General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's Knee???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-04 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Runner's Knee????
Last Thursday I did my first ever 7 mile run in prep fom my 1st oly on 8/22. Near the end, I started experiencing some pain behind my left kneecap. I iced it, took ibuprovfen and rested unitl today. I was able to get 5 miles in w/ some discomfort.. As the day goes on tho it hurts more and more, especially up and down stairs. Does this sound like runners knee? Any advice for treatment? I just picked up a Jumper's Knee Strap ( add that to my list of recent pruchases, but don't tell the wife!). Not sure it's gonna do anything but I'll try it next time I run. I would've like to get 1 or 2 more long runs in b4 I taper but rest may be the prudent thing. I'm already registered and the hotel is booked so I've gotta deal. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks, Mark

p.s. I have mentioned that I HATE running! My body is not built fo the wear and tear damn it!

2004-08-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: #43562

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Runner's Knee????
Have you been warming up properly? Are you increasing your long distance too quickly? I'm only going up a 1/2 mi every week (8.5 mi last week) and am including recover weeks. I've planned my mileage to go up only 4% - 5% each week so that I don't overdo it. What are you doing after the run? I find that sitting in a tub of icewater for 15 min after running helps everything feel better.

I think you should be careful not to overdo it until your knee start improving. I went through some rough times with mine when I first started running and when I was increasing my mileage closer to 10% each week. They still ache a bit towards the end of my long runs, but it goes away after icing and rest.

Good luck -- I hope you feel better.
2004-08-04 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Hey Bones,
That happened to me 3 weeks ago. It happened on a Wed. I tried to run and couldn't do more than 5 minutes. It took one week and 3 days of complete rest with lots of ice packs (Don't know if the ice did anything) before I could run again. I don't know what caused it or why it went away. But its gone and since then I bought new shoes and it hasn't been back
Tom
2004-08-05 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Again...and I've only experienced it once but...when was the last time you bought some new shoes? I had the same pain, read somewhere that a pain behind the kneecap is the first sign that your shoes are done for, changed my shoes and the pain was gone within 1-2 days. Was pain free for a week, looked at my old shoes and decided to give them a try again...not more than 20 feet later my knee hurt again.

The up and downstairs pain is just now starting again in my knee and I plan on going out tomorrow to buy new shoes…fyi, it’s been 335 bike miles/105 run miles/50 work days in my current shoes.

As a side note, I changed out shoes about 15 miles before my tri-date...15 miles was enough to break them in.
2004-08-05 12:39 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Without any other history of your running program it's hard to tell if you are overtraining. If you are feeling pain like you describe, chances are that you are overtraining and you need to cut back/rest and let the knee heal. There is no benefit in 'running through' the pain, especially where the knee is concerned.

Judging by the fact that this is your first ever run of 7 miles, I'll assume you are not a long time runner, it seems likely that you have only been running for a short time. A couple points to consider as you decide how to best deal with knee pain....

1. SLOWLY increase weekly distance as you progress - conventional wisdom says by no more than 10% weekly
2. every 3-4 weeks give yourself a recovery week and reduce the amount of running and biking and take some extra rest
3. work on strength training and stretching. the knee (and other joints/tendons) are less likely to become injured if the supporting muscle is strong and flexible. Also, unbalanced strength in the leg can lead to knee problems - make sure you are working anterior and posterior muscle groups
4. work on core strength - glutes and quads, abs and lower back - these seem a bit far from the knee, but I'm starting to really believe that the stronger the core, the better your form, and thus the lower chance of injury
5. shoes - make sure they are right for your run style - go to a running shop and have your run analyzed. consider and ask about insole pads. If your current shoes are old, get new ones. DON'T wear your running shoes for ANYTHING OTHER THAN RUNNING! If at all possible don't bike, walk, cut grass, or go to work in the shoes you run in. This compromises the shoe's ability to absorb the impact of running.
6. try to run in flat areas on lower impact surfaces (e.g. crushed gravel is good, avoid concrete). Stay off roads that are crowned and force you to run leaning to one side.
7. On longer runs, walk regularly, even if only for a few steps. This takes the strain off the knee for a few seconds and provides some relief. Put aside any macho tendency to keep going despite the pain. The time you might lose walking instead of running will be of no consequence.
8. technique - maintain a good vertical posture, head back and chest/belly out. Shorten your stride a little and keep a steady "fast feet" cadence (as opposed to longer strides that place greater strain on your knee and force your foot to land on the heel).
9. slow down. slow down. oh yeah, slow down.
2004-08-05 3:53 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
A podiatrist is a runner's best friend. Most of us have some kind of joint/bone imbalance which causes the knee to work out of ideal alignment during walking. Running exacerbates this movement. At one point, I could not run for more than a mile and afterwards couldn't walk down stairs for 2 days. Turns out that one leg is 1/8" longer than the other which means that the knee on the longer leg has to give. With custom orthotics made by my podiatrist to correct this, I've never had a problem since.

S.

2004-08-05 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I concur, go see a doctor. You need to find out why its happening before you create any long term damage.
2004-08-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #43912

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I may have just been pushing too hard. I went from 5 to 7 miles pretty quickly plus most of my running is on the streets of Manhattan. Think I'll stick to the gravel track around the resevoir after some rest. I iced it 2x yesterday and have been taking advil every 4 hours, swam this morn w/o using the leg much and the pain has subsided substantially. I'm not going to try to run till next week and even then I will go SLOWLY!!!!

Thanks again,
Mark
2004-08-05 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

Well I had the same problem 3 weeks ago, I even went to the doctor/x-rays/drugs/rest.  And the keep comming during and after running.  I went to a local running store, they look at my shoes and they where worn out (old).  They told me that the life of a running shoes, are 300-350 miles or from 4 to 6 months, or until your start feeling knee pain.

I bought new shoes Mizuno Wave Rider 7, same line as previous shoes (Mizuno Mercury).

On Tuesday I ran 4 miles, and the pain is almost gone.

So, apparently we have to change our shoes every 4-6 months.  More expense to this sport, damn!

Good Luck!

2005-03-10 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
In my athletic training experience, I would say you are experiencing patella femoral pain syndrome. Occurs when you push to hard and your knee is not strong enough. I suggest strenghting for your VMO. To do this you need to conentrate on the last 15 to 20 degrees of knee extension. Also, I would only increase your mileage by about 10% a week.
2005-03-14 8:42 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I have had pain just below my knee for about 8 months now (patellar tendonistis) and after 3 Orthopaedic Surgeons, over 5 months of rest, and 5 weeks of PT, it is STILL not better. Please warm up, stretch, run in good running shoes, strenthen your legs, and watch the hills, especially going downhill.

Also, the runner's/jumper's knee strap works to relieve some of the pain but will definately not cure it. You should really get the kind that is more like a large rubberband with straps vs. the kind that is just a band with straps.

By me not following my own it advice has put a complete halt to my training and I think I have actually blown the entire season, if not longer, by not listening to my body.

Be careful.

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2005-03-14 8:45 PM

2005-03-21 10:43 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I came upon this thread by a search. My knee's been nagging me lately, yesterday, when I went for a run, it felt like my kneecap was gonna fall off and hit the sidewalk!  After about half a mile, I was fine.  Guess I wasn't warmed up or stretched out properly.   No, no big increases in speed or mileage recently.   This past week I avoided the stairs at work, which was very unusual for me. 

I did more searching and came up with this, which describes me perfectly....

http://www.footsmart.com/HealthCondition.aspx?ailmentId=90

I remember when I went for my bike fitting, he noticed that one of my legs was slightly longer than the other (well, figures, had an injury at age 18) and he put spacers on one of the bike shoes to make up for it.  Now Im wondering if orthotics in my running shoes would help.   Maybe for now I should do the rubber band thingie and RICE for a while so I don't injure myself, my season opener is coming up verrrry quickly....... 

2005-03-22 5:57 PM

New user

I recently went to the campus sports doctor regarding some knee pain. They performed Muscle Energy technique on my hips to correct posterior slip and gave me a few more stretches to try out, since then, I went running once, The pain was still there, but its getting better, in the mean-time, Ive just been swimming like a fish trying to keep up my cardio. It didnt start bothering me until I jumped my mileage from about 40 miles a week, to about 70 miles a week over a period of about a month and a half. Good luck w/ it Bones
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's Knee???? Rss Feed