General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One day Weight Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-02-28 12:27 PM

Subject: One day Weight Training?
Hello All,

I can only fit in one day of weight training, is it worth it or should I just sub it with a run or bike?

Thanks guys,

Booj

2007-02-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: #706377

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: One day Weight Training?
Depends on your priorities and what you want to accomplish.  If your aim is to get faster in triathlons, then run or bike.
2007-02-28 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Booj - 2007-02-28 12:27 PM

Hello All,

I can only fit in one day of weight training, is it worth it or should I just sub it with a run or bike?

Thanks guys,

Booj

Well a friend of mine tells me there is a1 day a week weight training tht supose to make you super strong but I do not know how well it works.
2007-02-28 1:29 PM

Memphis

I lift one day a week and feel that this works in well to my overall schedule of swimming, biking, and running.  I probably shouldn't do this, but I consider my lifting day my rest day, so I don't feel like I'm taking away from the other three.  I do a full body workout hitting all of the major muscle groups.  I then supplement this by doing push ups, pull ups, and dips at least one other day of the week.

Does it help with my triathlons?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It makes me feel better to do it than to skip it all together.  Plus, I do look better in my tri suit. 

2007-02-28 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Chirunner is referring to High Intensity Training (HIT), a topic we beat to death in a thread from a couple weeks ago. Basically, you work yourself to failure on every set, then allow your body to rebuild itself for a week. For novices, it's extremely risky. And even for experts who use perfect form, its merits are debatable.

From my own 20+ years experience in strength training, I found that I really didn't achieve any gains unless I was lifting 3 or more times per week.

If I were you, I would simply add a few sets of push-ups and sit-sups following every run or bike and do more hill work to strengthen the legs. If you want, you could also buy a couple dumbbells or barbells to use for extra arm work while watching TV.
2007-02-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #706560

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks I did not know what it was called. guess I missed that thread.

To give you an idea I used to curl 40 lbs and it was tough. now I curl 60 lbs and its easy. All I did was swim. You do get stronger doing the swim/bike/run thing. Maybe not as fast but it does work.

2007-02-28 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I only lift one day a week and I believe it is beneficial for me.
2007-02-28 2:07 PM

Thanks!
2007-02-28 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I only do upper body strength training, and then I only use the machines and do the 3 sets of 10 reps thing.  No HIIT stuff.  Just straight lifting.

I figure it's the only strength work my arms and upper body is going to get outside of swimming.  Plus, I'm trying to tone my arms and build some muscle to help get my BF down.

I have learned, though, that it's not a good idea to do a hard weight session on the same day as Masters Class.    I'm still sore. 

2007-02-28 3:37 PM

User image

Lifting is excellent for fat loss and joint conditioning, if only once a week even.
2007-03-01 9:19 AM

User image

Tallahassee
the topic of weight training comes up often and Im amazed at how many people dont seem to support lifting. It seems funny to me because people say if you want to get faster biking or running, bike or run.
Lets be honest with ourselves isnt being in good shape and being healthy a large part of why we tri. Sure if your pro and the difference between two paychecks is at risk focus on the swim/bike/run but I know for myself, while I want to be very competitive and have set a goal to qualify for hawaii in the next 4 years, I ultimately tri because it makes my body feel good, look good, and it makes me healthy. Weight training does all of those things as well...

2007-03-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #707477

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

jbillfsu - 2007-03-01 9:19 AM the topic of weight training comes up often and Im amazed at how many people dont seem to support lifting. It seems funny to me because people say if you want to get faster biking or running, bike or run. Lets be honest with ourselves isnt being in good shape and being healthy a large part of why we tri. Sure if your pro and the difference between two paychecks is at risk focus on the swim/bike/run but I know for myself, while I want to be very competitive and have set a goal to qualify for hawaii in the next 4 years, I ultimately tri because it makes my body feel good, look good, and it makes me healthy. Weight training does all of those things as well...

That's why I noted "Depends on your priorities and what you want to accomplish."  I'm not against lifting for those who enjoy it or its benefits.  I just don't support it as a way for most to become better triathletes.

2007-03-01 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I started lifting again after not lifting for about 2 months. I have doubled the amount of weight I used to do and I am now strongest I ever been in my life. I guess all the swimming/biking no running since I got hurt paid off. It was mostly the swimming. You can gain alot of strength through swimming. Is it the most effeiceint way to do it? probably not but what better way to build muscles why learning to have better form.

The reason I went back to weight lifting is I going to the gym during lunch to work on a tight IT band issue so I might as well spend the extra 20 minutes and build some strength.

The thing about it is its all depends on your goals and how much time you have. If you have the time and want to do it then why not. If your into TI swimming and Chi running both tell you that its more about form than strength though. Then your only building strength for the bike.

I do think lifting can help out balancing potential weak muscles that do not get used as much but the same think could be said of Yoga and with Yoga you are also helping to prevent injuries by getting more flexible.

2007-03-01 9:56 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

jbillfsu - 2007-03-01 9:19 AM the topic of weight training comes up often and Im amazed at how many people dont seem to support lifting. It seems funny to me because people say if you want to get faster biking or running, bike or run. Lets be honest with ourselves isnt being in good shape and being healthy a large part of why we tri. Sure if your pro and the difference between two paychecks is at risk focus on the swim/bike/run but I know for myself, while I want to be very competitive and have set a goal to qualify for hawaii in the next 4 years, I ultimately tri because it makes my body feel good, look good, and it makes me healthy. Weight training does all of those things as well...
then you better start thinking about drop lifting and focus on your s/b/r training

I don’t recommend it to my athletes but I don’t advice against it if they want to keep weight training in their plans. However I personally think one strength session a week won’t produce any noticeable results and of course it won’t help tri-training at all, but IF that will keep tri training interesting, fun and make him/her look and feel good, then go nuts…

2007-03-01 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
There's certainly more value in doing it than not. I wouldn't expect to be making any real "lifting" gains as far as weight progression or muscle mass gains, but as for preventing any aggregious muscle imbalances and injuries from those imbalances, I think you'll be much better off. I say do it.
2007-03-01 10:50 AM

Those of you who do full body one or two days a week, how many sets and reps for each body part do you do that you feel is benificial?

2007-03-01 11:00 AM

User image

Tallahassee
I think the argument of "well dont weight train because you should focus on s/b/r" is totally true for someone that doesnt have time to fit in all their training as a limiter. But I do not buy the idea at all that if I can do my whole training plan and still get 2 days of weight lifting in with it I am somehow hurting my training or not being as effective.
While finding time is an issue for everyone I feel that I have enough time management that I have no problem fitting in all my workouts. For those of you saying that if my goals are to qualify for Hawaii I should just focus on s/b/r are you saying that because you think I will not do as much s/b/r if I lift or do you actually think lifting will hurt me as an overall triathlete?
2007-03-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #707712

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

jbillfsu - 2007-03-01 11:00 AM I think the argument of "well dont weight train because you should focus on s/b/r" is totally true for someone that doesnt have time to fit in all their training as a limiter. But I do not buy the idea at all that if I can do my whole training plan and still get 2 days of weight lifting in with it I am somehow hurting my training or not being as effective. While finding time is an issue for everyone I feel that I have enough time management that I have no problem fitting in all my workouts. For those of you saying that if my goals are to qualify for Hawaii I should just focus on s/b/r are you saying that because you think I will not do as much s/b/r if I lift or do you actually think lifting will hurt me as an overall triathlete?

Let's put it this way, let's say you have X avg hrs a week for training to get ready for IM and qualify for Kona. (Some weeks will be more hrs and some other less). You will keep some hrs for weight training and the rest for s/b/r while and 2nd athlete with identical skills than you focus entirely on s/b/r. Since the biggest limiter for 99% of athletes is base training, I would say that the 2nd guy will have better chances at accomplish the goal although genes will also play an important role   

And yes you can build up specific strength just s/b/r and no, you don’t need WL to avoid injuries. To do that you have to build up slow, train smart, train enough that you can do it day after day and rest when you need to.

Again, if many enjoy weight lifting for other reasons such as personal looks, you like it, it makes you feel good, or it makes you believe it enhances your tri training, that’s a valid reason to do it, but understand how things work and how one thing might affect another, that's all...

2007-03-01 11:23 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
I consider myself lucky I can only fit in 1 day a week for weights and so I use it where I need it most "LEGS". I used to have issues with ITB, tendonitis, etc.
One day a week for weights is good enough for me and have seen improvements.

Keep it light and you reduce the chance of injury. Go nuts on that one day and you dramatically ask for some hurting.

Just my thing that works for me.

2007-03-01 12:46 PM

User image

Tallahassee
amiine, thanks for the feedback. I guess what my question would be is, take athlete a) let just say he averages 20 hours a week on s/b/r. He puts an additional 2-3 hours a week in training as weight lifting. THen athlete b) does the same average of 20 hours a week of s/b/r and thats it. With everything else equal do you think b still has a better chance to qualify for Kona (or just be a better triathlete)? Im guessing your natural response would be c) a guy doing 23 hours a week of s/b/r with no weights but of a) and b) which would you pick.
2007-03-01 12:56 PM
in reply to: #707904

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

jbillfsu - 2007-03-01 12:46 PM amiine, thanks for the feedback. I guess what my question would be is, take athlete a) let just say he averages 20 hours a week on s/b/r. He puts an additional 2-3 hours a week in training as weight lifting. THen athlete b) does the same average of 20 hours a week of s/b/r and thats it. With everything else equal do you think b still has a better chance to qualify for Kona (or just be a better triathlete)? Im guessing your natural response would be c) a guy doing 23 hours a week of s/b/r with no weights but of a) and b) which would you pick.

I'd say athlete (b) could be hitting his 20 hours harder since he has 2-3 hours of additional recovery.  So everything else equal I'd take athlete (b).

2007-03-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: #707915

User image

Master
Northern California
JohnnyKay - 2007-03-01 10:56 AM

jbillfsu - 2007-03-01 12:46 PM amiine, thanks for the feedback. I guess what my question would be is, take athlete a) let just say he averages 20 hours a week on s/b/r. He puts an additional 2-3 hours a week in training as weight lifting. THen athlete b) does the same average of 20 hours a week of s/b/r and thats it. With everything else equal do you think b still has a better chance to qualify for Kona (or just be a better triathlete)? Im guessing your natural response would be c) a guy doing 23 hours a week of s/b/r with no weights but of a) and b) which would you pick.

I'd say athlete (b) could be hitting his 20 hours harder since he has 2-3 hours of additional recovery. So everything else equal I'd take athlete (b).

Every time you weigh in on this subject that voice in the back of my head reminds me "He doesn't like to lift, he doesn't like to lift, he doesn't like to lift" and that makes me wonder if I/we should get advice on lifting from you? Sort of like getting advice about applying for an advanced degree in economics from the kitchen help at Chevy's.

Edited by coachese 2007-03-01 1:42 PM
2007-03-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #707987

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
coachese - 2007-03-01 1:41 PM

Every time you weigh in on this subject that voice in the back of my head reminds me "He doesn't like to lift, he doesn't like to lift, he doesn't like to lift" and that makes me wonder if I/we should get advice on lifting from you? Sort of like getting advice about applying for an advanced degree in economics from the kitchen help at Chevy's.

I've done (and continue to do) my research on lifting to benefit triathlons.  You're free to take or leave that advice, but I consider it well grounded. 

I don't (and won't) weigh-in when people ask for specific help in setting up a weight program (for whatever reason) or how they should lift, etc. because then you would clearly be right in ignoring me.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-03-01 1:54 PM
2007-03-01 2:01 PM

User image

Tallahassee
I think my biggest issue with the idea that weights do not benefit triathletes is the difference I have felt in both swimming and biking after a long period of weight training. Its just a reality I can bike harder and faster because my legs are stronger, a large part of that is because of bike training but leg workouts have helped as well. The whole hypothetical of this one week you will be able to train harder without weight training seems a bit unrealistic. Because as we all know tri training is an summation of alot of different activities. If my legs are stronger and I have the exact same stamina as the guy next to me with less leg strength, Im taking him in the bike leg. I agree that base training is a major limiter for almost all beginner triathletes but that single fact does not make weight training bad.
2007-03-01 2:03 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I would pick B based on what JK posted. Training is about stressing our bodies and allows enough recovery time to absorb the workload to push our fitness level up. However I would pick A if he already pretty much reached his fitness potential and by adding some extra stress on the form of ST might help.

As I mentioned, the biggest limiter for 99% of the athletes is a solid based hence anytime to allocate to s/b/r will yield better results towards improving that base. Plus you can get strength training while training so it isn’t like you are avoiding it, but it will be very sport specific unlike squatting 3x15 times with 150 pounds which has nothing to do with the forces applied when cycling or running.

Is not about been for or against ST is about utilizing our times as efficient as possible and that’s the biggest problem most of us faced. Now as I mentioned before, for the athletes I help I leave it to them whether they want to go with ST ort not for the reasons I also mentioned before. I don’t advice it, but if it will make them enjoy training better then it is all good as long as they understand the trade off…

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One day Weight Training? Rss Feed  

of 2