Canada
7C / 45F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up feeling rested, had breakfast and chatted with mom.
Event warmup:

Drove to the race site to pick up our packets and to give my mom something to do while she waited for the race to start. Then we drove back home, got changed, said bye to my dad and went to the race. Walked around a little, watched others stretch and warm up. I did a little jog around to get warm and my mom continued to get herself worked up.
Run
  • 31m 7s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 13s  min/km
Comments:

To put it simply the first 3.5-4km were very, very painful. Started out with my mom, but she quickly sent me off as the pace was a bit fast for her. I felt ok getting started, a little stiff, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then I got this really painful sensation on the top of my feet, mid ankle to mid foot. I tried to run though it, and fought it mentally, but it really really hurt. I found myself limping along and not working out of it at all. I then ran passed my parents house and waved to my dad who was sitting on the porch waiting for us. Just after that I had to stop and I untied my shoes and tied them up again, nice and loose. I really pay close attention to this every time I run.. and did so when I laced up before the race. I don't think that was the source of my problems, but it made me feel better to have attempted to do something about the pain. Got to the mid way point, had a bit of water and checked my watch. I was at 16mins. A little slower than I had wanted, but I tried not to get too concerned with the time. At this stage I just wanted to finish the race and hoped in doing so I was not injuring myself. At 3km I passed some very cheerful and funny men. They were in their 50's and were hilarious. They were cracking comments about the "young lady" passing them (thats me) and how I must be smirking. I was not, because I've learned that age isn't the be all, end all of racing! (which they reinforced today as they both finished before me) But they made me laugh. We continued to play a friendly little game of cat and mouse for the rest of the race. Once I hit 4km I was finally warmed up and the pain in my ankles was much improved. Thats where I hit my stride and actually felt like I was running. I checked my watch and I had about 5 mins left to make it in under 30mins. I remained hopeful, but at this point, it was a lost cause. I just focused on running in strong and staying positive. I crossed the mat strong, with a smile. The I walked back until I saw my mom and ran in with her. She was doing really well. Having fun, HUGE smile on her face. I think she may have even been laughing. It was great to see.

What would you do differently?:

Do a real warm up, stretch and make sure my shoes aren't too tight.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and made our way to the food. Then waited for awards and draw prizes. I won a gift certificate for a hair cut at a local salon. Which is good because I need a hair cut.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pain. I really don't know what caused this pain. I've never felt even a slight twinge in that area before. I'll have to look into it so I am prepared for next time.

Event comments:

I am very proud of my mom. She has come a long way and it was sooo worth it to see her running to the finish and listening to her post race going on and on about her wonderful experience.

Last updated: 2006-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:07 | 05 kms | 06m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: flat course from downtown Guelph, passed my parents house at about 2km, then the route took us around my neighbourhood and back to downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Downtown 5k.

2006-11-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: #589511

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Guelph Downtown 5k.

great job finishing with the pain! And you went back to finish with your Mom!

Great Job

2006-11-06 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Great race Elly! More power to you to push trough the pain but smart enough to analyse if there was need to stop.  So cool to see that you raced with your mom (i can't wait to do that with my kids!)
2006-11-06 7:05 PM

Master
Way to hang in there Elly! WooHoo!
2006-11-07 11:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-07 12:50 PM

Expert