General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix - Manhattan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix - Manhattan - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New York, New York
United States
New York Road Runners
22F / -6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 7s
Overall Rank = 3733/
Age Group = 37-39
Age Group Rank = 920/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00AM, drove to the garage. Picked up a banana on the way to the #6, to the 86th station. Ran to the porta-potty and stretched a bit there.
Event warmup:

Does peeing count? As soon as I was out of the porta-potty, they were off.
Run
  • 2h 16m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

START - Managed to pick the pace that felt right without being influenced like last time at the NYC 1/2.

5mi - Started feeling that pain on Rt foot, where chin meets foot (shin splints?)

7mi - Starting to feel hungry. That banana was used up by now. Took a Carboom. Starting to feel cold again.

8mi - Stopped right after water station to stretch a bit. Almost pulled the Rt achilles too much. Had to start running to keep warm & to make pains go away.

10mi - Staring to feel Lft ITB bugging but still fine (I know it's going to be a bear for the next 24hr).

9mi - Cat hill almost did me in. Started walking just before the summit so I can keep energy for what was left.
Some poor guy was using me as a marker. He would run (literally dragging his feet), for about 20', then walk another 20. This sight of torture went on for about 1/2mi until he would not run anymore (he was wheezing heavily). Very surprised since he looked like he is in far better shape than I am. He's actually ripped & lean.

12mi - Ran more than I thought I would at this point. Learning more about digging deep. Let's see if I can pick up the pace for the last mile.

12.5mi - Slowed down from about 8.5min/mi I started at 12 cause my Lft. calf wanted to cramp up.

13mi - I feel like a battled-beaten airplane coming in on one wing & puffing smoke from it's engines (am I in pain here). WHERE THE HELL IS THAT FINISH LINE??

FINISH - Was so out of it, I gave the chip collector the wrong foot and looked at him while wondering "Gee, is this guy really lazy" DOH!! :(
We had a laugh & I proceeded to shrink at bit.
What would you do differently?:

Train like I should & eat better pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate an apple & drank gatorade. Started stretching just before making my way out the park on the West side to catch the A on 97th. Stretched while waiting for the train.
By the time I took a shower (about 2hr later), I was still below my normal 230, at 296. This after I had an apple & gatorade at the finish, hot chocolate at the garage & a slice of pizza as soon as I got home. I wonder if the cold kept me from thinking I was not that thirsty. However, after my system warmed up & took a shower, my thirst exploded & was craving for a hearty meal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Not running as consistent as I need to
- Need to keep mileage up with more volume
- Lack of feeling thirsty when my system needed more water (should've drank gatorade that I was avoiding). Was probably more thirsty than I thought since it really didn't hit me until 2hr after I got home with lots of weight loss.
- Need to eat better before a race. A banana can only go so far.

Event comments:

I still had fun here, even found myself talking with some people at around mile 10. I guess I have more cardio in me that I thought. Physically, I need to take better care or risk long term injury again.
I'm not in as bad shape as I was for the last 1/2 but certainly need to improve more. I'm anxious to see what happens for the Bronx 1/2, even more for the NYC 1/2 on Aug 5. It can only get better from here. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 920/
Overall: 3733/
Performance: Average
Course: Race start 8:30AM 2+ loop, counter clock in central park (rolling hills). Start on the East Drive at 84th Street, heading north, complete 2 loops. On the second lap, runners turn onto the 102nd St Transverse to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-21 10:41 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix - Manhattan

2007-01-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: #662827

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan
Nice race!  Keep up with the training and I'm sure you'll see some more nice improvements this season.
2007-01-22 10:40 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Nice job on your race.  Put in some more miles for sure before the Bronx and i'm sure you can make your sub 2 goal.  Make sure to stretch too!  I want you have a good 2007 season.
2007-01-23 10:24 AM

User image

, Hawaii
Great job on your race and gutting out the last few miles. Good or bad, we always remember the last few miles and use it as a source of inspiration in future races.
2007-01-24 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Great job fighting through the pain/hunger/thirst and getting it done! 

2007-01-25 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good Job!

-Frank

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix - Manhattan Rss Feed