United States
Disney
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 30s
Overall Rank = 4200/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 315/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at an all too early 2:30AM! Thought...this was nuts. We got ready with some breakfast in the room. A cup of yogurt and some Propel. Gathered our gear and folding chairs and headed to meet friends in the lobby. It was warm and dry and we were ready to begin our biggest endurance test to date.
Event warmup:

Warm-up consisted of riding the bus and walking to the corrals. We started in the outer corral and set up camp. JB's idea of the throwaway folding camping chairs was awesome. With a two+ hour wait we were very comfortable instead of lounging on the ground. Later we said goodbye to some of our entourage friends and headed through the tent to the next corral. We were quickly moved from the staging corral to the starting area. Mike was separated from us at this point and me, Deb and Spiderman went onward. This was a pretty long walk in the dark with all others in our wave. We took the chairs and settled in for the rest of our breakfast. Bagels and bananas along w/ more Propel. JB was in his Spidey outfit and drawing attention. Lots of other superheroes were present both female and male. (note: Wonderwoman. WOW!) Here we waited for the start.
Run
  • 2h 24m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan here was to run a slow pace to conserve energy for the next day's marathon. My reason to be here was to complete the Goofy Challenge. I monitored HR data strictly so as not to exceed my LT. I didn't want to end up full of lactic acid and starting in the 'hole' on Sunday. And so it goes. I must admit it was difficult to hold back. It was crowded and with the slower pace I think I felt it a little more in the quads. It was really warm and humid and thankfully the cloud cover kept us cooler until the end. Course was semi-boring and I had to be careful not to let the crowd rev me up and exceed my race strategy. Ran steady and finished under control. It was certainly my slowest solo 1/2 to date. That includes 1/2's at the end of two 1/2 Iron Man events.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I did what I wanted to do. It got boring and at the end I wanted it finished.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my 'Donald' and headed to the Goofy Challenge tent to check in. Afterwards I sat around waiting for Deb, JB and Mike who was walking it. Missed everyone from my sentry position and made it over to the B tent to find people. Deb was camping out for me. The B crowd had just bolted and then Mike showed up. He made the cutoff! Yea! Boarded the bus back to the hotel. On to 'Mickey'.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A scheduled Marathon for the next day.

Event comments:

Course is a bit boring in spots. Volunteers are excellent. Mileage markers are hidden in spots and easy to miss when you get into the theme parks. The early start is just that. Way too early!!!!

Last updated: 2006-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:30 | 13.1 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 315/
Overall: 4200/
Performance: Average
Lost my lap data. The maid threw it out!
Course: Big loop out of start area and over to the Magic Kingdom. Through TomorrowLand and around down Main Street, USA, through the castle and out the back of Frontierland? Backroads down a boring stretch and eventually into Epcot for the finish in front of a nice grandstand area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-08 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

2007-01-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: #647232

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

Hey--I was WonderWoman!  So, given that I was the only one I saw, I am gonna take that "Wow" with a big-a$$ smile and thank you!

For the record, running with a strapless dress on for 13 miles really sucks.  And mylar, polyester, and velour are no good in 85 degree weather with 90 percent humidity!

I think Supergirl and I got our picture taken with Spiderman after the race.  Send me the pics if you have them

2007-01-10 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
she is wow, isn't she? she's more wow once you get to know her.
2007-01-23 1:42 PM

Way to go on your first step to the Goofy. Congrats on the 3 medals!

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed