General Discussion Race Reports! » California Academy of Sciences Run Wild Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

California Academy of Sciences Run Wild - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My mom has never done anything physical/athletic, but back in June she began working with a trainer 4x a week. She has lost weight and has started to see that she can push herself to new limits. Due to her hip problems she can not run, but has been lifting weights and walking.

To keep her motivated through the east coast winter I told her we were going to do a local 5k when she came out to California over the Thanksgiving holiday. Turns out the race fell on her 58th birthday. My sister-in-law (Sheri) agreed to join us and we thought it would be great to expose my niece to the race as well.

Woke up mom and Maddie (4-year-old niece) and headed into SF to pick up Sheri (sister-in-law). Headed over to Golden Gate Park.
Event warmup:

Getting my niece out of the back seat of my small 2-door Saab. I guess this is why people with kids have big cars with 4 doors. Then headed over to pick up our race t-shirts. Took pictures of each other and enjoyed the pre-race atmosphere.
Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 20m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

When I registered my family for this race I knew it was going to be a walk rather than a run. For me, the race was not a big deal, but I was out there to see my mom complete her first ever athletic achievement. The first mile was good, we hit mile 1 at 21 minutes and change. On the way to mile 2, mom my said, "how much longer" and I just kept cheering her on telling her she could do it. I Also chased Maddie ahead 10 feet, then she would walk then run about 10 feet. She also was hopping in and out the stroller and I gave her a few piggy back rides. Sheri was doing well, considering she is 10 weeks pregnant with horrible morning sickness. The 4 of us charged on through the race. Eventually we got to the turn toward the finsih line and I saw my mom well up with a few tears, afterall she was about to complete a 5k race, something she never would have thought possible. I kept yelling, "mom you are almost there" and she even pushed herself to a jog! The 4 of us crossed the finish line together in just over an hour. We hugged and I congradulated her. For the rest of the day she kept saying, "I can't believe I did it" I told her then next time I go back east to visit I am going to find another race for us to do together.

Although this was my slowest 5k, seeing my mom cross the finish line made it my best race ever.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was an amazing race!! I am so proud of my mother.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of hugs

Last updated: 2006-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:00 | 03.1 miles | 20m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop course starting in Golden Gate Park, out to the Pandhandle and back into the park again
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-27 5:43 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: California Academy of Sciences Run Wild

2006-11-27 5:48 PM
in reply to: #609383

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: California Academy of Sciences Run Wild
Wow. "Best race ever." Agreed.

Mike
2007-05-01 6:58 AM
in reply to: #609383

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: California Academy of Sciences Run Wild
What an inspiring story!  I think I'll call my mom today and get us signed up for a 5k.  Thanks for the report
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » California Academy of Sciences Run Wild Rss Feed