ATTA
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 52/54
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

had to get out of bed at the ridiculously early time of 4.30am, before 5am is just really really hard work. had all my gear packed the night before, packed the car up made some vegemite toast to eat in the car. Headed over to pick up my friend and we made the long drive out to Gidgegannup. registered packed the bikes onto a trailer adn jumped on the bus for the bus trip otu to Toodyay.
Event warmup:

Jumped on the bike in Toodyay for a little warm up. probably 3 or 4 ks I htink thats most warm up I've ever had for any race! might have to make a habit of this. Unfortunately my computer was working fine when I was doig my warm up but when I went to reset it to start the time trial I just couldn't get it to work. one of the boys had a play around with it and he couldn't get it working either. Wasn't happy about doing the whole thing withough computer but had no choice. He said just ride to your heart rate, yeah right!
Bike
  • 1h 42m 41s
  • 45 kms
  • 26.29 km/hr
Comments:

I didn't feel great from the word go, I was tired I think I trained to much this week to really put in a good effort today. Not having a computer to tell me what speeds I was going or what cadence made it very difficult.
anyway I just put my head down and cycled to how I felt really. It started with a great big hill out of Toodyay one long slow hill for about 5 ks (I think) and then rolling hills for about 35k's the down hills were brilliant but the uphills were tough, n ot really sure if that evened it out a bit. Then there was a really really tough hill for 5 k's to the finish line, it was hot by that stage so it was a real tough climb!

I knew after the first hill that I was in for a long ride, but surprisngly it wasn't as long and I really think I should have pushed it harder I had a bit too much left in the tank at the end, I was treating it a bit like a training ride I think, I did well with gels today and drinking,, although it was quite humid so think I should ahve had more. I'm becoming alot more comfortable on my new bike even mastered the bushmans blow! never thought I'd do that hehe!

It sucked getting passed by so many people! there were only 7 girls doing it, the other girls weere all super athletes my friend and I were so not and we came way way down the list she beat me by a minute and came in 51 and I was 52 out of 54 how embarassing. but when you looked at the people beating us on disc wheels and the like we were in a different league really.
What would you do differently?:

ride faster! I'll aslo make sure I have a better preparation lead up to a race, I shouldn't have gone swimming training on Sat, and my first run on Thurs hasn't helped my legs any. I didn't sleep well on sun either.
Post race
Warm down:

no warm down, I just wanted to get off my bike, my saddle still ins't comfy. drank lots and then drove back to perth and cooked up a storm for breakfast with my friends who did the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my slow legs

Event comments:

Its such a well organised event very low key you just rock up and do it. no fuss!

Last updated: 2007-02-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:42:41 | 45 kms | 26.29 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 52/54
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hills hills hills and guess what a few more hills thrown in just because. country road from Toodyay to Gidgegannup.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-11 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: The Mark Webb Memorial

2007-02-11 6:23 PM
in reply to: #687034

Perth
Subject: RE: The Mark Webb Memorial

They do run a prety good event the ATTA, I enjoyed their Birds in the Park rides, and will be doing the 40km tt in a month or so.

The competion is fierce isn't it....I think those events have helped my riding more than any of my training rides, you can really test your limits.

Good ride

2007-02-11 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

I agree, 4.30am is a bit too early to be out of bed but it just shows how dedicated and committed you are to your sport. 

Super effort mate!!

Edited by pzdipr 2007-02-11 7:00 PM
2007-02-11 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Mel you went out there and had a crack and put in a great effort.
That's a whole lot more than all those that stayed in bed!!

Bummer about your speedo - it happened to me in my HIM.
Just gotta do what you can, hey?

Sounds like a good learning experience, in that you know what
you'd do different next time.
2007-02-11 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Good race.  Sometimes it's just about putting in the effort.  You've been putting in a lot of training with no taper for the race.  As someone said, "you can't control who shows up for the race".  You said that there were only 7 women in the race, so it probably was a tough field.  Great job pushing through.

Ernie

PS - How do you Aussie's come up with names for your towns.  Just random letters?

2007-02-12 9:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chris Tree 2007-02-12 9:47 AM

2007-02-12 5:34 PM

Champion
Sydney

Rock up and do it sounds like my kind of event Mel!

Congratulations - youve had some year with shoulders and toes and all that training in spite of it! Woo Hoo Mel! Go you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Mark Webb Memorial Rss Feed