cooltri
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 29m
Overall Rank = 276/320
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. Left hotel by 5:15, arrived at transition area by 5:30. Ate a Cliff bar on the way there.
Event warmup:

Nothing special.
Swim
  • 33m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam well. Did a flying race start off the pier. Age group was STACKED. Finished 40th overall in swim, but was 10th in my age group. But my goal was to be in the top ten in my group, so I can't gripe. I was worried that by being in the last heat that I would have to pick my way through the slow swimmers in the heats ahead, but that proved not to be an issue.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Swam straight, hugging the inside lane. LOTS of beautiful, OPEN water. For some reason, most of the swimmers choose to swim farther out...the only that would have made me swim better was if I was in better condition.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Really took my time. Chatted with my Sister who was across the fence as I prepped myself - and still posted a good time.

Not much.
Bike
  • 3h 30m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure exactly what my split was...website doesn't have a time for me. hmm...

My best guess is that I did the 56 miles in 3:30-3:40 range. The first 40 miles I took it easy because I wanted to leave something in the tank for the run. I was feeling good at mile 40, so I decided to start mashing the pedals on the remaing hills.

I needed to bike more. 56 is NOT a comfortable distance for me. Heck, the most I rode before race day had been 45 miles, plus the rides I did do were often under 30 miles. However, I did hit the time I wanted too, and I did finish the bike, which I was a bit worried about.

I also should keep things in perspective. I've raised my bike mph from 16 to 20 in two years (sprints and olys).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 2h 30m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good coming off the bike and thought I was ready for the run. In the previous tri's I've done this year, I felt a bit sore coming off the bike but the discomfort quickly dissipated after a mile or so...where upon I ran faster and faster. This race, though, I felt a bit sore, but DIDN'T feel like I had the legs to run sub 8 or sub 9 minute miles. I averaged around 9 minute miles for the first 4...then I began walking through the water stations. By mile nine, my walks were getting longer.
Post race
Warm down:

A nice cold towel. gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike. For one, my bike time was slow (but, again, I expected that)...but more importantly my poor bike conditioning sapped me of my running power...something I FAILED to foresee. I have no other explaination why I bonked so horribly on the run. Especially considering how well I felt - and did - in the run portion for the past two oly's I competed in. I just didn't FEEL like I could run fast...I felt great mentally...but the legs just didn't respond.

I doubt the run distance was an issue either, because I had been doing double digit long runs (10,13,15) for the past month and still had the rements of my marathon training from a few months back. Perhaps, I should've done some hard bricks...

If I commit myself to the bike over the winter and next Spring, I see no reason why I wouldn't have a HUGE time drop (not just for the bike portion, but also because it effects the run) in the 1/2. The problem is I love running and swimming and that leaves little time for me to work on weakness. And invariably when I work-out so much I suffer from burn-out...something which I've struggled with the past few weeks.

I also think I can swim faster with another year of club swimming and if I decide to spend the coin and get a wetsuit.

Event comments:

Race was run very well. Water stations during the run segment had many volunteers. For every 10 miles on the bike there was an aid station that provided a plethora of items: 20oz gatorades, energy gel, bananas, energy bars and bottles of water.

Lone gripe was that the post race food was Pizza Hut pizza. Would've liked to have seen some fruit, bagels, and such. They did have a nice massage/aid tent available. Unfortunately, that tent was for the most part the only shaded area available in the park - which was mostly just beach front.

Last updated: 2004-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/320
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo!
Course: Horizontal. Followed the coast. Hardly any waves on the Big Lake. Pier start - which was way cool.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:30:00 | 56 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Well, the course was long. Some of the roads were a little rough, and most of the second half of the ride was on a boring, and longish, freeway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Just guessing on time...I think my time is not posted because I pulled my socks over the gizmo. Nice.
Course: Hilly. Especially the opening miles. Plus, there were many bridges through out the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-04 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: Steelhead Tri

2004-08-04 3:31 PM
in reply to: #43657

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Steelhead Tri
Great job...I have been waiting to see this report...looks like you and Gary finished real close to each other...and right about where I figure to finish in lansing...look like some lessons learned for next time...and we will be able to compare steelhead vs. lansing to find the best one for next year, although sounds like steelhead pretty well run. Congratulations again...way to go..

d
2004-08-04 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Yup, looks like you and Gary were neck and neck. (o:

Despite your inadequate training, looks like you had a good race, and now you have your PR, and are ready to go for your next one!!

Congrats!

Dana
2004-08-04 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Well thanks alot Greg!!!!!!!!!! lol You cost me 50 places!!!!!!!

When I looked at the race results I was 227 out of 320 and had seen that you were 226 out of 320. As I looked at your race report I see you put 276??? Huh? So, I go back and check the results :-O I was 227 of males, 277 overall. Crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to correct my race report - anyone know? I promise - I was not intentionally trying to be a fraud.

Anyway Greg, It was nice meetin you and your sis. Congrats on finishing the race - AWESOME swim time - do you do any coaching of aging, wannabe triathletes??? I didn't get my bike time because of my chip incident. Maybe you forgot yours too?

See ya around - keep training for that Ironman - if I can do it (well try to do it) so can you!!

/Gary
2004-08-05 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

I think my chip didn't work because it was tucked under my sock...that's my theory.

I treated the 1/2 ironman like my first marathon: the goal was too simply finish. I accomplished that. Now I need to get better. But it's going to be a while.

I'm fairly certain that this was my last tri of the season, need to recharge my batteries...I've got a couple runs scheduled next: a date in Hell in a few weeks and the Detroit Marathon in October before I begin swim club/ masters competition for the winter.

If anyone has ANY questions regarding ANY aspect of swimming - technique, interval work, general concerns - drop me a line. I LOVE to talk swimming.

2004-08-05 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Greg...is your date in Hell the DWD?...are you going team or solo...Looking forward to that day almost more than anything this year...We are the "S" factor...let me know if you will be there...have never been so I don't know how easy it is to see other teams...

d

2004-08-05 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
No, I'm not doing Dances With Dirt (I know several teams AND individuals (those crazy ultra people) who are, though).

I'm doing the 10 mile, Run Thru Hell. I'd like to do DWD at some point, though...I thought about entering this year, but when I looked into registering I found out that the race filled up in a matter of hours.
2004-08-05 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Greg,

If I don't do the Lansing Tri, I think I'm going to Hell (lol) also. I did it a few years ago - VERY hilly!
2004-08-05 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
I encourage you to make the trip down to Hell. =)

My sister and I are both going to do it.

And yeah, I've heard the 10 mile course is pretty rough. The roads are gravel and paved, right?
2004-08-05 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I don't remember gravel roads - there were dirt roads and paved - roads were fine. Other than they were tilted UP!

Traffic was a problem - be sure and get there plenty early.
2004-08-05 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
actually the race filled up on feb 28...had to do a six mile run in the snow, just to get the privilege of signing up...and it filled that day...crazy...sounds like we have a pretty decent start on a team next year, just in here...you, gary, myself, my wife would kill me if she couldn't do it (pregnant this year so I had to leave her off the team)...80% there already...whaddya think

d

2004-08-05 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race! Way to go! Fabulous swim split!

Kelly
2004-08-05 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Daryll - I was thinking the same thing about DWD and was going to float the notion about getting a team together, but you beat me to it!

Needless to say, I'm VERY interested.

Good luck in Lansing. And trust me...take the first few miles of the run at a RELAXED pace.
2004-08-06 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
OK...sounds great...I will let you know all about the race, on Sept 12...and we can get started on next years... :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelhead Tri Rss Feed