General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
American Fork, Utah
United States
Hilltop Aquatics
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 30s
Overall Rank = 32/155
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Showed up plenty early to help out in any way I could since Brett, Randy and I were involved in helping organize the race. Also allowed me to get a good spot in the Transition zone.
Event warmup:

A whole lotta BS'n... Honestly, not much other than that. We did a couple laps in the pool (~200 m) to get the feel of it just prior to starting the swim. I had to check my new goggles to make sure they were going to work (More on that later...)
Swim
  • 05m 41s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had full intentions of pulling off a 5:15 swim on this, but instead, yes, I HAD MORE GOGGLE ISSUES! D'oh! My goggles were working like a charm for the first 100, and then, after a brief push off the wall, I'm looking through sloshing goggle water. It made me start freaking out, breathing erratically, just looking for the wall. I stopped at the next wall, dumped my goggles out, tried again, and AGAIN, my goggles were full of water again. I decided on the fourth lap I was just going to have to live with it and finished. Unfortunately while I was messing with my goggles, I got passed once, so I lost a spot. Dang, maybe I'll get it right the next time!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I stick my goggle straps through the keeper so they stay tight before going. And learn to deal with leaky goggles. It's possible to keep swimming even with water in the eyes!
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Wow, I really need to get my butt into gear again with these transitions. I've taken this "relax in transition" strategy way too far. I could have almost advanced two places in age group just by shaving two minutes off of my transition times.

I messed with my new Garmin way too long in this transition too. Didn't help.

Faster! Much faster transitions next time. No more goofing around... I thought it might help me perform better in the bike and run, but I don't think it has enough effect to justify it. Let's put it this way: I'd be better off running a minute slower than sitting around in transition wasting it.
Bike
  • 36m 30s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I should have pushed a bit harder on this and pulled off the 19+ I was aiming for. I think I was easily capable of it, but I'm way too cautious about everything. I need to lay it all out on the line and see what I can do!

Push HARDER! I might have been able to get 20 if I really wanted it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Again, I took WAY TOO LONG here, but I do have an excuse. I needed to have some water- didnt have any on the bike- so I thought it was justified. However, I could have done it in 1 min rather than two.

Quit messing around. If I want the gold, act like it!
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt really good, with the exception of the hill. I struggled to hold a decent pace (I may as well have been walking), so that impacted my overall performance. The one exception to this that allows me to say the run felt really good was the mental trick I used about half-way through. I started telling myself "this is a piece of cake" and "the finish line is just around the corner" and I was a different athlete. I fixed my poor start with an excellent finish.

Again, I could push myself harder. I think I had a 7:30 in me for this course if I had wanted it bad enough.

Run harder faster stronger!
Post race
Warm down:

More on this later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The mental game... It's always tougher than I imagine it will be before hand, and when I get there and it's time to deliver, I refuse. "Getting that high rank" in the race just isn't enough to motivate. I need to find a real driver.

Event comments:

Excellent race. And excellent race website if I do say so myself :) I'd definitely do it again. I especially liked the Subway sandwiches, bagels and Great Harvest bread at the end! Very cool!

Last updated: 2006-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:41 | 328 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 31/155
Performance: Average
6 Lengths (3 Laps) in 50m olympic pool, serpentine style across six lanes.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:30 | 11.3 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 30/155
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course is tough. A short but brutal hill you have to tackle with two parts at the beginning of the loop, and then a constant slight uphill until about 3.5 mi in. Then it's downhill from there and on to a second loop on the same course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:23:43 | 03 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 33/155
Performance: Good
Course: Same as bike but shortened loop to three miles. Same stinkin' brutal hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-11 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon

2006-10-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: #566769

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon

HEY -- He posts his race report.

Great Race billy, except for your transitions!  But we all have our deamons!

Telos is going to be a great and fun race, if I cen get rid of these sore arms from the buttload of pushups I've been doing lately.

Mental game is critical.  I'm finding I'm having to work on that a lot more lately myself!

2006-10-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: #566769

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon
Great race! Sounds like you had a great time.

$.02, so take it for what its worth: I would work on those transitions, its free time. The best way is to practice them during your taper week. Write it down as a goal. You can knock off 3 minutes total from your times and think what you would have to do to knock off 3 minutes in a 5K run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed