Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: Colorado Triathlete dies.....

2004-07-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: #40877

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Colorado Triathlete dies.....

I heard about this yesterday morning - he was still alive then.  Came home from work and found out that he had died - just shocking.

And to think it happened during a race at an intersection with a cop directing traffic!  We all need to be careful whether we are driving or riding. 

So sad....

2004-07-27 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Based on my own traffic directing experiences, I've always opted to slow down and or looked all directions even if an officer is present.

I've had motorists drive around barricades, drive past while I'm blasting on a whistle and signaling to stop, drive around a patrol car blocking the street, and have even had a few near misses stopping traffic in a school crosswalk.

Even when going to an emergency call with lights and sirens, we are still trained to make sure all traffic has stopped before proceeding through an intersection.

Police officers are also human and yes we make mistakes.

In short, you can't predict what's going to happen on the road. I think its important for us as riders to remain vigilant and aware of our surroundings.

On another note (based on experience) I've tried to thank an officer working a race whenever I could. There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't see, and many have come out after working all night, or when they could have spent some time with their families. Or in my case, skipped racing that day to try and make it safer for others...it's definatley appreciated.
2004-07-27 6:21 PM

I am from Loveland and, although I didn't know him personally, my wife did. I was competing in a different triathlon in Fort Collins but heard about it that day. He was very well liked and very active in the community. It is very sad for him and for his family and we will be praying for them. We all have to be very carefull and never assume anything.
2004-07-27 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
That's just such a shame and pretty scary. To think that an unintentional act could result in the death of such a beautiful man. Noone is to blame, but man it just seems such a tragic waste. Everyone be careful out there and play defense. God bless his family and the officers involved. Such a waste and such a tragedy. Ovetta.
2004-07-27 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
My wife showed me the newspaper article on this today. What a tragedy. It is a grim reminder to always be aware of your surroundings. In my race in Estes Park a couple of weeks ago, I had a very close call. Heading into a police controled intersection, I saw the officer telling a car to stop but the guy kept on coming. I had to lock up the brakes and came within a foot from flying over the hood.

Please everyone, be careful out there!

Jason

2004-07-28 12:59 AM
in reply to: #41041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
My hart goes out to the family.

I have had the same deal happen to me the police officer did everything but pull out his gun to get this moron to stop.

Kept coming then slammed on his brakes.

I yelled at the officer give him a ticket for not paying attention or something.

The officer just looked at me.

I think he was to angry to speak at that moment.

Please be careful out there!

Roy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Triathlete dies..... Rss Feed