New York Road Runners
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 57s
Overall Rank = 2140/2693
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 345/466
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just before 7, laid in bed for a minute wondering what day it was, then remembered I had a race to get to.
Got dressed, ate a banana and drank some water and was out the door by 7:30.
Got to NYC by 8 and found parking right close to the park near the start, SWEET! Thank you, parking gods!
Picked up my number and shirt, dropped off my bag and called Fi. She was just getting in a cab (the perks of actually living in NYC). Thought about hitting the porta potties, but my fear and loathing of those horrendous things kept me away. I know they're necessary, I just can't stand them.
Event warmup:

Did a quick half mile to warm up - but since I've been feeling less than 100% in terms of energy, I stopped after that.
Got in line with the 10 min/milers and waited for Fi to show up. She did get there after they sang the national anthem... so there were a few moments of silent cursing that she'd flaked on me, but for nothing. I'll work on that positive attitude.
Run
  • 42m 57s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not wrap or do anything to my left knee/leg - bad idea. I paid for it, too. I've got a therma-care wrap on it now and will definitely foam roller the hell out of it later.
I felt great until that pain kicked in, then there was alot of self-doubt creepin' in the head - had to push myself - because there were times I was thinking, just walk, its not that important to keep running.
We did walk the water stations, I took water at mile 1 and 2, but skipped drinking after that.
We didn't talk much while running, just kept our tunes going, which was fine. I kinda overdressed. This was a balmy, almost warm day to run considering the last few races have been in the teens!
I missed Jen on this run, she'd have had us cross that line much sooner.

What would you do differently?:

Wrap my knee, tiger balm it or something for crying out loud.

Post race
Warm down:

Got a bagel and an apple and chowed down. Was surprised how hungry I was. My stomach had been kinda flippy that morning, but I had ignored it.
Met up with Fi's hubby, Nelson, who missed us crossing the finish line because he said he was expecting us to be slower... (um, okay) so no picture of us finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My friggin' left leg.
My cycle.
Overall I'm happy because I got to run with Fiona and see her strengths as a runner.

Event comments:

Another great race by NYRR.
Maybe next year I'll do the 15K.
4 down 5 to go!

Last updated: 2007-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:57 | 04 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/466
Overall: 0/2693
Performance: Average
These are estimates because I hit my watch too soon on mile 1. mile 1: 11:00 (very crowded, hard to get in the groove) mile 2: 10:06 (we were bookin'!) mile 3: 11:20 (hilliest part of the course, also knee pain factor) mile 4: 10:50 (got that "i see the flippin' finish line" boost)
Course: 4-Mile Start on Central Park’s East Drive at 68th Street and head north. Turn left/west onto the 102nd Street Transverse and then left/south on West Drive. Continue to the 72nd Street Transverse, turning left/east to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-11 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: NYRR Colon Cancer Challenge 4M

2007-03-11 7:25 PM
in reply to: #718953

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: NYRR Colon Cancer Challenge 4M
Very nice run Mary- sure hope the leg gets better for the 1/2!!! Way to push through the pain!!!
2007-03-12 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice job!  A 4 miler sounds like a great distance, next year I'll do it with you!  I know the pain was tough, but I'm proud of you for running through it
2007-03-12 10:06 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Hi Mary -
Wish I knew you were racing - I would have looked you up and cheered you on.

I ran the 4 mile as well - i had been aiming for the 15k, but with my hamstring injury, I knew 9 miles was a bad idea. The past few weeks have been miserable for me. So, i just went for a leisurely 4 mile run and I was just enjoying it all - hearing the other runners have discussions or huff and puff or hearing the birds in the park (yes, they were chirping during the race). THings that I would normally never notice. I added on some miles afterwards and was on top of the world because my hammy was fine. Then my friends did the 15k and they were racing it, and sure enough, there was nothing but complaining afterwards.

So, what I'm saying is that don't get too down on yourself. You're fighting through an injury and it sucks and it feels like it will never get better. But accept that it's a minor setback, and enjoy the fact that you were out there on a nice day and you did finish a tough course. Something that many, many others can't say they did.

Next race for me is the Scotland Run - are you doing that? I hope to be fully healed for that one.
2007-03-12 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey, one other thing.  My mother is a colon cancer survivor, ten years now.  I just wanted to thank you for running in this particular race.  It means so much.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Colon Cancer Challenge 4M Rss Feed