Egg white omlette and some wheat toast.
Event warmup:

Biked a few blocks to the start.
Bike
  • 3h 43m
  • 50 miles
  • 13.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my longest bike ride to date. Had some issues. Experience a flat tire 5 miles and wasn't too good at changing it. Someone helped me. Will practice that so maybe that is a good thing.

Also a bee got stuck in my helmet. And stung me of course. So I had some throbbing pain for some time.

And some of the markings were confusing. I somehow near the finish ended up with the metric century and I realized I had only gone 46 miles so I turned off on my own into a housing development and biked around until I got 50 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Practice changing a flat. Need to spend more time in the saddle. All I could think about at the end was that I can't believe I am going to have to run a half-marathon after this in just a few more months.
Post race
Warm down:

Had lunch and took a nap. Went wine tasting thereafter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't really been doing long runs. Most of rides have been under 90 minutes and this was nearly 4 hours. Also, need to practice more hill riding.

Event comments:

It was a casual event. Not timed and you started whenever you want. More of a social event.

Last updated: 2006-11-05 12:00 AM
Biking
03:43:00 | 50 miles | 13.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Up and down some hills around Solvang.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Solvang Prelude 50 Miles

2006-11-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: #589695

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Solvang Prelude 50 Miles

Congratulations on your first 50 miler!  Wow, a flat and a bee on the same ride! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who circles around near the end when I want to reach a certain mileage.  LOL!

Good job!

2006-11-06 1:22 PM

User image

Hey Mark, nice way to get your longest ride.  Weather was gorgeous and not too cold.  I got nailed by a bunch of bees, not just the one in my mouth :^.  Don't imagine getting stung on the head feels any good either.

And yes, the markings can be confusing.

Did your wife enjoy the ride?

2006-11-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #590317

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ChrisM - 2006-11-06 1:22 PM

Hey Mark, nice way to get your longest ride.  Weather was gorgeous and not too cold.  I got nailed by a bunch of bees, not just the one in my mouth :^.  Don't imagine getting stung on the head feels any good either.

And yes, the markings can be confusing.

Did your wife enjoy the ride?

Perfect weather indeed. Wife did the 25 miler but she should have done the 50 miler with me which we will do together next year.

I saw that 'smart' people had taped the course directions to their bike. There was this one point where a bunch of us were circling and wondering which way to go because they had the green arrows pointing in different directions. It may have been there from a former race though.

I had no idea it was such a casual event. I got there 15 minutes early and the RD said go whenever you want. Huh? How will they know my time? Figured out quickly that this was a social event. It was nice to do something like this since all my events have been so competitive.

I looked for you after at the BBQ but no success.
2006-11-07 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Sounds like a great scenic way to get a long ride in . You guys Make me want to stop running and get back on my bike.

Tough luck on the bees and the %^%*( flat tires . How as your nutrition and fluid intake during the ride. Was any food or water given on the ride?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solvang Prelude 50 Miles Rss Feed