Kinetic Multisports
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 14s
Overall Rank = 44/129
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I hadn't packed the night before, just got a few things out, so I woke up at 3:30am to get ready, pack, and pull food together. I had made some water bottles the night before though so I had cold water, and put some Tailwind in them. I also brought it with me to make some for later. I packed an overnight bag in case I decided to find a place after the race.
My breakfast consisted of a Kind bar, apples with peanut butter, Tailwind (about 3 scoops total pre-race), and a few almonds (more on them later...).
The trip there took about an hour and 45 minutes.
Event warmup:

I arrived around 6:45am, which gave me about an hour until transition closed. I went straight to the bathroom (they had a good amount of port 'a' pots), then checked in and went back to get my stuff from my car. I continued drinking my tailwind mixture and got my transition set up. I took my bike to get the tires pumped, and then was pretty much set. Took out my invisalign trays, as I decided not to wear them b/c I knew at some point I would regret having them in and it would distract me. The walk to the race start was about a quarter mile, and I went barefoot without incident. Used the restroom another time or two. Felt a bit jittery.
Swim
  • 37m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Note my overall rank includes men, as these were not separated for this race. I felt pretty good, though had to stop a couple times either to make sure I was on the right track, or just to readjust around someone who wasn't swimming straight. They had 2 people go at a time, and it was actually a jump in, not a dive. I went around the middle of the pack, which I think was a good spot for me. I slipped jumping in and my tri suit unzipped so I probably had some extra drag thanks to that!
What would you do differently?:

I felt fine overall. I didn't want to go too hard knowing this was a longer race than I really trained for. I felt steady throughout so am happy with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I felt pretty good and was passing a bunch of people on the run from the water to transition, and then again to the mount line. Probably could've saved a little time, but I was nervous about nutrition, so had a few almonds and swigs of Tailwind.

I would not have eaten almonds. My mouth was dry from the brackish water, and they only made it drier.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 59s
  • 24.5 kms
  • 18.38 km/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike, though as mentioned above, there were some slower parts on the first half or so. It was very flat and I tried to push pretty hard without overcooking my legs. The road was not always great, lots of cracks in the first 5-7 miles, so it was a bit bumpy, but evened out eventually.
The way back felt very fast, which is why I think there was probably a headwind on the way out, but not so horrible that I really noticed while in the moment. I had some Tailwind with me and drank it pretty regularly throughout. The almonds I had eaten did not feel good and a little may have come up at one point (TMI, sorry). I got passed by a lot of people on aero bikes (mostly guys though).

I think I need a faster bike. It's hard to justify b/c I don't ride it much other than racing, but man it's tough being passed by so many people on fancy bikes!
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Not sure I could've gone much faster.

N/A
Run
  • 58m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

This is where I struggled. The first half of the run my left leg felt extremely tight/kept cramping up. I kept having to stop and stretch it. The pain went all the way down my leg. I finally started getting water and gatorade at each stop. I would drink the gatorade, and some of the water, and then pour the rest on my head to cool down. The second half of the run felt much better and I didn't have to stop and stretch/walk. I finished pretty strong!

I would have better nutrition. I think the Tailwind was fine but was not enough for the distance of this race. I needed more electrolytes throughout, so maybe also bringing some gatorade on my ride earlier would've helped.
Post race
Warm down:

They handed you ice cold washcloths at the end of the race and had a tent with a spinning sprinkler thing so I went in there for a little, then found a hammock in the shade and laid down for a couple minutes. I was wiped. Eventually I got up and found some gatorade in the food tent, so I drank that while I went and pulled my stuff together and took everything to my car. I came back and by then had more of an appetite, so I had some food. They had a pretty good spread. Rice and beans with a chicken concoction, pasta with bacon and tomatoes, a salad (but it had onions in it), and some snacks, including bananas, nature valley bars, and oreos. I stuck to the rice, chicken and pasta, as well as some watermelon and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition - I could've done SO much better with nutrition, but haven't done many of these longer races so have been trying out different stuff. I didn't grocery shop prior to the race and had to deal with whatever I had available in my house, which was not much. I also stopped at Wawa on the way, which is where I got the almonds and apples with peanut butter.
Training - Obviously I just decided to do this a few days before the race, so wasn't quite training for an Oly, but overall I'm pretty happy with how my training prepared me.

Event comments:

This was a great race overall. It was well organized, lots of volunteers available, and a great announcer (I don't know how he still had a voice by the next day). The food after was delicious. I do wish there had been an aid station or two on the bike out, but also should have just brought my own stuff for between the bike and run.

Last updated: 2023-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:47 | 1500 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 185/129
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Suit (2 piece)
Course: Course was a rectangle we went around 1.75 times. The last time I swam this, I went around 2 full times, then had to swim back to the finish (no bueno)
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:59 | 24.5 kms | 18.38 km/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 185/129
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was extremely flat, and a very large loop. There was likely some headwind on the way out, but I didn't really notice. I was going pretty slow at one point early on, but I think because there was a very gradual incline that I didn't really notice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:03 | 10 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 166/129
9:21 min/mile pace
Course: Very flat, running through surrounding neighborhoods. There were a very good amount of water/gatorade stops, which was SO needed.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2023-06-06 2:59 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: Rock Hall International Triathlon

2023-06-06 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5285725

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Rock Hall International Triathlon
Great Job!
2023-06-12 12:04 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congratulations on breaking three hours and getting the AG Silver!  Nutrition is always tough for an Oly because of the variance in what people need.  You'll nail it next time.  Sorry my daughter and I had to bail - way to carry the BDAS torch and bring home the hardware!

2023-06-15 2:02 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Next year! You'll finally get to use the deferment! lol
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock Hall International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock Hall International Triathlon

Started by aburnett