United States
Big Kahuna Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 31s
Overall Rank = 24/165
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

As a side note, I wrote up my report before the race times were posted. It is kind of interesting to see how I felt about the race before I knew my times.

Woke up at 5:00am. First thing I did was check my bike tires. No flats this week!! I had my almond butter sandwich, went over my checklist again and was out the door about 6:20am.

It was a little difficult figuring out what to wear. It was pretty cold when I got to the event, but once the sun came out, it started to warm up pretty fast. When I got to the event, I put my running tights on over my Tri suit. However, I ended up taking them off about 5 minutes before the start. So I did the run and bike with a biking jacket over my Tri suit. This kept me very comfortable. I debated about wearing socks and ended up leaving them on. I think that was a good decision.
Event warmup:

Easy run for 10 minutes
Swim
  • 08m 33s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a little screwy how you had to jump in the pool. You had to jump in an open section, then swim under the lane divider to start. I do not see why they could not have removed the start platform from the lane we were starting in. Then we could have been in our lane from the start. So the volunteers are telling you how to jump in as you run up. I go to jump in and my left foot slips out to the left. This causes an instant cramp in that calf. I am thinking to myself, "Oh Shit, I am going to fight this the entire swim". Fortunately, it let up after 1/2 a length and did not bother me again. I wore my Tempo Trainer and had it set at 1.30(CAD of 46). I was able to keep up with that pace OK. My biggest problem was getting a good breath. There were times when the water was pretty choppy and I would get too much water when I turned to breathe. I did pass one person :), but got passed by 3 others.:(

Last year I would usually finish around the bottom 25% overall. I have to be please to finish in the top 30% overall for this race.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to practice more swimming. I am weakest in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

This was Run to Bike. I had a little trouble getting my shoes in the clips after jumping on the bike. In reality it did not cost me anymore than a couple seconds.

Was 4th in my age group. I am always happy to be under a minute in the transitions.

Whenever I start a bike ride even in training, I always practice jumping on the bike. I never do it as smoothly in a race. Probably something to do with an elevated HR and all that stuff. :)
Bike
  • 47m 48s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good about my bike. I only recall having one person pass me. In the neighborhood there were a lot of turns. I was really happy with my speed through them. It helped me to catch people in front of me. I tried to maintain a CAD of 105. I stayed in the big ring the entire race so there were times I could not maintain that CAD, so I just went as hard as I could in those sections. I am not sure what my Ave CAD was because my bike computer went haywire at some point after the bike portion. When the transition area opened up, I went to my bike to see the computer registering me riding at 65 mph. The time was running and everything. I was wondering of I was in the Matrix.

Holy crap! I was 2nd in my age group. I have never finished that high before

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This was bike to swim. Felt like it went pretty smooth. After I finished, I realized that I did not remove my number belt. I am sure I looked like a dork swimming with my number on my butt.

Remove number belt. Although, I am sure it did not affect my time.
Run
  • 22m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my Tempo Trainer set at .67(CAD of 90). It took me about 1/2 mile to get in a groove with my breathing. When I would concentrate on forward pelvic tilt, elbows back, and looking 6 feet ahead; I felt great. Unfortunately, my mind wanders too much and I checkout other people. Overall, I felt pretty good about my run. There were some sections that were a little uphill and into the wind. I felt myself struggle with my stride in those sections. The CAD of 90 was a good pace for me.

Wow, I was not expecting a PB for the run.

Try to just concentrate on the task at hand. I can do the people watching after the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around drinking diluted accelerade and eating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to get better at swimming

Event comments:

So I have done the first 2 races in the series. I will probably skip the next two, then do the following two to see how I compare. I really am not a fan of swimming last since that is what I am weakest in.

Last updated: 2007-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:33 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 50/165
Performance: Good
Ave HR = 137 Max HR = 186 I was surprised to see my Ave HR that low. I guess I should have gone harder.
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. This was last since it was a reverse Tri.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:48 | 15 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 17/165
Ave HR = 158 Max HR = 169 158 puts me at the top of zone 3. This was a good pace for me. I would not want to go anaerobic on the bike leg.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: City and neighborhood streets.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:33 | 03.11 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 39/165
Ave HR = 170 Max HR = 176 I don't think I would have wanted to go any harder based on my HR data. 170 is on the high end of zone 4 for me.
Course: Fairly flat course on sidewalks
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-02-25 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RunBiTri Triathlon - Allen

2007-02-25 9:53 PM
in reply to: #702565

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: RunBiTri Triathlon - Allen
Congrats on the bike place and the run PR.
2007-02-25 10:30 PM

User image

You had a good race too.  Looks like we had somewhat similar times across all 3 disciplines today.
2007-02-26 4:38 AM

User image

Awesome effort man, great run after a great ride.

Its hard to pretend you're alone out there aint it!
2007-02-26 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Very nice race!  Congrats on doing so well.
2007-02-26 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

WOW - congrats - good race.

I'll keep watch for when you 'run' this one again. 

2007-02-26 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job on the race! Glad to see that you didn't encounter any tire problems! You had great bike and run times!

Yes, they went 3 deep in each A.G. for awards.
2007-02-26 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job!  Next time we'll have to have a predetermined BT meeting place. 
2007-02-26 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Wow, that was a super pace! It looks like we need to have a BT get together with all these folks in the Metroplex. Looking forward to my second season of tris this year! Maybe we will meet up at one of them.
2007-02-26 11:07 PM

User image

, Texas
Great race, congrats on the 2'nd in AG on the bike. Eventually, we'll run into each other
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RunBiTri Triathlon - Allen Rss Feed