Kiawah Island, South Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Small expo so packet pick up went quickly. I think I insulted the guy handing out shirts. I said oh we get a bird. He informed me that it was a Heron Egret. {That's gumbo bird for some of my relatives.}

We got up early. Ate a bagel, coke, and a half cliff bar on the way to the race. We had to get water to pour on our frozen car. It was COLD!!!Got to the start, went inside, sat in the hallway, played restroom shuffle.
Event warmup:

Went outside to meet Janelle and other BTers. Bathroom line again.
Run
  • 6h 26m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I was actually worried, terrified, and scared of this race. I should have trained more and I knew it could be bad. If my stomach would have cooperated, everything would have been great. It turned out okay and I had fun.

Mile 1-13:09
Mile 2-13:23
Mile 3-13:40
Mile 4-13:59
Mile 5-13:55
Mile 6-13:06
Mile 7-15:18
Mile 8-14:06
Mile 9-14:10
Mile 10-15:03
Mile 11-14:09
Mile 12-14:26
Mile 13-14:19
Mile 14-15:25
Mile 15-15:20
Mile 16-15:11
Mile 17-15:19
Mile 18-15:42
Mile 19-15:30
Mile 20-15:41
Mile 21-15:35
Mile 22-15:16
Mile 23-16:20
Mile 24-15:24
Mile 25-15:41
Mile 26-15:04
  • 2 I forgot to stop my watch! Total time: 6:26:27

• This race had pretty scenery. The houses were huge, usually 3 storied with porches all around. I was impressed! It was cold, but I got rid of my sweat shirt and gloves at Mile 2. When my hands got cold later, I covered them with my ear warmers. It was weird because sometimes it was hot, then it would get COLD. There must have been wild onion tops in the neighborhoods. I hate onions and I'd get a whiff of them and it'd turn my stomach.

It was a loop and back course so it was crowded at first. BEAR saw me when he passed and said HI! My stomach was in an uproar, so I walked the whole time. I walked quickly at first and slowed down at the end. The first half of the marathon was crowded-I saw the first of the marathoners pass for their ending race. When I turned to do the second loop, it was empty. I had a old lady in front of me and a couple behind me. I talked to them and enjoyed the company, but we traveled only a little while together. It was while I was on the second loop that I decided to do the Mardi Gras Whole, I've never done a marathon in Louisiana.

Many people were on bikes and encouraged me along the way. The EMT bikers just passed by. There were some spectators and many quiet spots. They were picking up water stops 5 hours after the race started. Some stops had left cups of water, you just had to make sure you didn't drink too many leaves.

BEAR called when he finished and said they were running out of food. He offered to take me to Burger King for a 'greasy grimy whopper and a chocolate milkshake.' :):):) He did save me some brownies.

At Mile 24, I wanted to do like our dog Wrinkles. She walks a mile with me then sits on her haunches and stops dry. But, I continued on-Bear came meet me at the last mile. It was great to see him.

What would you do differently?:

Train more.
    Post race
    Warm down:

The race volunteers had moved the food to a smaller side room. I went get bananas, brownie, and water with BEAR. Then we took a trip to Burger King for a Whopper and a chocolate shake.

Went sit in the hotel pool with a sweatshirt on while reading real estate catalogs. The water was freezing. My toes were frozen but the water felt great on my legs. No stiffness Sunday, so it worked!

We had a good time sight seeing. It was a good trip!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach in a roar, need to train more!!!

Last updated: 2006-12-15 12:00 AM
    Running
    06:26:27 | 26.2 miles | 14m 45s  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/
    Overall: 0/
    Performance: Below average
    Course: Double Looped in a beautiful neighborhood!
    Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 3
    Physical exertion [1-5]
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2007-01-20 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Subject: Kiawah Island Marathon

2007-01-20 10:10 PM
    in reply to: #661795

Master
    Charlotte, NC
    Subject: RE: Kiawah Island Marathon

Congrats!!!  You finished! 

Sounds like Bear was looking out for you and now I'm hungry for burger king....

Hope you got to visit Charleston while you were there. Great city.  And yes, those island houses are nuts.  Perhaps you found one to buy in your magazines? 

2007-01-21 3:40 PM
    in reply to: #661795

Veteran
    Columbus, Ohio
    Subject: RE: Kiawah Island Marathon
    Nothing like burger king after a long race.  Great job not doing like Wrinkles.  
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Marathon Rss Feed