General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Autumn Classic - Super Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochester Autumn Classis - Super Sprint Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mendon, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 34s
Overall Rank = 11/47
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 6:20am, ate a bagel. Loaded the bikes and then went to pick up the two Tri Club students that were riding with me.
Event warmup:

Some light running and stretching.
Run
  • 16m 16s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a mass start with both the Formula 1 racers and the Super Sprint going off at the same time. Tried to maintain the best pace possible without going over the edge too much. Most likely went beyond my LT on the hills, didn't seem to hurt too much though.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. At this point I haven't done any planned workouts since the end of August/early September. My fitness level is lower than it was earlier in the season. The training I have done in between all the other crazy things going on has been sporadic.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Put shoes on in Transition as the ground was wet. Jogged with the bike out of transition and got several pedal strokes in to get some speed before I actually clipped in.

Not much I could do different here.
Bike
  • 35m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a difficult course, rolling hills through out, shifting up and down. I'm not nearly in the condition needed to really push hard on this course. I tried not to kill my legs and spun at a 95-100 up most of the hills, on the down hills I would get up some speed and coast some to save energy. My bike time was 35:34 in the spring, with T1 and T2 included, that puts this time around at 36:39, a minute slower, not too bad.

More time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Jogged through transition, put the bike on the rack, changed out shoes, took helmet off. Basically very smooth. Julie (Marmamommy) said 'Good Run' or something, I new I was in touble as she was in T2 at the same time as me. In the back of my head I wondered how bad my bike time really was.

Nothing.
Run
  • 17m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs seemed to be tired and didn't want to turn over like I would want them too. One of the RIT students passed me with about 3/4 to a 1/2 mile remaining in the race, he ended up finishing about 1:20 in front of me. Saw one of the other two when I had about a 1/3 of a mile left so he was well behind me, the other student I never saw and he was about 1:00 behind me.

More consistent and planned training would help.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to some folks, drank a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Since my injury this summer it has been really difficult to get alot of motivation to train. I wasn't able to do the workouts I would have like and thus skipped the Finger Lakes Triathlon. I did this race thinking it would motivate me to do more, however, it didn't, with the changing weather, less and less sunshine and the new school year starting it has been too busy and too messy to do much of the workouts I would normally be doing. In the future, I hope to be able to handle the bad things, ie. Injuries, better and to work just as hard after the injury as I did before or would have if it hadn't have happened. In the spring my first 2 mile run was 15:20, a minute faster than this time around. The second run in the spring was only 1 mile, though I did that in 8:06, thus I lost a couple of minutes on the second run. This shows how much I've lost fitness-wise as the weather was similiar for both races.

Last updated: 2006-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:16 | 02 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 10/47
Performance: Average
Average HR: 172 - This is right about my LT.
Course: Rolling Hill, muddy, mostly a trail run with some roadway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:10 | 10 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 13/47
Performance: Average
Average HR: 166
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling Hills... uggh. Road way was wet but smooth, corners were swept before the race.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:38 | 02 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 13/47
Performance: Good
Average HR: 169
Course: Same as the first run, rolling hills, mostly trail with some roadway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Rochester Autumn Classic - Super Sprint Duathlon

Edited by tolefanjh 2006-10-01 6:07 PM

2006-10-01 7:15 PM
in reply to: #557010

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Rochester Autumn Classic - Super Sprint Duathlon
Nice race! Good job geeting out there after an injury and not great training time.
2006-10-04 8:54 PM
in reply to: #557010

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Rochester Autumn Classic - Super Sprint Duathlon

Good to see you got out there.  Nice place in those ranking.

Hang in there and motivation will return .  It's hard going into the off season to motivate. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Autumn Classic - Super Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed