Dallas Athletes
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Times will be updated once the official times have been posted. Since this race was less than a mile from my house, I was a lot more relaxed than I ever have been. Maybe because these are the streets and trails that I run and bike on daily. Saturday, spent the afternoon with Haley and Aaron and Shiner and Shadow! It was like a dog park! We went to packet pick-up and then to the movies. I highly recommend the departed. Very violent but very good! Had a lousy nights sleep. Got up at 5:30 and by 6 Aaron and I rode over to the transition area.
Event warmup:

The rain had not started yet and since we got there early I got a great location at the end of the rack right on the aisle for the swim in and bike and run out. Not much else of a warmup.
Swim
  • 7h 57m
  • 328 yards
  • 2h 25m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Starts were based on the time you listed for a 300 meter swim. I was the 230th starter and people were starting 8 seconds apart so it was a bit of a wait but once I got in the water I quickly passed the girl who started in front of me. I think I went out a little too fast in the first 50 meters but then settled into a comfortable pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not go out as fast and spend some more time in the pool. I really neglect that aspect of my training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

The rain has just started as I came out of the pool. Decided to go without glasses and gloves. Other than that, I was happy with this transition.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The roads were just getting wet when I left on the bike. The rain started and stopped based on where I was on the course. I was happy with my performance but I think I was a little tentative knowing that the roads were slick and that I had zero treading on my tires. These are roads I ride a lot and I think that helped. I knew where the hills were. It was hard to see sometimes because the rain was hitting me in the face.

Have the ability to control the weather. Drink more. I think because the temps were cooler than I am used to, I forget that I still sweat and need to replace hydration. I don't think I even had half of one of my bottles on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I tried taking my feet out of my shoes before the dismount. I know, never try anything new on race day. I got my shoes undone at the right time but waited too long to take my feet out. I did it though, it just wasn't pretty.

This off season I am going to practice the whole getting into and out of the shoes while on the bike thing.
Run
  • 35m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Let the downpour begin. When I left on the run, it was sprinkling but not too heavy. It took about 1/4 mile for my legs to come to me and I had to stop once to take off my shoe and fix my sock. It was bunched up in my shoe and really uncomfortable. Because my socks and shoes were wet I was not able to flatten it without taking the shoe off. My legs finally came back to me and I felt good. It continued to sprinkle until I got to the turnaround at the 1.5 mile point and then the skies just opened up! It was actually not too bad running in the rain. I liked it!

Make sure my socks are not twisted before I put my shoe on. Just keep running and getting better.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Steve, Haley, Aaron, John and Mandi hunkered down under some big umbrellas. Decided that it did not make sense for all of us to stand there in the rain. Steve and John went to get some stuff for breakfast and Haley, Aaron and I waited for the awards. Finally the times were posted and guess what...I GOT HARDWARE! Finished 3rd in my AG! My first hardware (aside from finishers medals)! The cool thing was that I race in Athena 40+ and my time was third fastest of all athenas. That's right, there were no under 40's who had as good a time as I did! Aaron finished 3rd in his AG so we both walked away with hardware.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain is the only thing

Event comments:

The race was a halloween theme and they really did a great job with that. They played halloweenie music in transition. The lights at the pool were turned down and there was a fog machine. The volunettrs at the aid station were all dressed in costume. And the RD was a not so attractive Carmen Miranda. Even with the rain, people were having a great time. Several people wore costumes on the run. There were a bunch of ballerinas, a cherleder, Superman and a scary guy just broke out of jail to race. After the race, they had pancakes! Oh yeah, saving this till the end because only a few will read this far...most embarssing race moment, a 10 year old (yes, I said 10) passed me with about 50 yard to go. If he didn't weigh 40 pounds and was 4 foot tall I would have heard him and kicked it up a notch :)

Last updated: 2006-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
07:57:00 | 328 yards | 2h 25m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Keller ISD nanatorium pool. A 50 yard pool seems so long when you are used to swimming in a 25 yard pool. 300 yards - up one lane, under the ropes and down the next. Repeat 6 times
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:38 | 12 miles | 15.78 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops on county roads
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:27 | 03.11 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Course: Out and back park trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-15 5:35 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2006-10-15 5:52 PM
in reply to: #569479

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-15 7:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
Sounds like a lot of fun Marcy!!  Congrats on the race and the hardware!!
2006-10-15 7:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

It was nice meeting you today!  I'm one of the under 40 Athenas you spanked today.  Great job out there. 

2006-10-15 10:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job, Marcy!  Always good to 'strap for you!
2006-10-16 7:05 AM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job in tough condition Marcy!!!!!  Congrats on hardware

2006-10-16 9:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Congrats on the hardware!! I thought it was a fun race - considering the ran. Sure would have loved to meet you all, but the conditions were just measrable and my daughter was not wanting to stay any longer. Don't you just hate those 40 pound runners sneaking up on you?
2006-10-17 8:38 AM

Master
McKinney, TX
Hardware! Congrats! Must be that homefield advantage.
2006-10-18 12:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Great race.  It's always nice to race where you train.  It was such a fun race to watch, too.  I was actually impressed by your bike dismount - it really didn't look as bad as you say.    Thanks for the breakfast and good times after!
2006-10-18 1:15 PM

Champion
Wisconsin

wow, it's esepcially impressive that you finished the whole race in an hour and a half but the swim took you seven hours ... doh!!

fun to get hardware, you go! 

2006-10-18 9:07 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!  HARDWARE!!!

Awesome run...twisted socks and all!  Wish I could've been there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed