm looking forward to getting through this series and doing a proper build for something latter in the year.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
2022-03-03 5:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

A little bit. But in between recovering from one HM, and a bit of rest before the next one, there aren't many days left to actually build fitness

I'm looking forward to getting through this series and doing a proper build for something latter in the year.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Yeah, I guess.

Fun work out with my running group last night

90,60,45,30 seconds alternating over and under your 10k pace.

In my case, my 10k pace is around 5:45/minute so it went like that

90 seconds at under 5 minutes per km
90 seconds at 6 minutes per km
60 seconds under 5
60 seconds at 6
45 seconds under 5
45 seconds at 6
30 seconds under 5
30 seconds at 6

3 x above

Loved it. The coach told me, as we were jogging back that I had a nice tempo, I should run marathons. I laughed.

10k is the most I ever want to run, and it has to be after swimming 1500m and biking 40k (not always though, a stand alone 10k is quite fun too)

2022-03-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

, Vermont
@ Andrew, that’s exactly what it is.. political.. note that in the US, midterm elections are coming up so everything is suddenly relaxing..
In my state the governor said each town can decide if they want to have mask mandates since each town is vastly different than another with population, etc. The way my town is going, we will be in masks until the end of time. The State of the Union address showed nary a mask but my kids are still masked going to school (high schoolers).. though over 80% of them are vaccinated. So frustrating.
End rant.

2022-03-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: #5280175

User image

, Vermont
Just got back from a week of skiing and it was super fun. It’s taken me a few days to recover (didn’t sleep so great that week) and I think I’ll be able to get some kind of workout in today. The sun is out and it’s a beautiful day. We had another dusting last night of snow so the roads are iffy. I may throw the bike on the trainer and jump on Zwift for a bit. I’d been focusing on strength this winter a bit more which has been good for skiing. Time to get back on the horse.. err.. bike.

Gosh, I just realized I haven’t done a bio yet.. or my race report.. doh..
2022-03-03 7:51 AM
in reply to: #5280176

User image

, Vermont
@ Andrew: way to go on the race, it sounds like a tough one! You are definitely building fitness as you go but I understand what you mean about building a proper foundation.

@ FitNat: you are crushing it. I love that you’re in a running group and have a coach overseeing everyone.
Way to go in another first place!

@ OG Nat: getting some solid work in! Any ax-throwing lately? (I love that and you’ve pushed me to look into it in my own area. Haha).

@ Mike: solid weeks! That’s great you will have access to a lap pool where you’re going, that’s so huge.

@ Gretchen and Dave.. where are you guys??
2022-03-03 7:52 AM
in reply to: #5280177

User image

, Vermont
Also.. Sappho.. where did she go?
2022-03-04 6:28 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 @ Andrew: way to go on the race, it sounds like a tough one! You are definitely building fitness as you go but I understand what you mean about building a proper foundation. @ FitNat: you are crushing it. I love that you’re in a running group and have a coach overseeing everyone. Way to go in another first place! @ OG Nat: getting some solid work in! Any ax-throwing lately? (I love that and you’ve pushed me to look into it in my own area. Haha). @ Mike: solid weeks! That’s great you will have access to a lap pool where you’re going, that’s so huge. @ Gretchen and Dave.. where are you guys??

I reached out to Gretchen a few times via PM and no answer.  I know how to get through via SIU (where she taught) but I feel if people are done with the sport / site / community or have things that are more important I don't think it's cool to keep chasing if that makes sense.  Ditto with DQ.  

2022-03-08 3:33 PM
in reply to: #5280178

User image

, Vermont
@ Mike, gotcha, I agree.
Back on the road; I got another ski day in last week back home but that was it. We’re about to embark on some home renovations so I’ve been out straight with planning for that. Super short “over day” here in Portland, OR and heading toward Long Beach tonight. I’m hoping for some warmer weather and a slow jog outside tomorrow.

2022-03-08 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I also agree, I think trying to contact someone through their place of work would be crossing a line.

Hopefully all our missing BDASer's are doing well and are in a good place. I'm friends with DQ on myfitnesspal, and I've liked/commented on some of what happens there, but no response. I think websites like BT in general are really struggling to keep users, when I started Triathlons there must have been over a dozen mentor groups here, and pages of new posts in the main forums every day. Now, ghost town.

We're all internet dinosaurs. All the kids are off on tick tock or something :S
2022-03-08 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Happy with my weeks training.

4 rides on zwift, 2 hr 30.
4 runs, 2 hours

4:30 total. Biggest week since my HM. And 6 days where I did something. So frequency is on the improve.

Half Marathon #3 is on this weekend, last time I did this series was summer 19/20, covid was starting to arrive in NZ in March and at this race the extent of restrictions was a request from the race director to go home if you felt unwell, and some and sanitizer stations around the start/finish area. 1 week later we went into lockdown #1. What a weird 2 years it's been...
2022-03-09 12:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, forums are a thing of the past unfortunately.
Good that you get to ski so much. I usually go once a year to a very small resort not too far from here but not this year.

Good week Andrew.

Had a bit of a week off last week (no swimming, shorter and less intense rides and long run, only the intervals with my group was done properly).
Also,I started this week with a day off but I am back on track tonight with my running group.

2022-03-09 4:53 PM
in reply to: #5280240

User image

, Vermont
Good luck this weekend, Andrew!
2022-03-13 7:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hope it went well Andrew.

Good week for me, apart from skipping Monday’s long ride, I’ve kept to the plan.

So 1 ride 45 min
2 runs 130 min
1 swim 90 min
1 strength 60 min

How was everybody’s week?

2022-03-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
4 zwift rides, 2 hours total.
2 runs, 3hr 47 total.

5 hours 47 for the week.

My half marathon was tough. Definitely the hardest of the 3 so far. The course with its big arse hill in the middle is one reason, the heat and humidity on race day another. And my general lack of fitness of course. But whatever the combination it was tough. It was one of the days when from step 1, it was hard and felt like it would be a tough day.

First 10km, out to the hill, followed my 2min run: 30 sec walk plan fairly closely. Not fast, but went through 1/2 way under 90 minutes. So on a par with the previous 2. Walked up the climb as planned. Back down on the flat I tried restarting the run/walk plan but my legs/willpower were gone. I decided my run pace was so slow, may as well power walk it in. I did force myself to run a couple of times on the flats, but predominantly walked it home.

The one positive is I beat my previous time on this course by 8 minutes. Although I feel that is more about how bad the previous time was than how good this one was.

Onwards to race 4 in a fortnight.

Edited by bulfrog 2022-03-13 3:33 PM

(Maraerai 1 lr.jpg)

(Maraetai 2 lr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Maraerai 1 lr.jpg (180KB - 4 downloads)
Maraetai 2 lr.jpg (120KB - 7 downloads)
2022-03-15 1:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Even if the previous time was bad, you have improved since then so kudos!

Went for a lovely mtb ride yesterday as my ”long” ride, as the racer is still on the trainer and the weather was too nice to stay indoors.

Have a great week all!

2022-03-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all! I have been off the grid the last couple weeks, but am caught up now!
Nathalie - agree, a break is nice, although I wasn't really doing enough at that point that it warranted a break, haha, but it's all good, as I'm back in my workout groove now! Also, Fit Nat is CRUSHING it! And I agree on the "nothing over a 10k." I've always been a middle distance runner, so even a 10k is long, but so far the only time I've done more is when it's split up (i.e. a Ragnar or similar relay).

Andrew - I still have not (and not sure I ever will tbh) completed a half marathon, so the fact that you did one at all to me is impressive. I hope it helped you focus your training a bit for the next one!
Nice job on the HM too! 20 minute PR is huge!

Jenn - Lots of axe throwing! I had a tournament a few weeks ago, and actually won my league for the 3rd time about 2 weeks ago! I'm the first woman to win 3 leagues at my venue, so that's pretty cool! You DEFINITELY have to look into it. I know there's a venue in Boston, but not sure about Vermont. I am sure there are some, although they may not be affiliated with one of the national groups, but will still be a blast regardless!

Definitely miss our former BDAS'rs. I'm friends with DQ and fb and he seems to be doing well! He's engaged! Seems to be doing well. He's doing "a year of gratitude," so each day posts about something he's grateful for. He seems to be doing well and it's lovely seeing all his positive posts. Maybe one of these days there will be one about us and this sport

I think I got everyone!
2022-03-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Okay now that I'm caught up on all of you, I can fill you in a bit on what I've been up to. The weather here has been all over the place. I was between PZ challenges so hadn't been riding as much, but a new one started this week so I'm getting back into a good routine. Have also been on a few runs and will be ramping that up (considering I have a race in a month and a half, it's pretty needed). The runs started out a bit rough but I got one in yesterday, after a 45 min PZ ride (not right after, just later in the day) and felt pretty good.

I also made it to masters practice once a couple weeks ago. I was sick 2 weeks ago and again last week, but am starting to feel better so am hoping to make it back to masters soon.

I just signed up for a sprint tri in June (Rock Hall) that my friend is using as her first triathlon. I was tempted to do the Oly the day before too but decided I don't really feel like overdoing it.

That's pretty much it for me. I'm also doing a Peloton arm challenge (it's a Tunde challenge, for those of you who know who she is). It's 30 weeks long, just 10 minutes a day 3 times a week, so totally doable and I have a feeling it's going to hurt. She is a beast.

Hope all are well! I know forums are a thing of the past, but I love our check ins and catching up with people from all over the world who are into our sport! I think if BT updated the website people might be more interested in joining. It's so old that I'm sure people just getting into the sport are like, oh no, that's clearly a fossilized website
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43