Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Totally forgot to grab breakfast. Usually I have a bagel waiting in the car for me, but I didn't plan well this time.
Event warmup:

We found our spots, grabbed the champion chip and staked out hte pool situation. Jason doesn't see well without his glasses so he askeda round about where he could stash them coming out of the pool. We also ran into JeepFleep & DodgersMom.
Swim
  • 07m 11s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

6 laps in the Keller natatorium, which is where I do most of my swim training. Jason & I got in line and the butterflies started going off in my stomach. I had to pull out my May mantra... "Why do we do this? Cause its FUN". The best part is while we were waiting I got to lean up against Jason. He was nice and warm.

The pool wasn't as cold as usual, and we had the whole lane to swim in. I was pretty much on my own for the whole thing and even passed a few people
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I don't worry about speeding through transition. I figure I'm in it for the haul I may as well get done what I need to get done.

It rained while we were in the pool, so everything was a little bit damp pulling it on.

The best part was Jason was still out there, so I got a kiss before he took off on the bike.
Bike
  • 47m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Like I said it had rained while we were in the pool, so the streets were a little bit damp. It was also kinda chilly out there. We'd driven the route the day before and knew we had some hills to contend with but nothing too bad. The roads were wide, and very safe. There were lots of police out there keeping us going through the lights. They were so awesome standing out there in th rain for us. Oh yeah, it started up raining again while we were on the bike. It wasn't too bad, but it was coming in my eyes when I was trying to take advantage of some down hills. You had to do 2 loops, and I think I got better on the second loop, because I knew where I could take advantage of things. I got passed many many times, but I also got to pass a few people too.

Oh and I started remembering one of my favorite parts about tri, everyone is so nice. I would get encouragement....as the other biker was flying past me!
What would you do differently?:

Get better on hills. I'm going to work on my hill repeats this winter. I've also got to get a faster cadance. I have such slow turnover!
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

As I was walking the bike in I saw Jason looking like he was getting ready to take off. I hollered at him and he waited around and talked to me as I switched into my running shoes. He runs wya faster than me, so he gave me a kiss and we took off for the last section.
Run
  • 41m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I settled in to my run. We had walked the course yesterday, so I knew what to expect. I really need to do that on all my runs...that way I can coach myself through the hard bits! As always run is my weakest section, so I just wanted to run it all. At my last race it was hot and horrible, so I had to walk/run. For my mental state it is better for me to run the whole thing slower than I could go if I did a run/walk combo...anyways. SO I settled into my trudging schlep! It was still raining out, but our course put us under some trees so it wasn't too bad. Again everyone was so encouraging as I ran. I loved it. THere were also a few people out in costumes. In fact, there was one guy who had a shark fin on his back, so there was a shark fin in the water during the swim. That rocked!! As I approached the turnaround, I saw Jason on his way back (no we didn't kiss this time :p...leave us alone, we're newlyweds). Right about that time the heavens opened an the rain poured down. Luckily it didn't stay really hard for very long, but it still sucked eggs. At that point all there was left to do, was turn around and run another 1.5 miles home. I knew I was going to be able to run the whole way...so I tried to keep my head up as much as possible, and talked myself through the rest of the course. CUrsing the uphills and enjoying the downhills!
What would you do differently?:

I have got to start running again. It makes me feel good when I can run. I look good when I'm running. I just have to suck it up and find the time to do more than just a few 2 milers at lunch during the week. I think I'm going to figure out a run plan to get me to the Turkey trot this year. I Have such great memories of running it with May and Sheila....I want to do it again...this time without puking at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Jason was there for the last kick of therun. I managed to put a smile on my face for the pictures. We headed over to our transition area and had to pick up our sopping wet gear. I picked up the towel I was using and rivers of water ran from it. It was CRAZY.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. The fact that it was 9 miles from the house didn't hurt anything. It was so nice to do it with Jason and he kicked major butt on this thing that he trained and ran to help keep me motivated and moving....even though he hates to run. It was good. I'm starting to remmber why I like this sport. Now I just need to find the time and mental toughness to start training for real again!

Last updated: 2006-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:11 | 328 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:04 | 12 miles | 15.30 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:31 | 03.11 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-15 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2006-10-15 7:54 PM
in reply to: #569544

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
CONGRATS and great job! I wish you would have told the Texas forum you were going to be there, we could have found you and cheered for you!
2006-10-15 9:15 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Way to go!

Nice race on a rain day. This is why we love it. Not many people do what we do and in the elements - 50-1150 degrees, sun snow rain, wind, waves. It is just a blast.

Enjoy the moments!

(triathlonanimationgif.gif)

Attachments
----------------
triathlonanimationgif.gif (27KB - 68 downloads)
2006-10-15 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Nice race!  Ditto what Comet said!
2006-10-16 5:56 AM

Online or Offline

YOU ROCK! I can tell how excited you are about getting back into it all and racing! Even sweeter that you have your sweetie to be next to you when you train and race!

GOOD JOB, and you'll be turkey trotting again in no time!

2006-10-16 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Great job on the race.

What no kiss at the end???

2006-10-16 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOOHOO KRISTIN RIDES AGAIN   good to see you back at it...and who is this Jason ?  I'm so out of it....IM trainingn does that to a person
2006-10-16 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
'cause it's FUN.  That's right!    nice race.
2006-10-17 10:17 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice job chica.  Glad to see you back at it.  Jason sounds like a great catch, gotta love those TX boys!    Heh, Mike's gonna do Hyannis w/me next year 

2006-10-18 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
great job on the race.  I was fun even for us spectators.
2006-10-18 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
How fun to do a race with your hubby!    Sounds like you made the best of it and had a fun race.  I would have cheered for you if I'd known you're a BT'er (I was pretty much the only spectator in costume - a grey cat suit.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed