General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching HRM in transition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-06-22 5:43 PM

User image

Subject: Switching HRM in transition?
I'm sure this has been asked, but it's been hard to search for :P I have Garmin's HRM-Swim that I use for my pool swims and my first triathlon in 20 years is this weekend (2nd tri ever lol). I have a Garmin Fenix 5, wrist HR doesn't work in water. I have read that people don't bother wearing the HRM-Swim in biking or running because it's a pain. I'm wondering, if I have a tri workout going on my watch, can I take off my HRM-Swim and then switch the wrist HR without stopping the workout?

I have a Garmin HRM-Run strap, but it seems to have stopped working.

Anyways, trying to figure out what the hell to do for this race! I know I could just not have HR working for the swim, have wrist HR on for bike run, but that would be a bummer.

Also, I know HRM-Tri or Pro is the real solution, just no money to get it :P

Thanks for any thoughts!
-Ryan

2022-06-22 7:38 PM
in reply to: ryanoelke

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Switching HRM in transition?

Congrats on your first tri in 20 years! 

I'd run a test on it to see if what you're proposing works if you really want to do it, but the main question I have is what value is the HRM-Swim during the race?  You can't see it real time for the most part so the only value is afterwards and by then it's too late.

I use a Wahoo HRM strap throughout the race.  It does nothing in the water (though I think my Garmin Fenix 6 does something) and then I use it for the bike and run where the instant feedback is much more valuable. 

Good luck in your race!

2022-06-22 8:31 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Great question! One weird thing is that I learned to swim as an adult, and while I have improved dramatically this year thanks to a good coach, I still am not able to swim even 400 meters without stopping, better in a 25yd pool, harder in 50 meter pool, which is what the race will be. So, once my breathing and form gets out of whack enough, I just have to stop and take a pause. I've been using my watch/HRM to help me as a signal of when to start the next lap after that. Of course, that's a crutch and I probably can just do RPE, but haven't tried it, and the swim stresses me out :P

Past that, I just like the data to look at after my workouts and the race lol.

But I'm kind of liking your idea now, hadn't though of it that way. Here I would just have to have the wrist HR on since my run strap isn't working, but that would be the simple solution. Definitely way more useful on the bike and run. Out of curiosity, are you wearing your strap in the swim or just making sure it's connected before and then slapping it on after you're done with the swim?

Thanks!
-Ryan
2022-06-22 9:37 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ryanoelke .....Out of curiosity, are you wearing your strap in the swim or just making sure it's connected before and then slapping it on after you're done with the swim? Thanks! -Ryan

I have a really old model Garmin (310XT) and it isn't compatible with the swim/run HR straps.  I strap I use doesn't record anything in the water and isn't even rated for used in the water, but other said that they used their in the water so that they wouldn't have to put it on in T1 and that there weren't any problems so I tried it and so far there have been no problem.  I put my HR monitor strap under the tri suit and wear it for the whole event even though al doesn't record anything in the water.  

2022-06-23 6:02 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by ryanoelke .....Out of curiosity, are you wearing your strap in the swim or just making sure it's connected before and then slapping it on after you're done with the swim? Thanks! -Ryan

I have a really old model Garmin (310XT) and it isn't compatible with the swim/run HR straps.  I strap I use doesn't record anything in the water and isn't even rated for used in the water, but other said that they used their in the water so that they wouldn't have to put it on in T1 and that there weren't any problems so I tried it and so far there have been no problem.  I put my HR monitor strap under the tri suit and wear it for the whole event even though al doesn't record anything in the water.  

Me, too.  I don't even notice it once I'm swimming, even with a wetsuit on.

2022-06-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Thanks, Curtis This is a pool swim so no wet suit, and now that I'm thinking about it, if I had another HRM, probably wouldn't be good to wear it as it would probably slip or get caught in the water a bunch. I'm hoping by next summer I can work my way up to open water swims and wet suits.

Ok, but some good news! I finally tested out the 'triathlon' activity on my garmin, and because it uses multiple activities it lets you have the wrist hr on. It stays off in the pool activity, and kicks on in the first transition. Otherwise, for individual activities you just have to either have it on or off before you start, no way to change it for the current activity. Anyways, I think this will be my solution until I get the HRM-Pro or HRM-Tri.

Thanks y'all for your help in brainstorming this
-Ryan

2022-06-27 2:27 PM

User image

Just wanted to share some good news on this - I contacted Garmin today about the problem with my HRM-Run, as well as a problem with my Garmin Fenix 5 having big sustained drops mid activity in HR, and they offered to send me not only a free HRM, but the Pro version! Looks like I'll be super set for future triathlons, at least open water when I get there
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching HRM in transition? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lost part, specialized transition comp 2010 seat clamp

Started by zeinstrac
Views: 1590 Posts: 1

2022-01-12 2:20 AM Albert-Loredo