Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Running in the cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-29 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Subject: Running in the cold

Hey fellow Albertans,

This is my first prairie winter and so far it's a little colder than I expected! I was wondering how many people have been getting outside to run / bike during the past week and at what temperature do you pack it in and train inside? I need some inspiration to get outside and run!!

Shauna

2006-12-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: #611319

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Running in the cold
Hey Shauna

It can take a little getting used to if you are not from here. I have just started really running in the winter this year, so it is a bit of an adjustment. I went out for a run last saturday, when it was -22 and snowing.

It's all about layering up, and keeping every exposed piece of skin covered with something.

I went for a run the other evening when it was -14 and wore 2 pairs of pants (tights and wind proof cycling pants) and on top I had 4 layers - tank top, long sleeve, fleece, wind proof shell. Of course you always need the neck warmer, toque (headband on top for me) and mittens.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any other questions!
2006-12-05 4:37 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Hi Shauna,

The trick is to cover up with enough layers to stay warm but still be able to remove or open up some of those layers as you get warm from running. Like Erin says, cover all skin when its really cold.

One thing I do sometimes when it's cold is to warm up at home on an elliptical machine before I head out. If I'm already warmed up, I don't need to dress quite as warm starting out and my personal temperature doesn't vary as much during the run. Any exercise would work for pre-warming, like a bike on a trainer, or simply running on the spot, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Micawber 2006-12-05 4:42 PM
2006-12-06 4:37 PM

New user

Red Deer
this is also my first winter running in the cold. I run with a friend at work and we did not run when the temp and windchill dipped below -20 a few times I went to an indoor track. It's so much better now that the weather has warmed up. We tend to dress in layers also. I'm here in Red Deer

Edited by taywee 2006-12-06 4:38 PM
2006-12-21 4:00 PM

User image

Calgary
I ran seriously through the winter 2 years ago, even in -30C with blizzard conditions.

I froze my eyelashes together!!

Now I'm more fairweather... I only run outside in -10C or warmer, and run on a treadmill if it's colder.

As mentioned previously, you can run outside in the VERY cold weather if you layer up, I wore a balaklava to keep my face warm, but unfortunately your eyes are exposed somewhat.

Good luck!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Running in the cold Rss Feed