General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Daily Weight Lifting and Triathlon Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-24 3:21 PM

Subject: Daily Weight Lifting and Triathlon Training
I've only done 1 Sprint Triathlon but I've run a marathon and numerous running races. And I'm considering on doing another Sprint. The training for the last Sprint was very non-scientific, pretty much whatever cardo I felt like doing I did.

But my question: Can I combine my daily strength training routines with a daily triathlon routine?

Currently I spend about 30 minutes doing 4-5 strength exercises and spend 30-40 minutes on cardo mainly running, 4-5x a week.

What I would like to do is continue doing my strength training 4-5x a week. And incorporate a beginner training plan investing 3-4 hours a week.

Any problems with doing something like this???

2007-01-24 6:57 PM
in reply to: #666730

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Daily Weight Lifting and Triathlon Training
Go for it. Last season early in the winter and spring I was lifting probably 3-5 times a week and still incorporating SBR training too.

Just be sure to modify your routine a little. You don't need to be doing preacher curls and body building type stuff for definition. Your goal reps and weight should change a little...and be more geared towards triathlon.

Edited by gadzinm 2007-01-24 7:02 PM
2007-01-24 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

There was a similar thread about a month ago.  Anyways, it depends on your goals.  If you just want to finish, you already have the fitness to meet this goal.  If you want to excel in the sprint, you should pick a training plan off this site that is tri specific and gear your training to competing in tris.  There are various opinions on the effectiveness of weight training to endurance events but my opinions is that you should incorporate swimming and biking into your cardio routine.

Ernie

2007-01-24 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
I started strength training this winter. I am kind of using the philosophy in the Tri Training Bible. Starting with low weight high repetition to get my body used to lifting. I only do the specific excercises recommended in the traing bible during the initial period. During the initial period I was only lifting 2 times per week gradually increasing the weight. I am beginning to transition into 3 session per week. I am keeping 48 - 72 hours between sessions. I am continuing to swim, bike, run train at low intensity working on form and aerobic base.

I can feel the difference that strength training has made in all of the disciplines. You will too. Just start slow and let your body adapt to the new stress. Once adapted apply more stress. Repeat until you are ready to begin higher intensity training then switch back to a basic maintenance strength program.

2007-01-24 8:36 PM

User image

So you have already been lifting, correct? If so, I agree to stay with what you enjoy with lifting... maybe go for endurance lifting for now... and add in some swimming and biking. Specifically focusing on transitions. I have never done a triathlon before but I know so many people who have told me that it really cuts their time by practicing those transitions. Your body will thank you for it.
2007-01-24 10:45 PM

Pro
yep,

Since you understand the aspects of lifting since you've done it for a while.  I would try and cut back lifting to no more then 3 times a week.  This will allow for a downtime and a different feeling in your muscles from the cardio.  Another thing is to increase the reps and decrease the weight.  This will increase the muscular endurance and allow you to go longer.

Run 3 times a week, bike 2-3 times a week and swim 2-3 times a week.  For me (ex-college lacrosse player) I was always in decent shape.  This being my second year in tri's I'm trying to balance out the 3 sports.  I enjoy cycling and a little running.  After a while swimming is a little boring to me.  My season includes 1 10k, 1 Oly tri, and maybe 1 sprint.

I'd take a close look at your goals for the year and where you wanna be.  If you just wanna finish of course cut the cardio back and stay with the weights.  But if you wanna try and push yourself take into consideration what I've said.

AND WELCOME TO BT!

2007-01-24 11:27 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
The problem I have is when I lift hard, I am sore enough that it slows down my endurance the next day.  Monday I did Arms and shoulders and Tuesday my swim was too hard.   so I think you (I?) need to lighten up the load so you have the stamina for endurance training also. 
2007-01-24 11:30 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

May I also suggest doing compound movements and core stabilizing exercises. Things like squats with shoulder press, bent-over row standing on one leg. Trust me, these moves add extra challenge, but also recruit more stabilizing muscles that would help with the tri sports. 

(Speaking of which, I really gotta get myself to the gym...)

2007-01-25 5:54 AM
in reply to: #667133

New user

tkbslc, you definitely should consider lightening up your lifting load. Everything I ever heard about strength training for endurance athletes is to use light weights and go for repetitions. Rightly or wrongly, I like to do circuits of strength exercises. Each exercise in a circuit is performed at least with 10 reps, but most have 15 or so. I do not rest between exercises or between circuits, which in my mind (again rightly or wrongly) increases endurance.
2007-01-25 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
I do strength on the days that I have a cycle train because cycling is easier for me than running.

I do a full body circuit 3 days a week. My goal on each of those days is to get through 4 sets (15 reps each exercise). If I don't, then I don't get uptight....just as long as I get through a minimum of 2 sets.

It takes me less than an hour to get through the 7 different exercises....which are designed to cover major body parts....a lot of them are core.

I stretch after each exercise which helps me to avoid getting sore the next day.

You really only need 3 days a week (minimum 2) to do strength.
2007-01-25 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Like you, I've lifted for years and am just now getting into tri training focusing on short or sprint events for the coming season. The cardio training has always been lacking for me, and the tri's have been great for focus and motivation.

Having said that, I've stayed on my lifting routine of 4 days per week hitting each bodypart once. I do supersets with little rest in between and my longest workout is only 40 minutes, with my last sets being 6 reps. To that I've added the 2x training plan from this site, thus adding 6 cardio sessions per week to the routine. Finding the time has been a challenge, but the only time I've really felt the lifting hindered my tri training was when I ran just 20 minutes after lifting. Usually I break them up into morning/evening. However, I've never tried a week or two of just tri training without the lifting, so I can't compare the difference.

Now, having said that, I'll also be the first to say that at this time my goal is not to finish first, but to enjoy the competition and cut bodyfat while maintaining/building muscle mass and definition. I love the variety of the training that comes with a tri, and know I can lift hard and still build the stamina to do the short tri's. If the day comes when I think about doing the longer events my goals may change.

Good luck and have fun!

2007-01-25 2:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL

Absolutely.  In my opinion there is no reason to drop your gym time because you want to do more tris, especially if you're already doing marathons.

I spend 1-1.5 hours in the gym every morning before work.  On my lunch break and in the evenings is when I do my cardio/tri training. 

Typical week in the off/pre-season for me looks like this:

Monday:
AM-Chest and Tris
Lunch- Run
Evening-Swim

Tuesday
AM-Back and Biceps
Lunch- Rest or swim 
Evening-Bike

Wed
AM-Shoulders
Lunch- Run
Evening-Swim

Thurs
AM-Legs
Lunch- Rest or swim 
Evening-Cycle

Friday
AM-Extra Credit day (hit any muscle group needs work or make up if I had to miss a day)
Lunch- Run
Evening-Usually involves beer somewhere

Saturday
Long run

Sunday

Long bike

Edited by dibujob 2007-01-25 2:24 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Daily Weight Lifting and Triathlon Training Rss Feed