Fox Cities Marathon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 26s
Overall Rank = 29/729
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/72
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:20am. Drank some water with a scoop of HEED, ate a banana, and some Clif Shot Blocks. Grabbed my stuff and we headed off to the start around 7:00 am.
Event warmup:

Some active stretching while waiting in the port-a-john line. Also a short run to the start line.
Run
  • 3h 12m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started and we were off. Just starting off, I felt really good and well rested from the recovery and taper the two weeks before. The plan was to keep around a 6:50 pace (on my watch) and just go from there. The first couple of miles were pretty easy running. I had to stop to dehydrate around mi 5, but no big deal. I picked up the slack on mi 6 and was back in pace. I had my fuel belt with me with 3 bottles filled with HEED and one bottle filled 3/4 of the way with Hammer Gel. That was an excellent decision bringing that with. Some of the water stops, I didnt have to grab anything and other times I would grab a little bit of water and keep on running. No big gulps of water to keep me hydrated...thats good for the stomach.

There was lots of entertainment on the course. People cheering, cheerleaders, and they even had a small farm like water stop around mi 4. I just kept chugging away at my pace, right around 7:00/mi and felt awesome! No cramps, no energy loss issues, legs felt good, HR was right where I wanted it to be; overall just felt awesome. At mi 20, they had a large brick wall that we could run through to celebrate hitting "the wall" (although I never did). I crossed that at 2:20 and I was on course to bring home a 3:04-3:05 finish and PR. Still felt really good with no issues at all and running around a 7:00 pace still was pretty easy. Then around mi 22, WAMMO! My right knee started to give. At first I figured it was just a running twinge and kept trying to run on it. A couple of times it would give on my stride and I would almost fall over from it giving out. I tried running on the sidewalk and also in people lawns. None of that helped. I did this a few more times and realized that Im gonna be hurting for a long time if I dont play this right. So, I slowed down and tried to find a different foot strike that wouldnt hurt when I ran on it. After a bunch of failed attempts, almost falling some more and getting really pissed and disappointed that I was having this problem on such an awesome race so far, I found that if I ran on the inside of my foot it didnt hurt so bad. So, I kept on around 8:30-9:00 / mi for the next 3-4 miles still having to stop every now and then because of some shooting pains. Finally around mi 25, it recovered some and I picked up the pace. At this point I was holding about a 7:15 or so, and I was happy with that after shuffling the last few miles at above 9:00 / mi. At about 25.5, I picked it up even more, while watching me knee, to finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Not get hurt. And not rub a whole in the heelcup of my shoes giving me a bloody sock.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the food area and got some drinks and something to eat. Then walked over to the grass area with Ray (StarGazer) and talked for a while, while I layed down with my legs in the air and stretching. Family showed up a little after that and we went to the finish line to watch my mom finish up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee. Everything else felt awesome!

Event comments:

Race was put together pretty well. Lots of entertainment during the race...cheerleaders and make-shift zoo - stuff like that. Water stops were about every 1.3 mi or so and they also had 3 gel stops.

Last updated: 2006-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:26 | 26.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/72
Overall: 29/729
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 155; Max HR: 167. Time at 10K mark: 42:42; Time at 13.1 mi mark: 1:31:06; Time at 20 mi mark: 2:20:37.
Course: A winding point to point course. Course ran through different areas of the Fox Valley. Course is pretty flat, but did have one or two climbs - both about .3 mi long.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-25 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Fox Cities Marathon

2006-09-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #551058

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Marathon
Rob--bummer about the knee, but still fast! How are you feeling after a few days recovery?
2006-09-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #555014

User image

Expert

PeterAK - 2006-09-28 4:16 PM Rob--bummer about the knee, but still fast! How are you feeling after a few days recovery?

I feel really good.  Pretty much recovered already. I had my first run this afternoon since the mary and it felt really good.  Only put in 6 and the knee held up pretty good. Didnt hurt at all, but it felt a little "loose" a couple of times.  An hour or so after the run, my knee is feeling a little sore.  Nothing to really worry about, but Im still keeping ice on it just to be safe.  Ill probably only run on it every 3-4 days until the next mary on Oct 14.  Gonna take it a little easier with running until then.

-Rob 

2006-09-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #551058

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Having also had knee problems I feel your pain.  Great race though.  Wow!  You were really cruising.  Are you considering wearing a brace or some type of wrap for the next mary?

Oh, and you can' t just mention that you went to see your mom finish up!  How many people do a marathon with their mom?  That's fantastic.  How'd she do?  Was it her first or is she a veteran?  C'mon, your adoring public wants details!

2006-09-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: #555411

User image

Expert
hangloose - 2006-09-29 7:17 AM

Having also had knee problems I feel your pain. Great race though. Wow! You were really cruising. Are you considering wearing a brace or some type of wrap for the next mary?

Oh, and you can' t just mention that you went to see your mom finish up! How many people do a marathon with their mom? That's fantastic. How'd she do? Was it her first or is she a veteran? C'mon, your adoring public wants details!

A brace? Probably not.  Im just gonna take it easy on it the next couple of weeks. Its nothing major and Im sure itll heal pretty quickly with the right therapy.

My mom finished around 4:20 or so.  Thats been about the norm time for her lately.  She used to run mid-7s back in her day.  This was her 49th marathon (shes 49 YO).  She and I are also doing the Whistlestop mary together, although we dont run together.  One of her goals was to run 50 marys by the time shes 50.  I think she usually runs 4-6 marys a year.  Pretty crazy, huh?  She's been pretty much injury free too.

I gotta mention this too, but on the last couple of miles when I was hurtin I saw this guys shirt that said he did a mary in all 50 states TWICE.  I thought that was pretty crazy so I talked to him for a minute or two and he said his wife was up a little ways and she did the 50 states thing THREE TIMES!  Sure enough, when I got up there, there she was with her shirt saying she did it 3 times.   He said he ran about 160 marys so far and I can only imagine how much his wife did.  They were both in their mid-50s.  That was pretty cool to see that.

-Rob

2006-09-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: #555432

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

pseudoyams - 2006-09-29 7:42 AM This was her 49th marathon

[jaw dropping]

color me wowed!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fox Cities Marathon Rss Feed