Disney
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 9s
Overall Rank = 6/36
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at ~6:30 (for a 9:30 start time!) but had to worry about driving to magic kingdom (getting lost several times), shuttling to Ft. Wilderness, etc.
Event warmup:

Light jogging, and a few faster pushes for a few seconds. Didn't want to do a lot because my legs still feel heavy from a long bike ride I did Thursday.

Unbelievable, but we WEREN'T allowed into the water to warmup swim before the race!
Run
  • 12m 2s
  • 1.7 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Just trying to stay comfortable. It's hard to swim right after a run, but it's also hard NOT to push it in a short run race.

The course was supposed to be 2 miles, but unless someone slipped me some steroids, it was WAYYY short!
What would you do differently?:

Who knows.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Just took a little extra time to pour water on the goggles to make sure they stayed sealed on my face.

Nothing. Just wanted to treat this race casually.
Swim
  • 08m 57s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was VERY winded after the first run. I even asked myself why I was going so sluggish and realized that I was going as fast as I could go considering how out of breath I was!

Nothing. Being out of breath is just the nature of the beast.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Pretty cut-and-dry. Went without socks for the second run because I figured it'd take too long to put them on with wet feet.

Nothing. Did well.
Run
  • 13m 5s
  • 1.7 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I wasn't in this to get a great time, I knew that a few people passed me in the swim and I also knew that if I could beat them in a run once, I could do it twice. I passed two people fairly quickly after the run started, and saw a third person with about 1/2 mile to go. Overtook her in ~1/4 mile more and didn't let anyone else pass me to the finish.

Nothing. Very happy with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Easy jog with another athlete over the whole course again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

70+ mile training ride I did on Thursday!

Event comments:

I'm very disappointed in this race...not my performance, but the way it was put on. Race packet HAD to be picked up on Friday at the expo (which closed at 6PM) so those of us driving in from out of town after work were screwed. They told us that as long as the right paperwork was given, someone could pick it up for me. Sue was nice enough to do that, but they STILL gave her a hard time about it!

Then on race morning we HAD to leave the hotel by ~7:30 to be at a race that doesn't start until 9:30 because of the logistics of parking, shuttling, etc.

They said transition was to open at 8:30AM and close at 9AM. Unfortunately, the kids triathlons also held that morning were still going on and we didn't even get in there until 9:00! Finally got that set up and were herded out as a group to the run start.

After standing in the sun for about 5 minutes, they told us that the holdup was because the buoys weren't set up right yet. OMG! THE BUOYS WEREN'T EVEN READY??? They actually let us stand in the shade at the side of the road until they got that straightened out.

Then it's on to the run which was SOOOOO short it's unbelieveable! And after all that sprinting the after-event festivities included water and Powerade. OMG! Not a bagel or banana to be seen! THEN I found out that there weren't even any medals to be awarded. How lame is that??? I could've lived with that (there were only 80 men&women in the whole event) if it weren't for everything else. That was, by far, the lamest event I've ever been in.

Last updated: 2006-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:02 | 01.7 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 6/36
Performance: Good
Course: Once around a route through Ft. Wilderness area. Nice, shaded path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time:  00:31
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting out of shoes: Good
Swimming
00:08:57 | 400 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Overall: 9/36
Performance: Average
Suit: two-piece tri suit
Course: counterclockwise triangle in a lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:32
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:13:05 | 01.7 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 6/36
Performance: Good
Course: Same as first run except a few extra hundred yards to make it past the transition area and around the corner to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2006-09-24 9:49 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Disney Aquathlon

2006-09-25 5:51 AM
in reply to: #550445

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Disney Aquathlon
DITTO on the lame event. It was fun to watch though.
2006-09-25 6:19 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
No medals?  Definitely lame.  But what smokin' run times! WOW!
2006-09-25 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Thw whole weekend was lame.  Just another way for Disney to make money.  Super fast as usually tho!!!
2006-09-25 9:10 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Yeah, you're out of breath at that pace...I'd be dead on the side of the road!  How do you run so doggone fast???? Sorry the event was so lame!  Nice times.  One day I want to run like you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disney Aquathlon Rss Feed