General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Treasure Island, California
United States
Tri-California
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 31m 18s
Overall Rank = 580/650
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/52
Pre-race routine:

The training gods were not with me during my last few weeks of training. Leading up to this race I was sick for 2 weeks, was on business travel and had a bruised foot which was so swollen I could not get my feet into my sneakers or bike shoes. I did no training for the 2 weeks leading up to the race, my bike had dust on it and I seriously debated even attempting the race. Decided to at least start the race and see how I felt.

Could not sleep and tossed and turned from 4am-5:10am and finally decided to just start getting ready. Woke my mom (she came from NJ to watch me race) and Matt (hubby) up. Asked Matt to pump my tired as I finished getting things ready. Turns out my tires would not pump-up! Matt said there must be a problem with the valve, so I said, let's get it on the car and I'll see if someone at the bike aid station can figure out what to do when I get there. The entire ride over to the island was worried that my race was over before it started.
Event warmup:

Got to the race and when I parked, walked over to a guy (he turned out to be my hero) a few cars over pumping up his tires. I asked if I could use his pump and he told me he would pump them up for me. I explained that they were not filling when I was home. He tried to pump them and said, "well it looks like you need a new tube" I said, "great, I have one. I'll go over to bike and get some help with it" (I have never had a flat before and while the bike shop showed me how to change a tire, I wanted to make sure it was done right) He said, "no problem, I'll do it for you." I was AMAZED that a total stranger would do this for me! I love the people in this sport! So he changed my tire, we wished one another the best of luck and I of course thanked him a million time over as did my mom. Then I headed over to transition and body marking. Ate a banana while waiting for my wave which started at 9am.
Swim
  • 39m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really excited to get started since the race began at 7:15, but I had to wait until 9am for my wave of yellow caps to begin. There was a lot of bumping and kicking in the start. One girl next to me was not sighting and kept swimming into me at an angle which was annoying. The first bouy felt like miles away, kinda like in a horror movie when the hallway seems really long and no matter how fast you run you can never get to the end of it. Finally to the bouy and turned and on my way to second one, I started to feel like doing the race maybe was not the best idea. I kept thinking about my mom who had come 3,000 miles to watch me tri. Finally finished my first lap in 19 minutes and was shocked that I was basically swimming the pace I had estimated! During the second lap, I felt super slow and just could not wait to get out of the water. At the end of the swim there are a few steps under water and 2 volunteers to help you out, way cool. I ran through the chute and saw my mom and my friends that had come to see me race, hubby had missed the start. They shouted "go Abbie" and I looked at my watch and was shocked that I was out of the water in about 40 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick before my first Oly and find more time to train when oon business travel.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I had a problem getting out of my wetsuit on my wrists, not sure why. Also struggled with my socks.

Maybe start riding without socks
Bike
  • 1h 34m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I had not been on my bike for some time, I was really worried about this. This was also a very technical/bumpy course and I usually don't ride where there are tons of turns so this was also a big concern. Got on the bike and was just thrilled to be out of the water. First few laps seemed to go ok, but when I went to open my gel, I dropped it! Ugg. Thankfully I had a powerbar, but had to struggle a bit to open the package. Was able to eat some of it during the ride, but with all of the turns I did not wat to ride with one hand for very long. The turn-around point was up-hill. Normally this would not be very steep for me compared to the hills I ride here, but after not being on my bike for so long, the hill was tough. every time I turned around I was so glad ot coast down the hill I wanted to yell "yippee". I also was able to take a bottle of water from an aid station, I felt pretty cool doing that :) I saw 3 people with flats on the course and 3 people at ambulances, I was really glad that I did not get a flat (I guess I got that out of the way before the race even started) and did not fall. At the 4 lap, my lack of movement for the previous weeks caught up to me, my legs felt stiff, I was hating being on my bike and I wanted off. The good part was I was able to see my hubby, mom and friends on a few laps!

More training while eating and drinking on the bike. My time was about 10-12 minutes slower than I usually can ride this distance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

When I got off of the bike my legs were dead. This was the first time that my legs felt so bad coming off of the bike. I wobbled to my bike rack, the thought of a slow jog did not cross my mind.

Say a few prayers to the tri-gods about 6 weeks prior to the race?
Run
  • 1h 12m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked most of the first lap out. I was happy to just be moving one foot in front of the other. After a while my legs felt a little better and I would run past 4 of the divider cones and then walk 2, then ran past 4 and so on. I did this for most of the race and then I started to get a side stitch. Once I felt that, I began to walk more and hopes that the side stitch would not get worse. That finally went away and I began to do my run/walk. I had a banana on the second lap which helped. On my way back to the finish line I looked at my watch and saw that I could finish in about 3:30, which I would be happy with. I finally got to the street where I could see the finish line and tried to run as much as I could. About 100 yeards fron the finsih line I heard someone yell, "GO BT!" Very cool, so I ran as fast as I coud to the finish line. I was so excited to see my mom and hubby and get a finishers medal!

Try to stay healthy
Post race
Warm down:

Took pictures, ate some salad and craved a Coke! Geex I never drink soda, but all I wanted was a Coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As if I have not mentioned all of my issues leading up to the race enough? :)

Event comments:

I think this course would have been a really good race for me had I not had so many problems leading up to the day. Everything was flat and I think next year I will have a much beter time on the clock, and just a better time on the course. I'm thrilled I decided to do the race and look forward to getting faster this winter.

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:55 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 531/650
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca
Course: 2 reverse triangles
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:10 | 24.85 miles | 15.83 mile/hr
Overall: 520/650
Wind: Little
Course: 6 loops and LOTs of turns
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:37 | 06.21 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 614/650
Course: 2 laps, out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-06 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-11-06 11:53 AM
in reply to: #590153

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Hey, way to soldier on and finish your race.  :-)  Nice job.
2006-11-06 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
you did it! overcoming obstacles all the while!
thanks for the RR.
great job!
-mary
2006-11-06 10:57 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hey Abbie, way to stick through all the pre-race adversity. Must have been nice to have the support of your family there too. Congrats. Hopefully you won't have any of the same issues for your future races. At least that'll mean you'll likely PR next year
2006-11-13 6:45 PM

User image

Napa

Yay for Abbie!  Sounds like you enjoyed yourself despite the adversities with training and your bike, etc.  I'll bet your Mom was really glad she came to watch you.

I had fun at the sprint, but now I want to do Oly next year after reading your race report.

Was it me or was the water in the bay extra cold that weekend?

2006-11-13 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Great effort Abbie! Your RR gave me alot to think about with training, ie learn to eat and ride at the same time, practicing gels. Thanks for the report and good job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed