Piranha Sports
80sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 36m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the campground as I did last year. Super convenient to the event and I recommend it to out-of-towners who plan to do the event in the future. I woke up early, had a bagel, peanut butter, and an apple. Puttered around until I was late and rushed to T-1. Fortunately, as a 54 year-old I'm in the last wave where its just us elderly, the first-timers, the sick, and the insane.
Event warmup:

Running to T-1 to be on time.
Swim
  • 53m
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really labored in the swim. I used the same size/brand wetsuit as last year, but it felt much tighter with my breathing very constrained. Being very comfortable, if very slow in the water, I didn't panic and just stuck it out, resting at times using different strokes. I was disappointed in my time as my swim training was not intense, but about the same as last year.
What would you do differently?:

My swim training was not intense, but about the same as last year. I think I need to train better and smarter as I age. I need more long swims, and fewer short distance drills with my limited time.
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

My chip came off and I spent time trying to fasten it back on. I did a lousy job I guess, as I later lost it on the bike. As a result, I did not get any official splits, but have estimtated Transition times based on what I know to be my swim time from my watch and bike time from my bike computer. Run time is an estimate. Bottom line: slow and back of the pack.

Be more careful getting wetsuit off over the chip.
Bike
  • 4h 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike, but just didn't have the power I did last year when I averaged 16 mph. I know now I didn't push enough in training, even though I did two long rides of 50 miles and 100 miles. Training has to be worked at, not casual rides with too much time in the comfort zone.

Work harder in the saddle during training. Try to get in several medium rides of 30-40 miles.
Transition 2
  • 06m
Comments:

T2 was a disaster in that I realized that I had lost my chip somewhere on the bike. So, I had to run to the back of T-2, find an official, then meet her back at the front of T-2, and then go back to my rack area. Race official was efficient, but my carelessness cost me four or five minutes.

Make sure I have my chip on securely. Otherwise, I think T-2 went well and better than last year.
Run
  • 2h 31m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

It was pretty much a run/walk effort, but I had no doubt that I would finish. No throngs at the finish when you're at the back of the pack, but I did enjoy the last mile with the early finishers already on their way home giving me friendly honks and thumbs up. I know they're feeling my pain and routing for me. Thanks everyone!

More long runs.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Like almost every triathlete there, I really wish I had more time to train. A back injury (lots of digging in the yard) two months before the race took me out of training as I followed doctor's orders for about three weeks. I never really got back on track as family matters took over. The back still hurts at times, but is manageable. Getting old is a drag and I really felt it in this event. It made me think about hanging it up, but I'm now getting psyched again and may commit to another half IM (or even a full?) next year.

Event comments:

I agree with another Diamondman poster that there should be more for the money. The incorrect mileage on run course cones was a downer. Goodie bag is pretty much just advertising -- not much stuff, and the T-Shirt could have some more imaginative graphics than just DDT on the front. Last year there were photographers on all legs of the race, but I didn't see any this time, so no photos. The staff and volunteers were top rate, though, and I likee the overall course as I am not a big fan of hills. Not sure I'll do it again next year though.

Last updated: 2006-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:00 | 1931 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: X-Terra Full
Course: Lum's Pond. Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:00:00 | 56 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, with a major half mile hill over a bridge that is crossed going out and again coming back. One bottle exchange that you pass twice as it is not quite at the half-way point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:31:26 | 13.1 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Course: Out and back, mostly on a straight, shadeless gravel path along a river. Last year it was a killer, but this year the cooler temps and knowing what to expect helped keep my morale, if not my speed, up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-09-29 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Subject: Delaware DIAMONDMAN® TRIATHLON

2006-09-29 9:09 PM
in reply to: #556218

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Delaware DIAMONDMAN® TRIATHLON

Great Report.

Nice job legging it out regardless of where you came in on the clock.

2006-09-30 3:00 AM
in reply to: #556218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Delaware DIAMONDMAN® TRIATHLON
Thanks for the race report. Don't hang it up- just keep your training goals in sight and you will be stronger than ever!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware DIAMONDMAN® TRIATHLON Rss Feed