Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 13s
Overall Rank = 1359/1950
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 261/342
Pre-race routine:

Well I arrived in Orange County on Tuesday and went to my dad's shop and found the wetsuit I rented was a Women's large, I'm 5' 10" and 205lb, so after find the number I was able to get them to overnight a wetsuit for friday cause it was to late to get it on thursday, so the plan to try some open water swimming. so did some rides and runs around my dad's house I forgot how hill his area was. On friday was able to have lunch with some BT's and got some great tips on the course, while at lunch the owner of the wetsuit company called and told me he was in San Diego and would get me a wetsuit if the one they sent did not get to me on time. I thought that was pretty nice of the company, the company is wetsuitrental.com, they where on the bt website in one of the forums. was able to ride around the harbor and see the car in the harbor and the boat standing straight up, did about 7 miles with hans, wnet back to my dad's and tried my trisuit with the wetsuit and then tried it with armwarms and then pack my bags about three times, down and gatorade and some water, eat some sport beans and went to bed, got up in the middle of the night and went pee and drank more water, got up about 4:15 and went down, place out my stuff about three or four times, did had to use the porta potties and almost lost the power bar i put down, went back lube and put sun screen on then the wetsuit, which fit great, I put on two race caps, the first one was fine the second shoot of my head and went about 10 feet in the air and caught by the guy next ot me how asked if this was my first tri, wore a pair of my dad's Boots Aussie Dogs Like uggs but better, to the start so my feet where so nice and warm, was scared the water was going to be really cold but it turned out to be really nice,
Event warmup:

Small jog just too get the blood flowing
Swim
  • 39m 1s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

felt good for being in a wetsuit for the first time, I expected to have to fight for position but it really wasn't to bad, the suit was so bouynt(sp) that I had to tell myself to kick, but I stayed close to other people hoping that they knew where they where going, Next thing I new I started to see other color caps and kept going made the fist turn and started to see even more differnt color caps, I was feeling good, then the caps from behind started to catch me then when I got to the dock then the color behind the wave behind showed up, I had a really had time with the sun and did a ton of weaving at the end, but I felt good and got out and went up ramp, I stoped to have a guy help me I did not need that, and walked back to TR 1, should have jogged.
What would you do differently?:

scout course better, not have someone help me with my suit because its a long way back to the TR1 and jogged back.
Transition 1
  • 06m 53s
Comments:

took to long with eating a banna and drinking some gatorade, and putting on sunscreen, and not jogging from the swim

eat and drank on the bike and had the helper put on sunscreen
Bike
  • 3h 01m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I start with a big small and end with even the a bigger smile, I started with my heart rate in the 140's and was able to stay there the whole time except up hills, the fist big hill in the camp and wow, but after that hill I hit them hard and was alot better, but i felt good great and loved the ride, felt I could of done even better, but then I hit the run and wow maydy I should have stayed in the 130's not

work on hills and stay in down in aero.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

felt alot better then the tr1

I put sunscreen on and I still got burned, maybe use the helper to spay a better coat of spray.
Run
  • 2h 24m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great for the first 2 miles and was around 9 min miles, then I started to slow down and it just got worse from thier, I felt like I was in the stream and going to slow motion as everone just blew by me, I made it to a guy walking then runing I thought I think I can stay with him, then after 20min of catching him then passing then him running by and next thing I know he was gone, but it was my knees felt they where going to fall off, I felt good for energy and strength but my knees justed killed me. on the second lap I was looking a the surf and saying to myself that cut off was like 3 hours away and i think i can find a board and surf for about an hour or so and just soak my knees waiting for a good wave. but i kept going and just took it even slower. I did get a small kick in the final 200 yards.

work on longer runs and more sprints to get the knees to ready for the next on.
Post race
Warm down:

finished and almost cried cause I didn't really think i could do it. It was just a shock that i made it and felt good except for the knees. went back and was scared to switch in to other clothes with out falling over, was surpised when My wife called me right when i got back to my bike. she was telling my how she was so proud and was yelling at the computer for me to finish. I then called my father to find out if they saw me, He stated he got there at 10:50 and waited till 1:00 I got into the Tr2 at 1045 and finished at 1:05 so my daughter was not able to see me. oh well, she got to play on the beach. when I made it to my dad's place I had to use both hands on the railing to make it up the stairs. had a great dinner with Han's and his Wife

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my knees

Event comments:

the aids stations where great the helpers, the helpers where cheerfull and supportive. the Marines where awsome. I tried to thank each one i could before, during and after.

Last updated: 2007-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:01 | 1931 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 198/342
Overall: 1121/1950
Performance: Good
While swiming to the start the guy with the horn was say 10 sec to the start and I'm about 50 feet from the start line, so a quick swim to get into position and then we where off
Suit: Full Orca
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:01:42 | 56 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 234/342
Overall: 1113/1950
Performance: Good
heart about 140 for most of the time
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: good, flat at first with slight incline, then some good hills in the camp and fast back side with a head wind
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:24:22 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 287/342
Overall: 1598/1950
Performance: Below average
150hr
Course: not to bad, some small hills but great aid stations
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-05 12:24 AM

User image

Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2007-04-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #749724

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Hey Kevin, it was nice meeting you and the rest of the folks for Lunch on Friday.

Sounds like you had a good race out there and finished strong. Oh, and very glad to hear that your wetsuit troubles were resolved but wish you could have had some time to get used to the darn thing before the cannon fired.

Great job out there and congratulations on your Ironman Finish

Rest and Recover well
2007-04-05 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Outstanding job on your Ironman completion. You did it, and are a champion!

During your training, and seing how steady you were at training and improving your pace, I remember telling you would have no problems breaking 6hr 30min. And you did. We are all so proud of your accomplishments, and now, you have to come back next year and break 6 hours. With consistent training and fitness dedication, you should have no problems. You are at the optimum weight, you broke less than 200lbs (Oh yes, did you have to shave the mustache?). I know Jade did not want that.

Anyhow, great report, and great job! Keep up that great work. Great having dinner saturday night, that steak was awesome.

2007-04-05 8:26 PM

User image

Yes, I shave the the stash yesterday before i went to the Fire station, knees feel great. I'll call tomorrow,
2007-04-07 1:49 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great RR - love reading how all of us did there.

It is too bad our knees are limiting factors but the real thought should not be how our knees hold us back, bt theat WE can do it. I am glad you did well and hope you have a great race season.
2007-04-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #752436

User image

Expert
Central New York
Great RR. You not only made it, you finished well. Sorry I didn't make it out to lunch on Friday. Congratulations.

TriDDS - 2007-04-07 11:49 AM

the real thought should not be how our knees hold us back, bt that WE can do it.

Totally agreed. Whenever I'm feeling frustrated by the throbbing in my knees, all I have to do is remind myself that our joints weren't meant for this kind of pounding. Every mile I go after that is a bonus.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed