United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 40m
Overall Rank = /abunch
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 am. Ate Egg, sausage, and cheese on an english muffin and 16 oz. Gatorade. I had planned on parking about 5 miles away from the start at a friends and ride in as a warm up. The weather was crappy and I didn't want to start out wet so I drove to the school campus and arrived about an hour before the start. I was able to park less than 100 meters from the starting line, pure luck!!!
Event warmup:

Minor stretching, and a couple of laps on the bike around the school campus, and one visit to the toilet, and one to the woods.
Bike
  • 7h 40m
  • 100 miles
  • 13.04 mile/hr
Comments:

How can you not love Six-gap. This is probably one of the hardest centuries in the US! Excellent staff! Great support!
What would you do differently?:

Be younger??????
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch. 12 mile ride on Monday afternoon. All was well except my ass (ha..ha..)!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather.

Event comments:

I recomend this mash-fest to everyone!

Last updated: 2006-09-06 12:00 AM
Biking
07:40:00 | 100 miles | 13.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/abunch
Performance: Good
My actual ride time was 7:05 however I broke a rear brake cable comming down Unicoi Gap. This had to be replace before I rode down Hogpen, so I replaced it at the top of Hogpen. This added about 30 minutes on my finish time however probably saved my ass comming down Hogpen. 42 MPH is scary enough, much less with wet conditions on the north side of hogpen. So the extra time spent was well worth it.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hard! I ride these Gaps every weekend, however I've never ridden these Gaps in the rain (at least not all of them). Climbing Neels Gap in a downpour cannot be described. Weather added a whole new dimension to this ride. Of course the only time the Sun came out was on the toughest climb (Hogpen). Hot and steamy! Then rain, rain, rain.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-27 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: 6 Gap Century

2006-09-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: #553223

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: 6 Gap Century

Definitely hardcore. 

Thanks for the report, and congrats on one terrific ride.

2006-09-28 12:51 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Awesome job!  I'll have to try all six gaps next year.
2006-09-28 7:40 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

My actual ride time was 7:05 however I broke a rear brake cable comming down Unicoi Gap. This had to be replace before I rode down Hogpen, so I replaced it at the top of Hogpen ...

... using an old coat hanger found on the side of the road, a dollar bill and a stick of gum (with wrapper).

McGiver lives!

Seriously, nicely done is what must have been pretty miserable weather.  The descents are scary enough without being wet and subsequent threat of gravel and/or dirt on the road.

Hope to see you on the road up there sometime - especially if I have a mechanical issue! (read that to mean that I wish I knew my way around the bike mechanics as you do.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 6 Gap Century Rss Feed