Jacksonville Sports and Entertainment Board
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 13s
Overall Rank = /2204
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Scramble to get to the race site. Since it was at the end of the day I had done all my errands and was losing track of time since I had to stop at the mall. A friend from work told me about a pair of shoes
http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?itemid=4535&catid=69
so I tried them on.. I don't see the hoopla and the sense of spending $250.00 on a pair. But I did look at them and tried them on..
After that I looked at my watch and saw 3:00 .. Oops!! What can I say.. I was shopping..
Event warmup:

The only warm up I had was the quick pace and high blood pressure of trying to find a parking spot downtown. It was crazy! and by the time I got there it was 4:28. I finally found a parking spot and himmed and hawed about using my pants and a jacket. I opted to just use my shorts and t-shirt. I grabbed my key and my headphones and started shuffling to the starting line that was now a mile away...
I found my friends and caught up with them and did our 'what are you going to run it in?' convo's and we all decided since it wasn't a timed race and it was totally for fun that we were just gonna run for fun. Wow.. What a concept.

Run
  • 35m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I definitely wasn't hydrated enough since I had cramping and some serious GAS by mile 1.. OI VAY!!
I was hurting!! The 1/2 point water station was not manned by any volunteers. We had to poor our own water. I stayed a for a few mintues to help the older ladies get some water. It did damper my time but still they were those huge heavy jugs that are like huge and heavy.. I was on my again.
What would you do differently?:

HYDRATE!!

Post race
Warm down:

Walk to the Landing to get my free beer, gatorade and banana.
I didn't stay around for the fireworks because I was then cold and everyone was heading over to a restaurant to each and I didn't have wamr clothes on.. It was still a mile back to my car and I didn't want to walk downtown by myself after dark..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, later in the day race.
A lot of what happened was my own doing.. Well, it couldn't be anyone elses.
I will be ready for next weekends 15K though.. It's early in the morning and I'll be fresh and I will also have Chad working on my body come Thursday.. It's gonna be a major prep for me.

Event comments:

This race was a Retro River Run so there were a lot of costumes that were from the 70's .. There was a guy dressed up as Steve Perry.. Classic. and a bunch of Flower children. Quite a few huge afros and some awesome 70's retro costumes. It was some good times.. Always good times in Jax area ;)

Last updated: 2007-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:13 | 03.11 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2204
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly two bridges and a couple of gradual climbs throughout the downtown area and travelled over the St Johns River. The Main bridge and Acosta bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-03 6:27 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: Retro River Run - 5K

2007-03-03 6:37 PM
in reply to: #710381

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Retro River Run - 5K
great job T
2007-03-03 7:42 PM
in reply to: #710381

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Let me get this strait. You were late for a race because you were looking at a pair of SHOES!!! MESSAGE HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice report, I liked the fact you were helping the senior citizens stay hydrated. Forget about the fact that your were back with the senior citizens in the race.   And I'm the one who's old!!!

Nice job and kudos for being a good sport and a good senior citizen!!  

2007-03-03 10:48 PM
in reply to: #710409

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
rstocks3 - 2007-03-03 8:42 PM

Let me get this strait. You were late for a race because you were looking at a pair of SHOES!!! MESSAGE HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice report, I liked the fact you were helping the senior citizens stay hydrated. Forget about the fact that your were back with the senior citizens in the race.   And I'm the one who's old!!!

Nice job and kudos for being a good sport and a good senior citizen!!  

Gerbil.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Retro River Run - 5K Rss Feed