Triahtlon Club of the Palm Beaches
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 14s
Overall Rank = 26/29
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15. Drank water, doubleshot and red bull. Got dressed and drove to race. No problem getting setup and we had registered day before, so much easier this time. Had a red bull about 30' before start and gel about 15' before start. MEssed up here because didn't have water to wash it down with. After the salt water on the swim, felt like hurling first part of bike.
Event warmup:

some stretchintg and walking. Short swim in ocean.
Swim
  • 13m 47s
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time with tri top, so got to wear HR strap during swim. About half way got out of breath again. I felt like I was going at a controlled pace and was back of wave, so not going too hard. Look at watch and HR is 165. No wonder I am out of breath. I am out of breath! I've got to figure this part out! It is messing up rest of race. It took half of first loop on bike to get HR back down. Navigation ok for most part, but twice rescuers had to yell at me because I was swimming straight out to sea :-) Rounded buouys good. Biggest thing was didn't get passed by other waves this time! Elite women right behind me so was expecting some of them to pass me.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out high HR on swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

T1 went much better than last 2 races since had tri top on. Coiuld have went a little faster, but HR was so high. At top of stairs from run u pbeach HR was 176, so didn't rush it.

I just got my tri shoes in today, so might try the shoes already on the bike trick next race.
Bike
  • 41m 30s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to average 20mph on bike, but had head wind going out of T1 and HR was already high. Had to let it come down some. Second loop I averaged 18 going out and 23-25 coming back! Passed a number of people on that last half loop. Would have been able to do it with average HR to start. Alos during second loop it felt like my rear tire was going flat. I could feel the valve stem bump. I even stopped to check it and it was fine. Maybe something was rubbing or something. It went away in a couple mins. Not sure what happened, but when got home, my front tire was flat. MAybe slow leak there? Was nauseous first loop from gel and salt water. Didn't drink as much as normal, but I don't think it hurt me. I also didn't have any gels on the bike.

Lower HR from swim :-) Have I mentioned this yet :-) :-)
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Long transistion. Time includes run with bike. Felt moved very good and even remembered race belt!

With new tri shoes, learn to get out of bike shoes on bike.
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't actually go for it as planned, but ran the run instead of all the walking needed in last 2 races. Paced much better. I really wanted to break 30mins. At the 2m mark I picked up pace some, but really got out of breath and had to slow a little. I cam around corner towards finish with 1:28+ and I didn't see the finish get discouraged because didn't think would break 1:30. Went around next corner and saw finish about 200y away. I actually half sprinted the rest of this distance and passed about 4 people. I just wanted to break 1:30 not pass these people. When got to last person, I check to see if could pass and finish well ahead so would mess up the finish photo and was able to get out of their way.

Push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Got bottle of water and walked some. The got a muffin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

aerobic engine! I wasn't even sore. I felt like I could have gone much longer at same pace

Event comments:

Great race! One thing was I didn't realize they had a mini-clyde division (185-199). I would have placed second in that category. Oh well, there were only 3 comptetitors anyways, but would have been nice to place since I might not ever get that chance again.

My nephew was doign the kids tri and he didn't start to 11:30. Was supposed to start at 10am. Only complaint from race. My race was great. Just too long wait for kids and no real food while waiting. HAd 6 pieces pizza finally at 1:30pm after finishing race at 8:30 and waiting around in hear forever. Volunteers were great, well organized and great course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:47 | 700 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 21/29
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 155 Max HR 167. Time includes 100y run up beach and up stairs. Actual swim out of water was 12:21
Suit: tri shorts and tri top
Course: beach start, out past breakers and up beach with current and back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:30 | 13 miles | 18.80 mile/hr
Overall: 20/29
Performance: Good
Avg HR 162 Max HR 168.
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course along ocean rode.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:52 | 03.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 25/29
Performance: Average
avg HR 170 Max HR 185
Course: Out and back with 2 very small hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-16 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: Loggerhead Triathlon

2004-08-16 11:52 AM
in reply to: #48326

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon
Awesome job!  You did great!  maybe your high HR on the swim was due to the high current?
2004-08-16 11:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Great job Cameron.  You are getting pretty good at these things we do.  Your swim time is looking better even though your HR was high.  Do you think it may be anxiety of the race that causes it to go so high?  Also I can't imagine the salt water, it makes me gag every time I get in it and I have only played around in it, never swam.  Awesome beating your goal, congrats.
2004-08-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #48402

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Rio - 2004-08-16 11:52 AM Great job Cameron.  You are getting pretty good at these things we do.  Your swim time is looking better even though your HR was high.  Do you think it may be anxiety of the race that causes it to go so high?  Also I can't imagine the salt water, it makes me gag every time I get in it and I have only played around in it, never swam.  Awesome beating your goal, congrats.

Thanks guys! I can't blame it on the current since we went with the current :-) I was calm before race start (105 HR). I did have more caffeine (red bull and gel) than normal plus with the large waves going out, maybe I am kicking a lot more or something. I will have to be more aware next race.

2004-08-16 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

Awsome job Cameron.

2004-08-16 6:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations! Just a thought...could your heart rate be high because you were swimming really fast? ;-)

2004-08-16 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job. See you at a local race one of these days.
2004-08-17 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks guys!!
2004-08-23 11:05 PM

, Alabama

Cameron,

Sorry we didn't see you there!  Bob and I were there also.  I was the sleek 40-something and Bob was the handsome stud-like creature!  Great job on the race.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed