USM Events
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 18m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 32/35
Pre-race routine:

I suprised myself by how well I slept. Usually I am a mess before a race of unconquered distances. I think the calmness of the well experienced boys (in HIM distance, thank you very much) I was staying with rubbed off. It also helped that our apartment was VERY comfortable. While the Gold Coast doesn't come highly recommended, the Q1 tower certainly does!

Race day alarm went off at 4.00am sharp, I had waited a few days and finally I felt fresh. Breakfast was a glass of juice and 2 pieces of toast with honey. The plan was to sip on a bottle of Gatorade leading up to the race which I kinda managed.

The drive in out 1984 Tarago complete with stylin' camel interior was a quiet one, until Groove Armada's Superstylin' pepped us up. I drew on it for inspiration later in the day.
Event warmup:

We'd timed our drive in so that theoretically there'd be plenty of time for transition set up, warm up including a jog and a swim. The line to the bathroom put paid to that and it was a bit of a scramble to make it to the swim start.
Swim
  • 36m 15s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Finally a sleeveless wetsuit pays off. The water was warm, about 1C off being a non-wetsuit swim. I was going to maintain feeling in my feet and I was pretty happy about that.

At 6:15am, running a touch late, our wave start went off. I'd placed myself nicely and didn't get swum over or feel the need to swim over anyone else. I felt great, I kept waiting for the sluggishness to kick in, but it never came. I felt on track with my navigation, mainly due to the fact that we were swimming in a walled canal so there was always something on the right to keep in line with.

The next thing I know, I'm pulling myself out of the water onto a very steep ramp and then I'm feeling my feet and they're running me into T1. I remember glancing at my watch and seeing 37 min about 3 minutes better than my predicted time and 8 minutes better than "worst swim ever" time.

What would you do differently?:

I kinda think the swim time was off. I have never swum this fast ever!
I am still really happy with this. For the first time in a while swim training has paid off!! This is really the motivation I needed to stick with the swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No individual times for transition, which is a bit of a bummer.
I opted for the shoes not attached to bike approach given that I hadn't done any transition training and the fact that my bike was pretty close to the exit.

So helmet, glasses, shoes on - check! Odometer - f*@k! No time to stress, nothing I can do now, but ride.

Attach odometer to bike when setting up.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 5s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 27.57 km/hr
Comments:

With no odometer I have to go by feel and HR. HR is pretty much useless as it's pretty high. The aim was always to keep a high cadence throughout and go as close to 3 hours as possible. I was a bit wobbly to start with, but my circulation sorted things out and I found my legs.

The course was undulating and thankfully I had seen more challenging hills in training (I'm a believer in training). I settled in for the long haul, trying to focus on nutrition. 1 power bar, 25g glucose lollies, 2 gus, 2 bottles of Gatorade (a sterling effort for a non drinker) and a few sips of water did the trick.

About an hour in my lower back gave out. Sadly I could generate more power sitting bolt upright rather than in aero. It was tough finding a comfortable position. I lost a bit of concentration at the 45km-50km mark. I could hear a noise. There had been numerous punctures and I was convinced I was also a victim but in the end I realised that it was my left knee coming up against my race number. Not brakes rubbing, not a flat, all was good mechanically speaking. I could get back to concentrating on my form. I started Superstylin' in my head and tried to keep positive about the pain and the wind that had picked up on the way in. Never in my adult life did I think that running would be preferable to the bike as I did at that stage.

Coming into T2 was fabulous. So much cheering. The race suit was a definite bonus in terms of recognition. I wimped out of the swing the leg over dismount, came to a stop and got off the bike. Ahh the release.

I certainly lost concentration there for a while. I probably could have had more to drink, but I felt properly fuelled. Would certainly have been handy to have my speedo.

Perhaps I need to do more swimming/riding bricks to see if my back can overcome the pain. Alternativey perhaps with taking my bike apart and putting it back together something was slightly amiss in alignment or height. Hmm a big unknown.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Oh yeah. It was good to get off the bike. Runners, hat, glasses, lollies - check. By this stage the cloud cover had burnt off and it was starting to get warm. So I took some extra time to get the 30+ sunscreen out of my bike cannister. A worthwhile "time-waster". The areas I didn't apply (like the back of my neck) got fried.

Sunscreen on before the race. I have no idea why I didn't do it. Probably because the forecast was for rain.
Run
  • 2h 26m 20s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Hmm running. Really slow running. The hill out of transition was a killer, the rest flat thankfully. Plenty of encouragement out on the course from other runners, spectators and volunteers. I was worried about dehydration given that it got warm/hot rather quickly once I started running. The aim was to get a drink at every aid station, water, electrolyte or both.

I did have the odd "I'm never going to finish this" thought. Then all of a sudden I'm getting closer to the cheering and I'm resigned to walk up that hill out of transition for the start of my second lap.

Nutrition wise I had 1 gu, 1 hammer gel & 25g glucose lollies. Coke (usually a most evil substance) became my friend at the final aid stations. By this stage I'd also managed to pick up some company and exchanged smiles with the other competitors still out there. There's no dount about it, I was hurting. Hips, hip flexors, hammies & ITB were all tired and well over it. As usual, that last 2 km went forever. I really didn't have much left in the tank (although suprisingly everyone said I looked pretty comfortable). Running towards the finish line with TriBal members cheering was pretty awesome. So was stopping as soon as I'd crossed the finish line!

12 minutes better than anticipated. Woo hoo!!

This is certainly my area that has "opportunities for improvement" to borrow from our bullsh*t office talk.

The time certainly disappoints me, but I honestly don't think I could have run any faster. So I'd say more bricks and some faster sessions are on the cards for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood under the mist shower to try and rid myself of the saltyness and really got into some orange quarters. I need to finish faster if I'd like a bigger array of food at the finish!

Waited at the finish line to cheer in other competitors.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

While I drank a ship-load on the days leading up to the race, I probably didn't drink enough on the bike. I think any warmer and I would have been in a lot of trouble. I did however get to a point whereby I didn't think I could tolerate anything else to drink on the run. Odd.

Finally a race whereby I felt confident in my training. Its a nce feeling to start the season with! I really just have to work on my running.

I enjoyed this distance so much and my experience surrounding it that I am seriously considering doing the Tassie Devonport HIM in January. I'd really hope to go closer to the 6 hour mark...

Event comments:

I'd do this again in a second. The course was great, drafting was not tolerated, the volunteers were enthusiastic. The presentations were pretty good and there were lots of spot prizes given away.

USM weren't overly organised, particularly on the Saturday with many race packets not ready (who opens registration just as the biggest game of the year is about to kick off??? There were some very unhappy Victorians, New South Welshmen & Western Australians!!!).

Last updated: 2006-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:15 | 1900 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: The course followed and L shape in Coomera waters.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:05 | 90.1 kms | 27.57 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 2 x 45km laps out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:26:20 | 21.1 kms | 06m 56s  min/km
Course: The run was a 2-lap, 10.55km course that wound through a housing development. A lot of out-and-backs which gave you the opportunity to see everyone multiple times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman

2006-10-11 1:02 AM
in reply to: #566272

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman

Congratulations Casie, I'm glad to hear that you did it and enjoyed the experience.

You are in a select group of people who can proudly say "I've done a HIM and survived!!!"

Super effort.

2006-10-11 1:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Congratulations Casie you are a half ironman!! thats an fantastic effort.  reading your report brought back all the memories of my race it all sounds so similar.  my back was so painful on the ride and I've never bene so glad to get off a bike in my life.

Hmm I htink you should head on over to this side of the country and do your second HIM in busso instead of tassie! hehe

Fantastic effort  I love the superstylin help too!  now everytime you hear that song you'll be able to think of what a great achievement this was!

2006-10-11 1:42 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Woo hoo!!!! 12 minutes better than expected! Thats AWESOME! Sounds to me like you just trucked right on through too....

Congratulations on finishing your first...hope you had a great rest before looking for the next one...

Take Care

Cat 

2006-10-11 2:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Well done Casie, you did good. Great swim/bike/run. Very inspiring, I can't believe your going to jump back in and do another one in January.

David

2006-10-11 4:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Awesome effort Cassie, sounds like the training and preparation paid off, great race report.

2006-10-11 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations on an excellent race!

Like I said in your logs, all that training and consistency really paid off. I knew you'd be faster even than your own predictions.

Bring on that January HIM!

2006-10-11 10:22 PM

User image

Congrats on a great race Cassie!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed reading your race report as well!!!!!

2006-10-12 6:43 PM

User image

NSW - Australia

ahhhh ...... finally a race report

What an awesome report. Glad the training paid off and it seems you had a ball. I just hope I can say the same after Port HIM.

Great to hear that you are thinking about Tassy HIM ........ me too

Top race ..... oh BTW did you put in to qualify for IMOZ?

2006-10-13 12:42 AM

New user

Auckland
Awesome result. Great to hear other folks "down under" getting deep and dirty into HIM training and events.

Good luck for the next HIM. Will we see you at IMOZ??
2006-10-13 2:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Nuked, Gavan

Ha! You two make me laugh. I am a long way off qualifying for IMOZ and I am a looong way off doing a full IM. I gotta conquer this distance first!

Thanks to everyone for their comments!!

2006-10-14 12:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Wow! Outstanding effort! Must be great to be able to say your a HIM finisher!

The swim sounded fantastic - and if the clock gave you those numbers they must be true! I'd certainly take numbers like that!

The bike sounded tough with a sore lower back - and then to better your anticipated run time by 12 mins - I'd call that pretty gutsy stuff - and all this in your first HIM.

Your report has inspired me to definitley do this next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman Rss Feed