Firm racing
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up 6:30ish - ate a cereal bar, gathered last minute stuff. Hopped in car and drove to Ashland. Got a small coffee on the way and drank that. Also drank some gatorade.
At race, set up transition - so much easier without a swim to worry about and without worrying about shoes. I have bear trap style clips on my mtn bike. Did some basic stretching, chatted with other racers, did a couple of bike loops and some warmup running.
Run
  • 18m
  • 2 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

Felt kinda slow on the start. Found a couple of guys who were setting a comfortable pace and stuck behind them for the whole first go 'round. I was immediately towards the BOP, but I was okay with that.
What would you do differently?:

Train more before hand.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Simple transition here. Put on helmet, take bike off rack, and go. I put my gloves on while I was riding.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 34m
  • 7 miles
  • 12.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was alot of fun. Hauling ass down a trail with rocks, trees, stumps and roots was exhilerating. It was hard, there were some ascents that I had to get off the bike and walk up, but I wasn't alone in that. Bike handled pretty well - would have liked a little suspension on a couple of the descents as the rocks and roots make navigation a little tricky. The trail had a couple of technical spots, mostly the downhills, but they were short and manageable.

Train more on the MTB. I only put the stubby's back on Thursday night.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Easy transition. Take off bike helmet, put on hat, and start running. Not changing shoes makes life SOOOO much easier.

Nothing.
Run
  • 16m
  • 2 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the run. Started running with another guy who was running the same pace, and we did pretty well. Shoe lace came untied, but that didn't slow us down much. Had a nice run, chatted a bit, and we probably pulled eachother along a lot faster than we expected. This was a good run for me.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor preparation, lack of experience with route, and lack of experience on my MTB. It's been YEARS since I've ridden an MTB on trails. And I don't think I've ever really RUN off-road either.

Event comments:

Didn't have enough volunteers. When I finished the bike, I didn't know where to go to get out for the run - do I go AROUND the timing mat (following the signs for the run course), or do I go OVER the mat (the same mat I went over while exiting T1). There was NOONE there to help, and the instructions were poor.

All in all, though, it was a fun event and I had a GREAT time. I was not looking forward to the race - if I hadn't already paid, I probably would have found a reason to stay in bed - and given my less than satisfying results in Hyannis in Sept, I haven't been training that much. It was really nice to get back out on the bike, and it was awesome to have a strong run performance. I didn't walk AT ALL!!!! I ran all 4 miles. I'm very pleased. I finished BOP, and probably last in my age group, but I'm okay with that. I fell off the wagon, climbed back on, and I'm thrilled.

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:00 | 02 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through some hills and by the lake. Had some steep climbs and descents, but nothing extended.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:34:00 | 07 miles | 12.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2.5 loops around on some trails, a little tarmac, out onto the causeway, back, then mirrored run course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:00 | 02 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same as first run loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Mud Sweat 'n Gears

2006-10-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: #556900

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Mud Sweat 'n Gears
Nice race, D.Z.  You guys lucked out with the weather!  Very good job with both runs.  I'd have died having to run a second time!
2006-10-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: #556900

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mud Sweat 'n Gears
COOL! Good for you for getting out there- hopefully you are re-enthused! Sounds like a fun time!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mud Sweat 'n Gears Rss Feed