Trievents
27C / 81F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 24s
Overall Rank = 192/351
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/46
Pre-race routine:

Up early, 2 bix and a little bit of Berrocca, Drove in, parked, and watched the last few things get set up...in the dark...
Event warmup:

Ran the lenght of the swim and back, did some streching around the swim start line, just to have a look. Drank the rest of my (week) barrocca.
Swim
  • 27m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was warm, a bit too warm, and although you could touch the ground at the start, it felt horrible, just as I remember from school. Seemed to be a prety big wave that I strted in this time, I started at the very back, and cought a few people early, copping kicks elbows, hands etc etc, didn't really bother me surprisingly.

Settled into what felt like a really comfertable pace, just plodding along in a group of about 10 of us I would guess. The sun was at a terible height and reflecting off the river, looking forwrd to sight was just about a waste of time.

Made the turn to head back, and the water was way too shallow to swim, had to run/walk about 20-30m to find water deep enough to swim in. Bit of an up and down swim on the way back, kept hitting shallow water, saw the last bouy and realised I had bags of energy left, so picked up my pace for the last 300m or so. Got pulled out of the water, ran up the ramp and then looked at my watch, 27min...I had to have a second look, that is under 2min/100, which is my aim, I was delirious for a second, I think the course must have been short.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I felt really good in this swim, managed to stay in a group, maybe thats what picked up my pace a bit. Just got to keep the swim squad going and who knows what pace i'll be at by the HIM.
Transition 1
  • 00m 2s
Comments:

Reasonably good transition, appart from stuffing around with heart rate moniter...FOR THE LAST TIME...

Next sprint tri I will try the shoes on the bike thing I think.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.89 km/hr
Comments:

Had a realy good ride, bike computer said 41km and 1:10, about a 35km hour average, bang on target. Was a very strong head wind on the way out, lots of riders struggling with it so I cought plenty of people who hammered me in the swim, took my gells and drinks on the way back in with the tail wind behind me.

The first lap on the way out was a stuggle, legs were heavy and dead, HR was way up and I wasn't getting anywhere, didn't realise at that stage the headwind was so strong, got the fluids and gells after the first turn around and started to feal much better, was a good ride after that.

Don't think there is much I would do different on the ride, just keep up the training and if I can build on or maintain that pace/position i'll be pleased.
Transition 2
  • 00m 2s
Comments:

Good transition, seemed quite fast, and managed to drink a fair bit of my sports drink, which was still nice and frozen, i think that helped. My foot got re-clipped in just before I jumped off the bike, so had to stop to get off, a little frustrating but didn't slow me down enough to worry about.

Nothing, this was all prety smooth really. Will try taking feet out on the ride, and jumping off one day.
Run
  • 50m 10s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Not a good run, struggled alot on this run. Kept up a steady pace, but was very very slow, my body could probably have gone faster, but my head was saying no...don't do it...I can't be bothered. (Reading a book on mental training at the moment to try and fix this...hope it works.)

Everything was turning into a negative thought, the heat bouncing up pff the road, all the people that I passed on the bike, passing me on the run, not catching anybody...etc etc...

I looked at my watch on the home straight and realised I had 3 min to get to the end in 2:30 (my dream time) picked up the pace a bit, realed in a few people that had passed me and hit the finnish line bang on 2:30...prooves it was my mind slowing me down.

When I look back, I don't think I had run for over a fortnight before this race, that may have been part of the reason...just have to consentrate more on the run for the HIM...as well as consentrating on the mental side of things, that is the second run that my mind has ruled my legs, it is becoming a problem.

Toughen up my mind...Very disapointing run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some streching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind in the run...other that that just more regular/focused/training.

Event comments:

When I added up my expected times for this race, I thought it would take between 2:45 and 3:00...in the back of my mind I thought if I can hit 2:30 i would be very happy. I hit 2:30, and overall I am very happy with that. Disapointed with the run, but extatic that I swam a 1,500m, even more pleased that I did it in 27min, that for me is a great base to build on over the next few months for the HIM.

Last updated: 2006-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/46
Overall: 231/351
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A river swim...mmmm...not very nice... Swim straight line into the sun for ~1km, left hand turn ~50m towards shore, left hand turn ~ 450m to swim exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:49 | 40 kms | 33.89 km/hr
Age Group: 18/46
Overall: 94/351
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back 8km loop, out into a head wind, back with a tail wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:10 | 10 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 32/46
Overall: 240/351
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back ~3km loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4.1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-04 6:03 PM

Perth
Subject: City of Perth Triathlon

2007-02-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: #678957

User image

Regular
Erskineville
Subject: RE: City of Perth Triathlon
Hey!!! Good race. That cool you came in way under your target time and yes awesome swim and you smashed the bike to. I wish I could average 35km's in the wind. Hope the book is the goods and the head toughens up. I am sure it will. You training for the Busso Half?
2007-02-04 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Wow great swim! good race report.

it was a fairly tough day out there, that swim is absolutely disgusting,  everyone comign out of the water with beards!  and like you said it was so shallow it was amazing hte number of people that just ran most of thew ay back in.   And the ramp comign out of the water looked tough.

that wind was seriously strong so good work on riding such a great time!

and another reason your run might have been so hard was that awful smoke,  that really affects breathing so would have just made it a bit harder for everyone I think.

congrats on such a brilliant first olympic you'll finish hours in front of me in the half if you keep on getting faster and faster like this

2007-02-04 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Congratulations on getting your goal time. I think this race will put you in good stead for the HIM.
You have to be able to banish all negative thoughts, otherwise it'll be a very long day.
At least now you know that your legs can beat your mind, but it certainly makes it easier if they work togather!
2007-02-06 6:22 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Congratulations on the tri, looks like you did really well! The river was disgusting wasn't it, I came out with a dirt moustache, yuck! At least the Bullshark they saw last week didn't show up Good luck with your HIM endevours!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Perth Triathlon Rss Feed