General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
Parmakid Runners Club
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, had a banana and headed into San Francisco. Got there a little earlier than most people, but wound up with a great parking spot! Had 2-3 bites of my Banana PowerBar.
Event warmup:

Walking around pre-race and stretching
Run
  • 2h 25m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

It took me a a few minutes to cross the starting line, but I used my watch as my real time from the moment a crossed the starting line until the finish line. I hit the first mile at 10 minutes and after that slowed a bit. I stuck to my plan of 8 minutes running/1 minute walking. Drank on walk breaks and had a bites of PowerBar. Made a pit-stop at the porta-potty in mile 5 and I hit the 6 mile mark at 1:05, which I was pretty happy with. The entire race I felt great until the last 2 miles. Suddenly at mile 11 my legs cramped really bad. The last time my legs felt that bad was during the Silicon Valley Marathon a few years back. I felt like I was hydrating enough wihout geting a sloshing feeling in my belly, but maybe not. At mile 11 I started to walk every 2 minutes or so. Debated stopping to stretch, but felt like if I did, I may not sart running again. I was happy to cross the finsih line before the 2:30 mark, so overall good race.

My only complaint about this race would be the amount of people running with iPods! There were so many times that I was almost run into or tripped while passing people because they could not hear me yelling, "on your left!"
What would you do differently?:

Try to figure out why I cramped, maybe more hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the post-race Expo and picked up my shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg cramps on mile 11 to the end

Event comments:

Glad I ran with my water, I think there could have been a few more aid spots.

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:25:15 | 13.1 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat, a few small rollers. The Great Highway was a nightmare, just a little too boring for me.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-04 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon

2007-02-04 10:16 PM
in reply to: #679032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: RE: Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon
Great race Abbie!  Wish I could have stuck around to meet but we had to go shortly after 10:00.  We'll have to try again!  BTW, how'd you like the t-shirt?  I was pleased with it.
2007-02-05 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Good job. I had cramping too. It was was a great run I thought.

Take care and I hope that you're not too sore today.
2007-02-06 8:05 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Great job Abbie. Looks like you met your goals. Cramping could be due to hydration. it didn't seem like they had many water/aid stations to me either. last half mary I did, they had stations every 3K and it seems like they had one every 3mi in this one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon Rss Feed