Maine Track Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 27m 55s
Overall Rank = 84/800
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/62
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:00. I was SO nervous!!! I went downstairs at Mom and Dad's house and choked down a chocolate power bar and 1/2 bagel. My stomach was doing backflips and I didn't feel like eating. After that, I stretched a little and tried to relax. The house was quiet and dark. Nothing was on tv and I had about an hour to kill. Mark got up around 6:00 and so did Cameron!! Mom was up shortly after that. I left there around 6:20 and headed south. The sky was dark but as I came across Tukey's bridge there was an amazing sunrise and I saw the pack of walkers heading out. I had tears in my eyes I was so excited and full of anticipation. I parked at Back bay, smiled at a fellow runner, put on my shoes, pinned the 4 GU packs to my shorts, stuck the salt tabs in the pocket, donned my hat and "throw away" jacket and headed to the bathroom. From there I went to he start and tried to focus.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Run
  • 3h 27m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Where to start. SO much happens over 26.2 miles. I really tried to start slow. I got passed left and right and assured myself they were all 1/2 marathoners or relay folks. I didn't need to race, just not miss the pace. I went faster each mile for the first 4 but realized my effort wasn't increasing. I was breathing easy and felt great. Don't we all for the first part of marathon!!! I was distracted because I knew I should have run in the bathroom 1 last time. It wasn't awful, but it was on my mind. At mile 5 there were 2 porto-potties in the woods so I ran over. They were occupied!!I couldn't wait so I ran behidn them. Weird how modestly gets a bit lost in these events. Around 7 I saw my family for the first time. Mark, the kids, my parents, Jeff and his boys. It's so great to have support. I continued on and felt just great. I took my first GU here. My stomach was a bit unhappy with this but it wasn't too bad. I tried to chat with a few guys about pace but they shunned me. Why are some people so unfriendly during races? It was right after the 1/2 marathoners turned around and I thought the 3 or 4 people that were left near me would want to bond over the journey we still had ahead. Nope. Ok, move on. I got to about 11 and started to actually "feel" a few spots. I was a bit worried, but trying not to obsess. I got my ibuprofen out (no easy task) and tried to remember how far until water. I had to pee again too. Man! What a pain. So, I stuff the tinfoiled tabs into my jog bra! I thought I'd run into the next portopottie but then I saw that they were amidst a HUGE crowd and that just didn't go over well with me. So, I held it and dug the ibuprofen back out of my jogbra. I was kind of annoyed with all the shuffling I was doing at this point. I took the pills and moved on. At mile 12 we come to a place where we go around a 2 mile loop. I saw my family again. Loved it! I hit my watch at the 12 mile spot and must have mumbled out loud because this man asked me about my pace. Turns out he was shooting for the same time and was having trouble stayign slow enough too! We decided to try running together. He was a chatterbox and this worried me a bit. At 13.1 we passed a huge group of Maine National Guardsmen. They were doign the course with 30lb rucksacks on their backs and wearing #7s in honor of the 7 Maine Guards who have been killed. We clapped and I realized they are the real tough ones out there.
My family was at 14 again and Mark ran with me a bit and gave me some water. He and the gang were awesome supporters today. They were at 6, 12, 14, 19, 22 and the finish!!
Bob and I ran elbow to elbow for the next 10 miles. We really helped motivate each other and helped each other keep the right pace. Most of our miles were under 8:00 adn that was fine. He had a chart that told us how far ahead of the 3:30 pace we were. We had a 2 minute cushion for most of the run. We had to hold 8:06 for a while adn it would be ok. We were ahead of this for most of the run. There were a few big hills and they somehow seemed easy with his help. We talked each other through...use your arms, small steps. I remember feeling so strong and confident at mile 16. The end was coming. After mile 20 or so, we got off rte 88 and that was super. I could tell my partner was fading a bit as he was quiet and his breathing changed. He never lost his positive attitude. From there, it was a gradual split up. He said he wanted to slow down a bit so he could finish strong. I was feelign good so I had to keep myself going. I hated to leave him, but we had to run our own race too. I felt pretty tight around 21 and my split shows it. (8:40) However, I somehow regained my composure and loosened up. You know, each mile came and I'd hit my watch and see a sub-8 or close to 8 and I was just in shock. I mean, was this me?? I have had a great summer for running and knew I was in good shape, but I always die!! Was it finally comign together for me? All those 5:00a.m. mornings, alone, in the heat or in the rain for 2-3 hours. Were they all gogin to pay off? I was beside myself with emotion. I was proud. Happy. Relieved. But, not done yet. I got into the neighborhoods before we hit back bay to the final stretch and I found myself racing the girls around me!?? Racing?? It was mile 23! How was this possible? I took my last GU and had to crosst he street for an unmanned water table. there was about 1 sip worth in the cup. Yikes. Not enough. I rounded a corner and woah! The wind off the ocean was fierce. The woman right ahead of me had a man with her who looked like he was her pacer. He kept moving around her to block the wind! Man was I jealous of that. We turned onto Back bay and you can see the finish. But don't be fooled. Mile 25 wasn't even in sight yet. The last water table came and went. There were folks riding their bikes along the path for a Sunday stroll right next to us. For some unknown reason, none of them were cheering us on! It was quiet and lonely along there. That was disappointing to me. I wanted to ask them to stop teasing me with their bike or yell GO or something inspiring. For all those wonderful, surprisingly easy miles before this, I was feelign the pain now. My legs were aching and the joints were starting to lock. I was digging deep and talking to myself. That's when you have to remind yourself of all the hard training and that this is where you pull out the last bit of strength. I never did see the mile 26 sign. Finally...there's Mom. She was running along hollering great stuff. I had it. I was goign to do it. I almost started to cry. I saw Jeff, Tommy (my 4 year old). He had 2 arms in the air and that contagious beautiful smile of his. Nicholas, my 2 year old was boppign along and Cameron, my 7 year old was yellign "go Mommy!!!" Mark was running along and I felt like I was walking on air. I saw the clock adn knew I had it. I had beat my goal. But not by 10 seconds, by more than 2 minutes!!! Is this me??? I felt like I sprinted to the end. I gritted my teeth and really went for it. My Dad was taking a picture at the end. I did it. I crossed the line and just put my hands on my knees and cried. That beautiful medal went around my neck and crunchy but oh so soothing tin foil blanket was put on. Mark (my husband) ran up and we both had tears in our eyes. He knew what it meant to me. He watched me head out of bed and come home hours later torn up from running the mountain roads around our house. He knew I could taste success but hadn't really had it with this distance yet. What a dream. Reaching your goal after all that hard work is a....I dont' have the word for how great it feels to me.
What would you do differently?:

I am thrilled with my run. I know there are things I could have done differently, everyone can improve, but I have no idea what those things are right now!
Post race
Warm down:

Ooops. Didn't eat much rigth off. Just hugged a lot of family, cried a bit, waited for my "partner" Bob to come in and congratulate him. I went home, showered, and at an Italian sandwich!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again...not sure right now.

Event comments:

It is a beautiful race but there weren't many spectators as a whole. I had great support, but in between it was QUIET!! I'd love to hear more music! :)
The chip system didn't work so that was disappointing. Therefore, we dont' have official results. Oh well. I know my time!

Last updated: 2006-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:27:55 | 26.2 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/62
Overall: 84/800
Performance: Good
My goal was 3:30. I wanted to do 8:00/miles. Here are the splits: 8:06, 7:43, 7:40, 7:36, 7:50, 8:19 (bathroom break), 7:35, 7:57, 7:35, 7:56, 7:34, 7:48, 7:40, 7:56, 8:05, 7:44, 8:14 (big hill), 7:41, 8:06, 7:47, 8:40 (not sure about this one), 8:06, 8:06, 8:22, 7:51, 9:50-this is mile 26 + .2 I missed the last marker.
Course: The course is essentially flat until 10, some small rolling hills until 16-17 where there's a big one and another big one at 19. It is an out and back course along the Maine coast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Sportshoe Center Maine Marathon

2006-10-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #557952

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Sportshoe Center Maine Marathon
WOW! Awesome friggin job and great race report!! I'm so glad you had your whole family there to support you, that's amazing. So are you going to race Boston this year?
2006-10-05 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Great job!!

You had an great season and I'm just amazed on how you fit all this training in and do so well with three little boys to keep track of.

very awesome!

2006-10-05 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Incredible job - congratulations on the BQ time, that is awesome!

I was there with a friend and my kids as we watched our wives doing the half. Some tough wind at times, but you still nailed it!

So will you be running Boston this spring or 2008?

2006-10-06 8:57 AM

User image

Buttercup

WOW, that is friggin' fantastic! What a great race pace! Congratulations!!!

Human windshields are a treat, it's true.

2006-10-06 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportshoe Center Maine Marathon Rss Feed