UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-11-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #606110

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: UK BTers...how many of us are there out there?

So far I'm doing the Eton Sprint (may 20th), Crystal Palace sprint (may 27th), Windsor Olympic (June 10th) and London Olympic (August 4th).  Be nice to fit in some other events too - I'll definately have some of these Thames turbo jobbies.

Time to get an afternoon kip so I can get up early and watch us smack Aussie backsides (we're going to get hammerred!!)

2006-11-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #606120

User image

Master
brummie land
Cando - 2006-11-22 2:38 PM

Time to get an afternoon kip so I can get up early and watch us smack Aussie backsides (we're going to get hammerred!!)

SACRILEGE BAN THE BOY!!!! we are not, i repeat NOT going to get hammered! we are gonna kick those convict arses left right and centre! just putting my barmy army top on from when i was at the brissie test 4 years ago....thank feck hussian isn't captain this time round!

BARMY ARMY BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!

p.s. only 6 hours 20 minutes left!

Edited by sappho96 2006-11-22 11:40 AM
2006-12-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #603913

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-06 5:44 AM

Milton Keynes
Hi there

I'm another UK BTer based in Nottingham but haven't been very active on the forums up til now as i've been writing up a PhD.

Tony
2006-12-20 10:08 AM

London
Hi all,

Ups, I didn’t realise that the UK had its own special section – waves…
Thanks Chris for pointing me in the right direction. I have just signed up for the mentoring scheme and will be downloading a train schedule shortly .

Any recommendations for good beginner sprints and Olympic distance tris in the UK? I am strongest on a bike (years of commuting in London – yes, I am one of those insane people that everybody hates and frequently attempts to kill). I’m still getting the hang of running, just not a natural…

I'm noticing the gender discrepancy; are there really no women on this board?
2006-12-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: #628942

2006-12-21 3:11 AM
in reply to: #628942

Expert
London, UK
Hej Stine.

Med dit navn og 'username' må du da være Dansker. Glædelig Jul! Jeg fortsætter på Engelsk så de andre også kan være med.

How about that 2 Brittified Danes in the UK BT group. I could have got some good odds on that. (About the same as England winning a test during this Ashes series!.....Sorry Sappho.).

Welcome to the group.

In terms of good beginner events I'm doing at least one of the 'Thames Turbo' sprints next year. All the info is here: http://www.thamesturbo.co.uk/memberforum/portal.php

I have a similar background to you. Basically commuting on my bicycle and definitely NOT a 'natural' runner. I have been doing the 'Aggressive Couch to 5K' running program from the site and it is working out well.

Sorry about the gender discrepancy. A lot of male triathletes shave their legs though. Don't know if that helps?

Jens

2006-12-21 11:50 AM

Regular
Pembroke, Wales, UK

from Little England beyond Wales
[bottom left-hand corner]
[very close to where the Sea-Empress spilt it's oil 10 11 years ago
the beaches are clean now]

I don't post very often
I only have time today 'cos I'm off work 'icky

my main aim is to be consistent - hah!

2006-12-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: #629971

London
Jens - 2006-12-21 9:11 AM

Hej Stine.

Med dit navn og 'username' må du da være Dansker. Glædelig Jul! Jeg fortsætter på Engelsk så de andre også kan være med.

Tak, Jens - skal du blive i England over julen?
well-spotted, with a name like Stine it is pretty hard to hide the Scandinavian background

How about that 2 Brittified Danes in the UK BT group. I could have got some good odds on that. (About the same as England winning a test during this Ashes series!.....Sorry Sappho.).

Actually I'd say the odds of two Danes in the group are probably better than England winning the ashes (attack of the dry sense of humour)

Sorry about the gender discrepancy. A lot of male triathletes shave their legs though. Don't know if that helps?

hey I'm not complaining about the discrepancy just remarking upon it.
I've noticed the tendency to shave - actually some London cyclists do the same, not complaining about that either...

Edited by BikegirlDK 2006-12-22 9:49 AM
2006-12-27 9:30 AM

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
Hey guys, another Brit just joined the site.

I live in Hemel Hempstead(just north of London on the map).

Decided yesterday to get my arse out of the PC chair and back into training, I set myself a goal of competing in a standard distance Triathlonby Sept/Oct 2007.

Hope to contribute to the site and increase my post count.

Glenn.
2006-12-30 4:49 AM

New user

Bradford, England
Hi all,

I have harboured dreams of doing a tri for a few years now, was up late watching triathlons (no idea which one) and thought i would love to do that!!

Well i have discovered of course that the reality is much harder than the dream and stumbled upon this site looking for inspiration. I am in week 4 of Michael Pates Total Sprint - i should really be in week 6 by now but christmas got the better of me

I'm looking to do a sprint tri in late summer next year so i can take training slowly, building up the miles as I have no background in any of the 3 disiplines. i hope to then continue onto london 2008!

I'd love to know if anyone is doing any tris near me as this year i'd like to actually go an watch some tris so i know what to expect!

2006-12-31 11:09 AM

2007-01-07 2:15 PM

Andrews AFB
Hi ya!

I'm a Texas girl but have been living in London for a year and a half and am pretty new to this whole tri thing so I would LOVE any support I can get. I've registered for the Blenheim Tri in June and am thinking about doing the sprint distance for the London Tri in August. I have a long long long way to go but am really excited about it. My current thing is looking for a bike. I'm planning to just get a used one for this first tri but I'm quite short (5') so it's a bit of a challenge to find something that is suitable. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!! Thanks!

Angela
2007-01-08 9:19 AM

New user

nuneaton
hi folks,

just registered today, looking to do two sprints this year if the body holds together.
the bike and run i think will be ok, by ok i mean i might finish before dusk, but to be honest the swim scares the life out of me.
just started the swim training and it is horrendous.someone please tell me it gets better
2007-01-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: #645378

Expert
London, UK
Subject: ---
oops duff post!

Edited by Jens 2007-01-08 9:35 AM
2007-01-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #645378

Expert
London, UK
Hi Angela

Great to have another Londoner on BT even if you're from Texas

Do you ride your bike like Lance?

Now there are 3 jolly foreign Londoners in the UK group. This city sure is a melting pot.

Start logging your workouts. It's a great way to stay on track for your goal and we can spy on you and make sure you're not slacking.

As for a bike. You will probably find it difficult to find a used bike in you size but there are lots of sales on at the moment. Try places like Evans, Cycle Surgery, Sigma Sport or DeVer. It's worth spending a little extra and getting a bike that fits you like a glove. Something like a Spezialised Allez should be around £450-500 in the sales and that's a great bike for the money. Good luck.

Jens

Edited by Jens 2007-01-08 9:51 AM

2007-01-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: #645961

Expert
London, UK
Panatella Slim - 2007-01-08 3:19 PM

hi folks,

just registered today, looking to do two sprints this year if the body holds together.
the bike and run i think will be ok, by ok i mean i might finish before dusk, but to be honest the swim scares the life out of me.
just started the swim training and it is horrendous.someone please tell me it gets better

Welcome to you.

You will find lots of advice and inspiration here.

I'm sure your swim will improve quickly as long as you keep on practising. Might be worth taking some lessons if any are available at your pool. Also make sure your first 'race' is one with a pool swim. I'm a beginner myself but from reading race reports on the site open water swimming in a big pile of people is a bit of an ordeal.

Good luck with your training.

Jens
2007-01-08 10:55 AM

New user

nuneaton
cheers jens,good advice.

i have applied for a sprint in stratford in may , which luckily happens to be a pool swim.

lessons sounds a good idea , my stroke could do with some work.
2007-01-08 11:11 AM
in reply to: #645961

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
Panatella Slim - 2007-01-08 3:19 PM

hi folks,

It gets better.

To be honest I'd underestimated how much technique I'd forgotten, I shall definitely be getting some swimming coaching.
2007-01-10 10:15 AM

Hi folks!

Just getting my lardy backside into Triathlons, am hoping to compete(finish) in the Eton Super Sprints in mid-May.

I'm a 32 year old, 6'4" 16 and a half stone salesman from Hertfordshire, although I work (& train) in the City.

Just finishing my first full triathlon training day, complete with blisters and sore legs...

Have a lot of on/off experience with weight training, but have always been a bit of a cardio-phobe...

anyways, hi everybody!
2007-01-10 11:42 AM

New user

nuneaton
hi craig , welcome to the pain

what plan are you following?

and what equipment are you using , purchasing?

it has got to the stage where i need to invest, anybody out there with some advice?

i have started a new thread regarding equipment.

Edited by Panatella Slim 2007-01-10 11:47 AM

2007-01-11 7:38 AM

Reading, UK

Afternoon

I'm based in Reading (and am also female - so there are a few of us!).  It was my first year in tri last year, I did 4 including the Olympic distance in London which was great.  I'm planning to do the Hungerford Fast Twitch on 1st April and Lymington on the 29th April this year.

The spanner in my works as far as triathlon goes is that I'm off to Singapore in mid-May for a 3 month work secondment.  Very exciting, but the timing isn't great!  I'm not sure what training facilities I'll have access to over there, but I'm hoping to squeeze in another couple of races towards the end of the year.

Liz

2007-01-11 9:43 AM
in reply to: #649208

Panatella Slim - 2007-01-10 11:42 AM

hi craig , welcome to the pain

what plan are you following?

and what equipment are you using , purchasing?

it has got to the stage where i need to invest, anybody out there with some advice?

i have started a new thread regarding equipment.

Hi Panatella,

Thanks for the welcome. When I say I started yesterday, I mean I really started yesterday! My brother (glennbb) got started here just before the New Year and is enjoying success with the 'couch to tri in 12 weeks' plan but I haven't decided on mine yet. First off I want to gauge my starting point then work out how much work I have to do to not die in May at these Super Sprints

I plan on seeing my current capabilities in all three events, I was running yesterday and plan on testing my cycling tomorrow, and my swimming over the weekend... Then I can devise or follow a plan from next week.

My purchases so far have been a fantastic pair of running shoes (The Brooks 'Beast') which I was fitted for in 'City of London Runner'(Ludgate Hill, near St. Pauls - I recommend them highly), where they deduced that with my flat feet I needed serious motion control, and I tried four different pairs before deciding on the Beast...

• ..and since yesterday I have now purchased 2 pairs of anti-blister socks and an arm wallet for my iPod...

• Wetsuit-wise I plan on hiring one for my first Tri, same with the racing bike. I have a decent mountain bike for training, but it's too heavy to compete on.

what plan are you following? Do you intend entering (or have you entered) any races soon?

Edited by craigberry 2007-01-11 9:44 AM
    2007-01-11 10:29 AM

New user

nuneaton
    looking at straford on avon in may , and market bosworth in july. both local.

after that, if i am still alive i am not sure.

quite fancy the london ones if i can do the saturday?i used to live there and it would mean a chance to catch up on saturday night, strictly isotonic drinks of course.

in fact , if you trained for a triathlon with a female trainig partner, but you were just good friends, would that be an isotonic relationship

same here on the equipment, fitted for trainers at lorraine baker running in coventry, still riding my mountain bike, and fitted for water wings at the local swimming pool.
    my first sprint uses an indoor pool , which is a bonus.
    2007-01-29 8:13 AM

New user

Manchester
    Hi Everyone,

Just recently joined and training fo London Tri-athlon in August.

Will be my first & i'm down for the Olympic distance (Fool).

Any Mancs out there (i'm not actually a Manc, from a town called Rochdale or sh*thole as i like to call it) & anyone else going to be in London in August.

Mike
    New Thread
    UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  

of 7