General Discussion Race Reports! » Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Interantional Distan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Interantional Distan - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mesa, Arizona
United States
DCB Adventures
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m
Overall Rank = 7/74
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5am... took a quick wake up shower...

While driving to the race ate 1/2 of a tortilla and ate a package of Clif Bloks about 15 minutes before the start.

Went to the bike area to setup my transition and then headed over to catch the shuttle bus to the start. Met AZChica in at the bike area. Nice to meet fellow BTers.
Event warmup:

Stretched and then gingerly swam about 100 meters to the start line.
Swim
  • 24m 30s
  • 1200 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam well. We were swimming into the sun so I just used the rocks on the side of the lake for sighting. Had to climb over some guy when I looked and saw where the buoy was... he was trying to hug the shore. I wanted to go in more of a straight line to the buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Swam one of my better swims, so nothing to do except get faster!
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Good transition... it was a long run from the water to the transition and I passed a good 10 or more people running from the water to the transition. I got excited when I saw so many bikes in the transition area. It made me feel really good about my swim.

The other thing I was worried about was my sunglasses... well they were in my bike shoe so I smiled when I saw them. Big relief.

The other thing that was different is at this race after you are ready to go on the bike you have to throw your swimming stuff (wetsuit, goggles, cap) into a bag. Did that quickly.

Same as the swim... good transition...
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 31.25 miles
  • 20.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode really well. During the climbing sections I passed many people. The ride was actually 30 miles but I did 31.25 because during the gradual downhill after Usery pass I was going 32mph and did not see the turn into the Las Sendas area. (a lot of the faster riders missed this turn) Anyway I kept riding and had to go through a intersection that had just turned red and since it wasn't the course route no police were stopping traffic. Made it through after slowing to 15mph. Top speed during the bike was 41.8mph.

I rode really well, maybe making it through that turn would have helped cut a couple of minutes off my time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This transition was neat. You stop and a volunteer takes your bike from you. You run into the transition area where they hand your bag to you. I opened my bag, switched shoes, put my helmet in, ate chocolate GU, drank from a lightly mixed bottle of Crisp apple clif shot drink and I was off and running.

Oh, put my race belt on... new thing for me since I have a nice race uniform now. It put it on easy, but when I turned it to put the # in the front the strap came out of the buckle. As I ran up the first switchbacks I was able to fix it and put it back on.

Oh, you get to sit on a seat in transition..... Very nice!!!

Practice putting the race belt on.
Run
  • 48m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was fun but very challenging. At first the run felt like I was going to be alone and then I spotted 2 guys just after the first set of switchbacks. I quickly caught them and put some distance on them. Again I was running alone, but I had the thought of putting more distance on them in my mind to help me run faster.

Most of the run was tough to run fast though. In a couple of spots you could not run and had to lower yourself or climb. There was one spot where you get to moving down the hill and then see yourself having to jump to avoid a big cholla cactus. I hit a few trees and got a couple of scrapes.

A lot of running through the sand too. The challenging part was trying to find the path that was harder so you could get more push off.

Then I made it to where you run up a hill on the road and then go back onto a path that goes along the river. I did not know where to go and there were no arrows. After finding where to go I got to the next turn and the girl there did not know which way I needed to go... then we found it and there was a arrow that led to a path that then had 2 forks, again with no sign telling which one to take. I took the path to the right and ended up by the river on a path that came to a dead end. I had to climb a cliff to get back on the path. I then ran from there and finished.

From the 3 times I stopped to find where to go I almost cramped up.

Well... I talked to the race director about the markings on the course... I obviously would have been faster on the course. LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Bananas, water, a coke, a jump in the swimming pool and then 2 beers. They had Kilt Lifter out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Missing the turn on the bike and not knowing where to go 3 times on the run.

Event comments:

I would give it a 5 if not for the short comings on the marking. It is a great race. Very difficult and challenging. I enjoyed it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:30 | 1200 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 14/74
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Wet Suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:00 | 31.25 miles | 20.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Wind: Some
Course: First 1 1/4 miles - climb out of the Butcher Jones Cove area. Then a little downhill, then more steep climbing, a decent downhill, gradual climb on the Bush Highway, then 4 1/2 mile climb up Usery Pass. It was tehn a gradual downhill to the Bush highway where there are rolling hills and a headwind, finishing with a uphill climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:00 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Course: The XTERRA run course from the Arizona Desert Xtreme triathlon. As they said "you are not going to PR on this course." Weaving trails starting with a switchback climb, running through the constantly turning trails. A lot of running through a arroyo also which is soft sand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 9:15 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Interantional Distan
I'll update the times from the official results when they are posted.

Enjoyed the race!

Edited by chile7473 2006-10-01 9:24 PM

2006-10-01 10:25 PM
in reply to: #557167

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Interantional Distan
Great race Andy! After my son's race I headed out toward your race but saw you heading home on my way out towards the lake, Sorry I missed you ou there.

2006-10-01 11:26 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome job despite the confusing course! You are so friggin fast on that bike! Funny how both our races were more adventurous than average- makes for a more interesting race day, although yours was def. more confusing than mine! Great job and can't wait to have you pass me at SOMA!
2006-10-02 9:37 AM

Albuquerque, NM
Andy- another great race and sounds like a well run event, except for the markings on the bike. Now looking forward towards Soma and hoping for good weather. Your training is going great and keep it up!Mike
2006-10-02 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Congrats on the race and your podium finish!

I remember that run course, as we did a similar course for the Xterra. Hard to enjoy the views as there was always something to watch out for. But it was definitely interesting.

Good luck at SOMA! Hope to see ya there.

2006-10-02 10:19 AM

Pro
AZ
Great Job Andy!!!

2006-10-02 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations on your podium finish!!
2006-10-02 12:18 PM

Arizona
way to go Andy. Man I would have hated to see your time if you new where you were going on the run and bike. Sweet job dude.
2006-10-02 9:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
It was nice meeting you at the race.  Awesome race for you.  Nice prize too, did it come already filled with beer?  I never did find the beer tent, but I guess that's a good thing since I had to drive 100 miles home.  good luck at Soma.  You'll do great!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Interantional Distan Rss Feed