Overall Rank = 12/45
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

cannot comment on rank as they did not give swim splits; there were a number of people in transition, of course, and lots of people ahead of me; my goggles leaked constantly and I had to keep my R eye closed, stopped at least 6 or 7 times to quickly drain the water out

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9425545962/1
What would you do differently?:

bring goggles that work; I knew they were leaking in my warmup swim but only had tinted goggles with me and I thought that would be worse with the dark coming--bad decision; typical for me in the swim portion of any race
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I was still breathing hard from the swim through this entire thing; ran hard up to the transition area through the rocks and stubbed my toe a few times; got to my spot and threw my swim stuff and sat-sock/bike shoe, sock/bike shoe/ wristband/helmet--go, go, go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not much really
Bike
  • 36m 30s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I looked up the strava bike times to compare-3rd OA and I'm happy with that! my bike was not shifting right and I'll have to look into that-annoying jumping around at the lower end

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9425545962/3

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I got out of my shoes and tried to ride on top of them during the last 1/4 mile so I could run in socks and quicken it up--it worked; I was still slow getting on the shoes, though

move faster putting on the run shoes; I did not re-lace my Nike Invincibles (yellow) with quick laces-mistake
Run
  • 15m 15s
  • 1.95 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I did negative split this marginally, but should have been able to push harder, honestly

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9425545962/5

https://coachmarkwilson.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/HVTC-Race-3-R...

push harder earlier, this was such a short race and these hurt so you have to dig deep
Post race
Warm down:

As usual, I just sit around but since I didn't thrash myself, I felt pretty good and talked with some of the stud Hudson Valley Tri group. Super great to meet 'Murphy's Law' aka Mike B, who won the race (again) and their group had their unique kit on so I knew when I saw it on the course, it was like a target to try to take down since they set the bar very high.. I did try to do my part at volunteering and helped by bringing in the two swim buoys and the two start buoys. They were anchored with ~45 pound weights so I got some strength training in also.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to bring the right equipment (goggles), not pushing hard enough on the run.

Event comments:

Superb race put on by the Wilsons! Mark and Tonya are just terrific at this and there is such support by all the racers. It seemed everyone knew everyone else. Post race included a very nice spread with pizza/bear/soda/water and terrific conversations with the participants. I sat with a guy who did his first tri-came in first in his AG and he is hooked. So was the 12 yo who also did his first and won his AG as well. A great night! https://coachmarkwilson.com/race-results/

Profile Album

Last updated: 2022-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 450 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/45
Performance: Below average
It's a guess; but seems close looking at Garmin
Suit: Roka Sim Shorts
Course: counter clockwise around two buoys; keep them to left; through the weeds, muddy/rocky bottom
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:30 | 12.2 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 3/45
Performance: Good
another guess on the time; I was 3OA on the bike and 1AG ; very hilly/punchy course but it seemed all the good swimmers were also excellent cyclists; it took forever to catch people on the bike; lots of coasting which hurts the cadence-naturally
Wind: None
Course: all right hand turns, with 2 90 degree turns and one 180 degree turn; I was on the brakes early for those and gave up some time to be safe-of course, the hills are where you lose the time and must grind/spin and go hard
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:15 | 01.95 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/45
Performance: Good
yet another guess on the time; run was like 1.9 miles, I think; dropped my drink bottle out of T2-oh, well
Course: Out and back, up the winding hills and down; had to grind up with a fast/strong cadence and bounce down with exaggerated strides which landed on my hip and heel and it started to really hurt by the end--iced it the entire way home
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes