Rochester Orienteering Club
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 5s
Overall Rank = 28/87
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Slept pretty crappy the night before. I actually had a small cup of coffee before the race which I never do. Wish I hadn't because I had to pee way too many times before the race started. Ate normal raisin bran cereal and made sure I drank plenty of water. This was the first race I've run in where I didn't feel dehydrated. Even vacuumed some floors before we had to pick the babysitter up at 8:15!
Event warmup:

Rained pretty hard the entire drive to the race, but ended up not raining one drop during!! Did several short runs between bathroom stops. Stretched. Got race tags and checked out the map of the course in the lodge. Talked to a few people we know. My biggest stressor was whether or not I should wear my trail shoes or my good running shoes. I'm so glad I ended up choosing my running shoes.
Run
  • 55m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 10K run ever. It was very tough, so I can't decide if it was a good one to start with. The next one I do (if I do) I'm sure my time will only be better. I promised my hubby I would stay with him the entire race... He is actually a pretty strong runner, but I had him on the uphills and had to wait for him a few times at the top, but just for a few seconds. I actually appreciated the brief breaks. Until the female runner in the skirt passed me... Then I got a little cranky. Oh well. About 1 mile in a guy twisted his ankle on a rock. It didn't look too good for him. About 5 1/2 K into the race I got tripped up on a root, but made a pretty nice recovery. Then at about the 6K mark I got distracted by a sign the ROC organizers put up and before I knew it, WHAMO!!, I went sliding down to the muddy ground like I was sliding into home base. Had mud up and down both legs, and my shoulder/neck region wasn't too pleased with me. But I feel fine now. Thankfully I landed in a bed of soft leaves instead of rocks. This race definitely made me swallow my pride a little bit. The last 1/2 mile or so is mostly downhill. The organizers say that's because they want people to come back next year! I probably will, but you won't see me signing up to run that loop more than one time for sure.
What would you do differently?:

Not worn my fleece half-zip shirt. I was chilly before the start, but could have done without it for most of the race.

I'm glad I stayed with Rob, but it is in the back of my mind "How fast could I have really gone?" In all actuality, probably not much more. My time ended up being 1 second faster than his, even though we crossed the line together. I told him he better be happy that I got that second instead of him... ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some and went back to the lodge to get some water and a bagel. The highlight of my day: A woman (of all people) told me "You have great legs!" I gasped a little, then she came back with, "Don't worry, I'm married and have 4 kids." We ended up talking a little bit. How could I not get to know someone a little better after a compliment like that! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Would need to train more on trails and hills. And train more for longer distances. Until today I had not run a 10K. I used to about 9 or 10 years ago...

Event comments:

The Rochester Orienteering Club has put this race on for 13 years now. I think it keeps getting bigger. It's their biggest fund raiser. I think they were a little understaffed for the turnout. Thankfully we'd registered on-line, so we zipped through to get our tags. At least half of the participants waited until today to register. That line was long. The organizer at the start line really needed a bullhorn as he was attempting to give race instructions, nobody could hear him. And they only had one water station on the entire course, but it is tough terrain and they do warn you on the registration form. Most of the longer distance runners were prepared with their own hydration systems. My biggest, or only real complaint, was that there were not enough bathrooms. The lines were way too long for that. Overall it was a really cool race, and the park is just beautiful. I'll do it again for sure. Rob's going to be on the ROC board next year, so maybe he can help solve some of their difficulties. I have a feeling by default I'll be volunteering my time a lot more too...

Last updated: 2006-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:05 | 06.21 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 28/87
Performance: Average
Max HR 185 Avg HR 170 Scored a new Max HR today!!
Course: Holy Moly! This was a tough course... Approximately 1100 feet of climb. The first 1/2 mile started out on a road, then the rest was a real trail run lots of big, big hills. Had to concentrate carefully on the path and watch out for rocks, roots and horse poop. Much of the trail was leaf covered, so made looking out for things a little tougher. Some of the trails were sandy. ROC did a nice job marking the course with orange flags and cones. It meandered through a large portion of the park. No turn around point, a 10 K loop, so the 20K and 50K (ugh) participants just did the same loop 2 or 5 times.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-11 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Mendon Trail Run

2006-11-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #596601

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Mendon Trail Run
Nice run and congrats on the new high HR!
2006-11-11 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Okay Kam, you had me at the vacuuming.  Lord Almighty.  Then that elevation gain?  And the slippery mud slide???  Color me impressed, you guys did GREAT.  Congratulations!
2006-11-11 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Nice race!  Reading your race report brought back fond memories of my years in high school running cross country and competing in nordic skiing in that park.   Not sure if they still use the same names but I remember two particularly nasty hills named "cardiac" and "coronary". 
2006-11-12 1:28 AM

You really did choose a tough course for your very first 10K, which makes it all the more impressive that you did so well. Excellent job!
2006-11-12 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
It's not like road racing.  Congrates on the finish.  Nice that you could hang with hubby. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mendon Trail Run Rss Feed