General Discussion Race Reports! » Meadows Pool Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Meadows Pool Biathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Boca Raton, Florida
United States
City of Boca Raton
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 36s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 5:20, made the coffee. FREEEZING morning. I was hoping to have gotten an e-mail saying they were going to cancel it because it was too cold! Drove over to the pool with Bob.

Set up my transition area. Even put socks, gloves and a long sleeve bike shirt to put on for the run.
Event warmup:

LOTS of jogging wearing the sweatshirt and warmup suit over my tri-clothes. Didn't actually get into the water until just a few minutes before start time to do the swim warmup. The air was soooo cold on deck that the water almost felt like bath water! Only had time for one full lap before they lined our heat up to start the race.
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just sort of stayed in my own little world with this swim. Didn't really pay any attention to anyone else.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little faster. Always a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I know how poorly I do when I'm cold so although I usually don't even wear socks when the run is this short, I had my warmest socks there and I just plopped my butt down on the ground, dried off my feet and got those nice toasty socks on and then my shoes.

The air was cool but I felt warm from the swim, so I opted not to put on the long sleeved shirt, figuring I'd get even warmer on the run. BIG mistake, but more on that later.

Nothing. Transition was a little slow, but I definitely wanted the socks on and I'm not good at putting them on standing up.
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was where the fun began. It took only about 1/4 mile to realize what a bad decision it was to go wtihout the long sleeve shirt and gloves. My body started out warm from the exertion of the swim, but I still had wet hair and tri clothes. I was getting cccooold! By the end of the first loop my fingers were red and my thighs were getting numb. The upside of this was that I couldn't feel my muscles getting tired, so I don't think I slowed down. With about 1/2 mile to go I happened to run by a man just leaving his house for the morning. He looked at me with my wet hair, wet tri bra and shorts like I was nuts! (Imagine that!) I just looked at him and said, "I KNOW! You don't have to tell me I'm nuts!" he just smiled.

During the run I passed three guys, but finally within the last 1/2 mile I passed another female. I knew she wouldn't be able to stay wtih me because she started out WAYYYYY ahead of me and I was able to catch her.

WEAR THE STUPID LONG SLEEVE SHIRT AND GLOVES LIKE ANY SANE HUMAN BEING!
Post race
Warm down:

PUT ON THE SHIRT! Jogged a little bit, waited for Bob to come in and then bolted for the showers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

CCCOOOOOLD! By the time I got into the showers, my skin was deep red, blotchy and itchy (sort of like when you've had the ice pack on too long) wherever my wet tri-clothes were. Very uncomfortable. I'm still wondering why I did an outdoor swim-run race in this weather. I must be nuts!

Event comments:

This is a great small neighborhood race. Only about 24 people in the entire race or so. The overall female winner was this 12-year-old swimming phenom. Her swim time was literally 6 minutes faster than mine! I'd have had to wear a rocket pack to keep with that!

For a race this small, there was a great spread at the end of the race...bagels, granola bars, fruit, Gatorade, waters, etc. I've seen races much bigger than this with much less to offer.

Last updated: 2007-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 1000 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri bra and tri shorts
Course: back and forth!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:46
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:25:36 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops around the neighborhood and into the park for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-19 2:03 AM

, Alabama
Subject: Meadows Pool Biathlon

2007-02-19 7:09 AM
in reply to: #695124

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Meadows Pool Biathlon
Super fast as always Sharon congrats
2007-02-19 7:32 AM
in reply to: #695124

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Meadows Pool Biathlon

Nice job...as i said earlier..you were way fast IMO...

I had no idea that little girl was first...wow....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Meadows Pool Biathlon Rss Feed