Space Coast Runners - Running Zone
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:15, man that was hard to do. You see I was the DD the night before for a party trip up to Orlando's Howl-at-the-Moon and got to bed at 1am. Sure was strange being on the "over-side" of things! Had a bananna and glass of milk then made some coffee. Took a hot tub too as the legs felt really tight and thought it would help. Did some easy stretching and was out the door...
Event warmup:

Left the house 25 minutes before race time. Rode the Tri-bike 6 miles to the event, this got the HR up and I worked on a high spin rate. Had ~5 min to spare so I did some more stretching and was ready to go! Worked my way up to the front of the pack at the starting line.
Run
  • 45m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather was perfect for the start, cool and a very slight west breeze. I carried a 7oz Fuel Belt bottle with me so I wouldn't need to get any water on the course to wet my mouth. The legs just wanted to go at the start, must have been from the high spin rate on the bike WU ride (>95) and a tiny bit of adrenaline! Goal for the fist mile was to be ~8 flat and negative split from there, but I was out with the 'big boys' and the legs felt so very comfortable on that first mile. Upon reading the 1st mile split I had to force myself to throttle back. Saw my riding buds TitanIV and John on their bikes before hitting the park, otherwise Mile 1-3 was uneventful as the front crowd was adjusting itself between the 'out too fast' and 'I know what I'm doing' runners. I could have easily set a 5k PR based on the 3 mile time with holding myself back. The ~3.25 to 4.5 mile point for me was the toughest, my mind was getting bored and my form was suffering at times. No one was passing or dropping back so I was following a few runners and had to focus on my running form and did some stride counts. At the turn for the West leg for ~4.5 to 5.5 miles, the wind had picked up from the start so I played it smart and started "drafting" the runner in front of me, staying behind far enough so it wouldn't bother him. A few runners then passed us and I jumped on their draft for as long as I could. The last 0.7 miles was all gut check time. I was working on getting to the next short goal I could find, several light poles and trash cans and the such. On the last 0.2 stretch my legs were finally saying enough and my breathing was a hard 1-1, and for some reason I kept thinking about waterdog66’s "puking" comment! But I kept the turnover high and tried my best to stay with the guy in front of me, I just had nothing left for a good kick though.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down at the start! Seriously I got caught up in the opening dash with the fast runners. I forgot to check my interval at the 1/4 mile marker. Maybe this would have given me more finishing power.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged for about a 1/4 mile then walked back and got some water. Waited around to see some of the other finishers and to see about how long it would be to the awards since this was a Race Of the Year (ROY) run and there were a lot of fast runners there. Did some stretching and then decided to check the race course mile distance markers while the last runners were coming in as my legs were getting tight just standing around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe going out too fast at the start and not doing enough interval runs.

Event comments:

I really like this 10k course, flat and fast with a loop through the park. Doesn't help that it is very close to my house and is part of the course I set a 5k PR on three times!

In the next 3 weeks I need to do several longer runs & some bridge intervals again before the next 10k race, as it is on a tougher course with an over and back leg on a big causeway (bridge).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:53 | 06.21 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
1st mile - 6:43; 2nd mile - 7:18; 3rd mile - 7:32; 4th mile - 7:48 * ; 5th mile - 7:15 * ; 6th mile - 7:54 * ; 0.2137 mile - 1:22 ; * = Doubled checked the mile markers with cyclometer and sure enough these were not symetrical.
Course: Lap around Wickham Park with 1 lap in the park. Flat and fast!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-13 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Tiger Dash
Man in Black #751 is me

Edited by Donto 2007-02-13 8:46 AM

2007-02-13 1:11 PM
in reply to: #689019

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Tiger Dash
Nice job, Don...oh to run as quickly!
2007-02-13 3:40 PM
in reply to: #689411

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Guess that calf healed nicely! Nice Job Don!
2007-02-16 7:04 AM
in reply to: #689019

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
KIIIIIICK A$$!!!  Great race Don!  That's a hell of a pace for a trail run.  Awesome job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiger Dash Rss Feed