United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 38s
Overall Rank = 7240/12292
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 654/1175
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:25 - met my friend in the hallway at 3:35. I ate a croissant and a little bit of a blueberry muffin. I knew the muffin wouldn't be great for my stomach, but it was so good!!
Event warmup:

Nothing really - just walking from the bus to the start was enough. We did have to walk back to a medical tent at one point because I had forgotten a band aid for my toe that always gets a blister.
Run
  • 2h 46m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have high expectations for this race - it was really for fun. I was running with my best friend who had never run a race before so my only goal was to stay with her and make sure she finished. We hadn't trained like we should have so we knew we'd be going pretty slowly.

As we waited in the corral all of a sudden I heard loud voices. I don't remember what I heard them say, but something made me turn around and there were Adam (ROBIT79) and Jess (Tri Take Me Away) right behind me! I was hoping to find them, but once I saw how many people were at the start I figured it was a lost cause. It was nice to stand with them while we waited for the start - as you can imagine they kept us laughing. Oh - and Adam taught me how to use my lap timer on my watch - thank you!! It was great to have while we ran, but now I think I lost all the information somehow. :)

The race started with fireworks and we were off. The first few miles were OK. I didn't have mush energy since I had been sick all week. We were keeping about a 12 minute pace which seemed good for us. My friend stopped to use the porta-potty once. I peed in the bushes - much faster!

We finally got to the Magic Kingdom which is so much fun. We stopped to take pictures with about 8 or 9 characters. Mary Poppins & Bert, Toy Story people, Dopey, Peter Pan & Wendy. I guess I'll remember the rest when I get my pictures back!

I had been taking water at every station and Power Aid at every other station. At the end of the Magic Kingdom I had two bites of a banana. This was a big deal - I've never eaten a banana before! I don't like them but I was really losing my energy so I figured I should force it down.

Coming out of the park my friend started to feel a pain in her leg. We pulled to the side to stretch. A little bit later she realized her leg felt better but know her knee hurt. This was somewhere between mile 7-8 I think. From there on we stopped for her to stretch about every half a mile to a mile. We also stopped to get Biofreeze twice. My ITB started to hurt on my right knee. I hadn't felt this before but knew it wasn't good!

The last few miles were a mix of running, walking and stretching. My friend was really hurting. I told her we could walk more but she was so tough and ran as much as she could. I felt OK but not great. I loved running through the parks but I thought the rest of the race was SO boring so that was no help.

We finally got to Epcot and the mile 13 sign. I took a picture of her next to the sign and we kept going. In Epcot there was a bus with a bunch of characters. Ariel was on top of the bus. My kids love her the best and we hadn't seen her yet - I almost asked if I could climb up there for a picture but I settled for Chip (or Dale?) and got back to the race.

We got to the finish and crossed together. I was so proud of my friend and she had a great time despite the pain. She wants to sign up for next year!

The only problem we had was trying to get back to our hotel. We couldn't find any signs for the busses back to the resorts so we walked back to the area where they dropped us off in the morning. Turns out that was the wrong place. To make a long story short - due to bad signs and bad advice from Disney people we ended up taking a monorail, a ferry and a bus to get home. We were so furious! We heard tons of people complaining so apparantly it wasn't just us who had problems getting home.

When we did get back I took a 5 minute shower and rushed to the Magic Kingdom for my daughter's birthday lunch at Cinderella's castle.
What would you do differently?:

Train more
Post race
Warm down:

Walking from race to monorail to ferry to bus....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't train enough (this is a theme in most of my RR's)

Event comments:

The only problem I had with the organization was at the end when there were no clear signs for the busses.

Last updated: 2006-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:46:38 | 13.1 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 654/1175
Overall: 7240/12292
Performance: Average
5K - 38:33 10K - 1:15:54 15K - 1:56:19
Course: Start in a parking lot, go down Disney roads into Magic Kingdom, back along roads into Epcot, back into parking lot
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-09 11:56 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2007-01-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: #647861

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Congrats Amy! And yes, the rule of thumb is listen for the loud obnoxious people and there you will find Tampa BT. I was checking out my splits and the best ones were inside the parks, I know I was feeding off of the adreneline. Keep up the training and we can all do the full next year.

On your watch: Push mode once, you will see CHRONO. Then push teh top left button (Store/Recall) and this should bring up your splits. Find the button with the (+) over it on the screen to scroll through your splits.  If they aren't showing up then they probably weren't saved.

I forgot to save mine after the finish, so I had to work some math with my chip time and take off ten minutes from my last split.

2007-01-09 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
So glad you had a good time Amy!  Sorry I didn't get to see ya though.  Next time!  Congrats on having such an enjoyable race!
2007-01-09 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Wow! You just non-chalantly did a half-marathon. How cool is that!
2007-01-09 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Shame on you!  Not knowing the difference between Chip and Dale.  And you call yourself Momx3?  maybe Momxduh.  I mean-- wait...

YOU RAN A HALF MARY!  WOO WOO! 

2007-01-09 6:33 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Yea, how did we miss each other????? What is up with that?

Congrats on the run

2007-01-09 8:17 PM

User image

Pro
MA

LOL at Possum's comment about "MomXduh"!

Hey Amy, great job.  I know a pace of 12+ min/mile isn't exact fast but I am amazed at the pace with you guys stopping for pictures, to pee (in the bushes!), stretching and walking!  And you were recovering from being sick!  I'm glad you had a great time with your friend.  Well done for her!

And you had never eaten a banana in your life until now?

2007-01-09 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to support your gal pal!  That is an awesome time and an awesome memory for both of you, I am sure!

Congratulations!

2007-01-10 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

You're da bomb!

2007-01-23 1:37 PM

Great race! Sounds like a getting back to your hotel was like a movie Planes, trains,....

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Half Marathon Rss Feed