United States
84?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 10s
Overall Rank = 26/31
Age Group = 33
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Dry Cheerios and a Powerbar with water on the ride over (3hrs+ before start) A few more Cheerios and Accelerade after getting set up. Finished the Accelerade and a gel about 30 pre race. The delay because of the pool start threw me a little bit. I need to work on my pre-race nutrition because I have a bit of a sensitive stomach with exercise.
Swim
  • 09m 35s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T! was run transition and T2 was run to bike. Both transition went pretty well.
Bike
  • 47m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. I had some mechanical issues on the first lap because my bike needs some adjustments. The bike shop adjusted it just enough to get me through the race because of time. It started not working quite right just a few days befoer the race. I got those under control and the next 2 laps went very well. I passed a few people and felt pretty comfortable on the course. Pre-riding the course the weekend before definately help me a lot. I tried to hit the hills well and power up them. THe laps made it difficuklt to get into a good cadence and speed, there were a few times when I felt like I could go faster but people were in my way or there were a lot of close turns. By having multiple laps there was a mix of slow and fast riders all stuck together and I kept feeling caught in the middle since I'm not as fast or as slow as the 2 groups.
What would you do differently?:

Have my bike working correctly.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This race was a swim run bike so I just dismounted at the line and ran (OK a weird looking waddle) across the finish line.
Run
  • 37m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I'm not a strong runner and I knew this would be the toughest so I went in with a plan to run 8 min then walk 2 to get through it and I almost suceeded. Near the end I ran about 5 mintues walked about 30 seconds and then finished it up. I had a bit of an upset stomach during the run I hydrated for a warm day and then it was a bit cloudy and not real hot. I also feel like I swallowed a bunch of pool water. I need to work on my nutrition and hydration schedule for future races.
What would you do differently?:

Other than be in better shape and run the whole thing it went pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to cool down, got a big hug from the hubby, then I stretched out and walked some more to get recovered, checked out the post race food, got a massage and went home for a short nap before a post race dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly fitness level in the run. I was happy with my swim and bike perfomrance. I could use some technique improvements in the swim and bike, but overall I was pleased.

Event comments:

I DID IT!! I'm so excited to be a triathlete after a year of hitting snags in my training I really just wanted to go out and get one under my belt even if I wasn't quite ready for the run. I really enjoyed myself and the physical and mental challenge it presented me. I definately feel like a stronger person today.

Last updated: 2004-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:35 | 400 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/31
Performance:
I felt like I lost some time having to go under the lane lines to start the next lap, but I was only passed by one person and there was a big gap right behind me.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:22 | 10 miles | 12.67 mile/hr
Overall: 21/31
Performance: Good
4 laps of about 2.5 miles each. It felt more like a time trial or something, but it was good for spectators. It got congested at the end of each lap because of the turns in a parking lot and they marked you as you rode by each time to count the laps but overall it was pretty good.
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat with really only one good sized hill that felt like it was getting bigger and longer with each lap.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:14 | 03 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 26/31
Performance: Below average
Course: It was a nice run course almost entirely on trials which were in the shade and nice and soft. Only one good sized hill on the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-08-31 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Subject: Fit and Able

2004-08-31 11:26 PM
in reply to: #55960

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Fit and Able
Congratulations Triathlete!! Now to plan for the next one!
2004-09-01 12:36 PM
in reply to: #55960

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Fit and Able
It was a fun race and like you, my wife and both boys were able to see what a triathlon is like. The oldest participated and again asked me this morning if I had found another triathlon for him to do. They are going with me to Wilmington in a few weeks to see what a huge triathlon is like. It will be interesting.

If you want another one for the season, there is a new one at Emerald Isle on the 25th of September. Go to active.com and search for the the North Carolina events. It is a sprint length race with the swim being in the Atlantic. I'm still debating whether to run that one since it is the week after Wilmington, but I probably will.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fit and Able Rss Feed