Parkrun
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 26s
Overall Rank = 10/53
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Continuing with my running focus into the summer while prepping for a sprint mid-July. This was a test of sorts as I haven't run an open 5K in quite a while (except for running while sick back in February) so eager to see what I can do. Came off a good three weeks of training, then a bit of a taper in the lead-up to the race.

Weather wasn't exact PR land...warm, super humid, like 84 degrees and drizzling a little with the sun trying to break through as well. The course is the Baltimore & Annapolis trail and is basically one big false flat with a climb in the middle, out and back course. I think on a perfect running day sub-25 could be had but not in this soup, so tempering expectations a bit to around 26 or so.

Event warmup:

Drove down to the race site and figured out the Parkrun process - volunteers were great. Did about a mile warmup progressing to T pace, then lots of stretching and some light sprints about 5 minutes before. Feeling pretty spry other than it's cooking hot out already.

The Plan was to go out around 8 flat and hold that as long as possible, burn some matches on the middle mile hills and hope I have a kick the final half mile.
Run
  • 26m
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

Mile 1 - "Feeling Pretty Good"

Count down and we're off. I start pretty close to the front to get out cleanly and I started a little too quick as I was in mid-7 territory. About a 1/4 mile in I settle into that 8-ish pace, HR is tracking well (more on this later) and I hit the one mile mark at 8:01. Perfectly executed and I'm not dying yet.

Mile 2 - "Oooo THIS is How a 5K Hurts"

Mile 2 starts out with a short steep hill to go over a pedestrian bridge, so I push up it knowing I'll get a breather on the descent. Ouch this hurts. Downhill now, holding more like 8:30 now, HR is climbing to what I think is zone 4 (spoiler alert - it's more like my zone 5 now), so I keep pushing...got over the hill coming back and let loose a little. Mile 2 at 8:34. Time for the Pain Cave.

Mile 3.1 - "I Need to Race More"

False flat uphill immediately saps the life out of me and I take a walk break - just like 6-7 seconds, then push on again for about a minute or two, then repeat that process a couple of more times to get to about 2.5 miles in, holding mid-9s on this mile (ugh). Finally get a little HTFU in me and finished out the mile strong, then kicked the final 200 yards or so to the finish. Mile 3 at 9:11, the kick in the low 7s.

26:26 finish, 10/52 overall, 10/32 men, 1/4 M 55-59 so a 1st place finish LOL.

What would you do differently?:

Pace a tad slower to go out, get some HTFU mentally - I'm still not at the top of my game run-racing.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately double-over and had to really focus to not puke - so I apparently gave it a good effort. Jogged around for a bit and watched my daughter come in about two minutes later. Did a proper cool-down with about a half mile jog/walk and a bunch of stretching. Then we went to the convenience store and I got a grape soda because, you know, I'm eight years old. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and pacing a little, but happy with the results. 8/10 effort.

I also noted that I need to adjust my running heart rate zones...I was redlining physically and mentally the final 1/4 and my HR was like 7-8 beats slower than what I was doing the last time I was run-racing a lot (which of course was 10 years ago, so that makes sense). I don't usually train by heart rate, but it's good information to know.

Event comments:

Parkrun is awesome, will do this again as a test event every few weeks.

Last updated: 2024-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:00 | 05 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 10/53
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2024-07-03 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: B&A Trail Parkrun

2024-07-03 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5289179

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Parkrun
Great job Mike!

Congrats on the AG win, and you may have some pacing 'work ons' but having to fight off the post race puke shows the effort level isn't in question.
2024-07-04 2:59 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
QUOTE]Originally posted by bulfrog

having to fight off the post race puke shows the effort level isn't in question.

I came here to say that, I think you did manage to HTFH

Well done, I’d say you have passed the test!
2024-07-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Nicely done Mike! Great job on HTFU-ing and pushing through it. Bonus points for the grape soda. No shame there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » B&A Trail Parkrun Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Woodhouse Moor Parkrun

Started by po
Views: 163 Posts: 1

2024-02-13 5:18 AM po

Wakefield Thornes Parkrun

Started by po
Views: 228 Posts: 1

2023-12-17 3:08 AM po