General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My FIRST swim session tomorrow!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-17 12:24 AM

User image

Regular
Sydney
Subject: My FIRST swim session tomorrow!!!
Ok, so tomorrow is my first official day of my program....and I have to SWIM!!!

I am really nervous about that. I haven't swam laps since school (a good 10 years ago) and i'm meeting the group of runners I run with each Saturday that are all pretty good (I mean they have finished at least 1 triathlon each so they must be able to swim properly!). Straight after the swim session (1hr) we run for 45 mins which is what I have usually just done with them, but now i'm a part of the "tri swim squad" - how cool will that be! I just have to get in the pool........

Tracie (My trainer) last night said not to worry, however I can't help it. She said to use fins for my first couple of sessions maybe so I can get through drills and just focus on my technique without getting too tired. Eeeek!

Oh well. I guess I have to just suck it up, bite the bullet, go for it, and get over my fear and just get this first awkward session (because I know it will be) over with so I can keep up my 3x week swims for the next 14 weeks!

It can only get better!

Janine

2006-11-17 12:38 AM
in reply to: #601871

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: My FIRST swim session tomorrow!!!
...now i'm a part of the "tri swim squad" - how cool...

This is what you should focus on.

You will be fine. It will all come back to you when you 'hit' the water.
Let us know how you get on.
2006-11-17 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Just be ready for that first practice...

Don't forget the swimsuit

Work on your goggle fit, adjust straps and the nosepiece so their comfortable and don't leak.

Do whatever you can during the workout. If the group is doing 10x50's and you need more recovery, do 5x50 and don't worry about the other 5.

keep smiling!

2006-11-17 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
You'll do great! Teach them a lesson or two on the swim and run!
2006-11-17 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Janine - 2006-11-17 1:24 AM

I'm meeting the group of runners I run with each Saturday that are all pretty good (I mean they have finished at least 1 triathlon each so they must be able to swim properly!).

I wouldn't assume that.
2006-11-17 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Sydney
It wasn't that bad!

I did most of the sets, I probably sat out about 4 in total (like we did 8x50's and I only did 6, and in the warm up I sat out of a couple). But then I did the run group straight after (with 10 minutes to spare) and that is when I really felt it.

My legs definitely felt a little heavier during the run after the swim, and also I guess because I was swimming for an hour, I had a GU straight out of the pool with water so while I was running my stomach felt a little funny.

We actually did a time trial (7.2kms) that we did 4 weeks ago initially again today, but I was slower by 9 seconds today. I am using the excuse that I swam before hand, so I guess that is a pretty good time, hell its only 9 seconds.

Hopefully I'll get used to doing brick workouts like that.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I borrowed my partner's goggles this morning, so today as a treat I went out and bought new goggles, cap and a mesh fin bag.

The best thing about it was all the girls said "See you on Tuesday!" and that really made me feel great about it. There were 2 girls there that only did 2 more sessions before me, so we shared a lane which was good, having a laugh when the coach said "50 easy, 50 hard on the way back" LOL - it was all hard to me!

Janine

2006-11-17 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
great job! keep that feeling in mind when the next challenge comes up!
2006-11-18 6:14 AM
in reply to: #602800

User image

Master
brummie land

Janine - 2006-11-18 3:00 AM It wasn't that bad! I did most of the sets, I probably sat out about 4 in total (like we did 8x50's and I only did 6, and in the warm up I sat out of a couple). But then I did the run group straight after (with 10 minutes to spare) and that is when I really felt it. My legs definitely felt a little heavier during the run after the swim, and also I guess because I was swimming for an hour, I had a GU straight out of the pool with water so while I was running my stomach felt a little funny. We actually did a time trial (7.2kms) that we did 4 weeks ago initially again today, but I was slower by 9 seconds today. I am using the excuse that I swam before hand, so I guess that is a pretty good time, hell its only 9 seconds. Hopefully I'll get used to doing brick workouts like that. Thanks for everyone's advice! I borrowed my partner's goggles this morning, so today as a treat I went out and bought new goggles, cap and a mesh fin bag. The best thing about it was all the girls said "See you on Tuesday!" and that really made me feel great about it. There were 2 girls there that only did 2 more sessions before me, so we shared a lane which was good, having a laugh when the coach said "50 easy, 50 hard on the way back" LOL - it was all hard to me! Janine

fantastic news! i love swim sets when the coach says something like the above and all you laugh!

btw i'm doing an aquathlon in december and concur that swim/run bricks are evil. much more so than bike/run ones imho.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My FIRST swim session tomorrow!!! Rss Feed