General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recs for best tri or runningi clubs in AZ for beginners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-26 3:40 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Recs for best tri or runningi clubs in AZ for beginners
I have a friend that needs recommendations for tri or running clubs in AZ for beginners. She is very new to the sport, has not done a tri yet and still not even sure if she's really interested. But she'd like to use the club to help her get into shape and test the waters.

The thing is, the club needs to be very friendly and supportive to newbies. I think if it's not, she will be a little discouraged from the get go. Like if she goes to the first meeting and then they try to do some activity and they leave her in the dust.

Any recommendations are greated appreciated also. Maybe running clubs or TNT to get her feet wet? Not sure if TNT would really fit her since she's not too sure about racing yet.

I want to get her into the sport but not scare her off. I invited her to watch IMAZ in April which I will participate but it might be a little overwhelming.

Edited by auto208562 2007-02-26 3:41 AM

2007-02-26 10:23 AM
in reply to: #702843

Subject: RE: Recs for best tri or runningi clubs in AZ for beginners
where in AZ does she live?
2007-02-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: #703173

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
She said north Phoenix, near Scottsdale.

AZtriman - 2007-02-26 8:23 AM

where in AZ does she live?
2007-02-26 11:44 AM

Chandler, AZ
I know of three tri clubs in the Phoenix area.

Phoenix Tri Club
http://phoenixtriathlonclub.org

Landis Tri Club
http://www.landistriclub.com/

AZ Tri club
http://www.aztriclub.com/

I only get emails from these clubs and I have never actually been to any meetings or group workouts (It's not that I don't like them, their schedules and mine don't match up).

I will point this out, this is a quote from the AZ tri club page

"We found that far too often established triathlon organizations did little else than profit a select few and cater to the elite triathlete over the rookie. The aim of this website and this club is to nurture the triathlete inside you. We are dedicated to the educational pursuit of triathlon, the physical and psychological benefits of triathlon to your life and the spirit of camaraderie."

If she can afford it then RaceLab might be the place to start (my wife has me on a very limited budget!)

http://racelab.com/

Again, I have never worked out with RaceLab but I know a couple of people that started with them and enjoyed it.

Good Luck

2007-02-26 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Our tri club would be perfect for her, but we're in Tucson: Tucson Tri Girls.

But if she's ever in the area, she's more than welcome to hang with us! She could also join our YahooGroup e-mail list to get ideas and info. You don't have to be a member to get on the YahooGroup, and we have people from all over the country on that list.

2007-02-26 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks everyone for the recs. I emailed her the link to this thread so hopefully she will be contacting one of those clubs or possibly you guys personally via this board to get more info. The Tuscon tri club looks interesting and seems very friendly. Just not sure how far that is from where she lives. I'm not too familar with AZ.

2007-02-26 10:10 PM

User image

Mesa
Hey Auto... I train with AZ tri club. 8 of us are doing Ironman and there are people in the club that range from super slow to pretty darn fast.

AZ Tri Club does not charge any fees to join the group or train with us. Great bunch of guys and some gals. They have actually become like a 2nd family to me.

Oh, I was new to triathlons and super new to OWS and swimming at the lake with them made my swimming better and gave me more confidence faster than I thought my swimming would come along.
2007-02-27 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Ya, racelab is super duper newbie friendly, if you can afford them. They will taylor stuff to your goals. They helped me learn how to swim originally. Plus, they have a pretty sizeable group of folks, and do stuff all across the valley.
2007-02-28 12:01 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks everyone. Appreciate it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recs for best tri or runningi clubs in AZ for beginners Rss Feed